"Up to the Minute Dratf Order" According to ESPN 2005 Draft Site

Randy White

Reaction score
What you guys are posting is tie-braking procedures. My question is, what does that have to do with the draft order when it comes to teams that are not tied ?

AceofSpades

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No sir.

http://www.nfl.com/news/981202ties.html

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING
If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.
2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

Thats not what I remember and thats not what Sportsline.com says.

"Draft positions 1-20 are determined by record, the team with the worst record during the regular season picks first and so on. If two teams have the same record, the strength of schedule tie-breaker is used which is the combined winning percentage of all teams on each team's schedule for the current season. If teams are still tied after strength of schedule has been applied, the division or conference tie breakers are used. If teams are still tied after applying all tiebreakers or if two teams are tied that are in different conferences, a coin toss after the season will determnine which team gets priority.

Playoff teams fill out positions 21-32 based on the round in which they exit the playoffs. If you do not see your team above, if the season ended today, they would be in the playoffs."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Randy White said:
What you guys are posting is tie-braking procedures. My question is, what does that have to do with the draft order when it comes to teams that are not tied ?
The heading was "Tie Breaking Procedures For Selection Meeting." That is the Draft.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Where's Adam when we need him? This stuff's like simple arithmetic for him.

Randy White

Reaction score
Playoff teams fill out positions 21-32 based on the round in which they exit the playoffs. If you do not see your team above, if the season ended today, they would be in the playoffs."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update

Exactly what I remembered.

It doesn't make any sense for a playoff team to draft ahead of a non-playoff team. The draft is looked at as a counter balance for teams that do NOT make the playoffs, regardless of their record, because it is assumed that if a team does not make the playoffs, it usually means that team does not have a good record.

Randy White

Reaction score
we might lose the tie breaker to the Deadskins. I'm looking at their schedule and the differences are only two teams. The Deadskins played the 49ers and Bucs, while we played the Seahawks and Saints.

The Seahawks made the playoffs, while neither the 49ers or Bucs didn't, so that equals an easier schedule, which means they win the tie braker.

zagnut

Reaction score
Hostile said:
No sir.

http://www.nfl.com/news/981202ties.html

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.
2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

What you quoted has no bearing on non-playoff teams. It is only for tie breaking procedures for playoff teams with same records.

Outside of the coin flips, the first 20 picks are set at the end of the last week of the regular season. Playoff teams within each segment of the playoffs are slotted separately because they will have played more games than non-playoff teams.

EDIT: Nevermind. Playoffs games appear to only count for the purpose of breaking ties among playoff teams and aren't factors in schedule strength or final record. At least according to last year's order:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6962973

Randy White

Reaction score
to win the tie braker against the Giants because they have a better division record than us. 3-3 them, 2-4 us.

Randy White

Reaction score
going to win the tie breaker against Detroit because the Packers and the Vikings made the playoffs, which means Detroit's schedule is automatically stronger than ours.

I think

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
I don't care what you guys quote . . . I'll bet dollars to donuts that Playoff teams take draft picks 20-32 . . .

Therefore, our Buffalo pick IS NOT 20, or 21.

Randy White

Reaction score
I think we're going to beat out Arizona because they faced 7 playoffs teams while we faced only 6. Meaning their schedule is also stronger than ours.

AceofSpades

Reaction score
Midswat said:
I don't care what you guys quote . . . I'll bet dollars to donuts that Playoff teams take draft picks 20-32 . . .

Therefore, our Buffalo pick IS NOT 20, or 21.

Playoff teams pick 21-32.

Our picks are #11 and #19.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
AceofSpades said:

Okay . . .

Well . . . I can live with that (like I have a choice) . . .

I'm going to bed . . .

Wake me up on draft day.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
So...

It's either 8, 9 or 11 and 19, 20 or 21. :muttley:

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
AceofSpades said:

That's my thought too.

Playoff teams pick after non-playoff teams hence why we were rooting for Buffalo to lose today.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
From www.gbnreport.com

UNOFFICIAL 2005 DRAFT
1st-ROUND SELECTION ORDER
X - final position still to be detemined by playoff results
# Team W-L Opponents'
W-L %
1 San Francisco 2-14 .488
2 Miami 4-12 .555
3 Cleveland 4-12 .590
4 Chicago 5-11 .465