"What is he thinking?" Mock draft.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4366204 said:
I think you first have to fix the "foundation" i.e. the offensive line.

Secondly I think this defense isn't far from being a legit top-10 defense.

Then you have the whole salary cap thing. I'm not interested in this team being a competitor this coming season. I want it to be a competitor for the next 5 seasons, and spending lots of money on free agents isn't the way to do it IMO... See the Washington Commanders. You've got the Cowboys signing WAY TOO MANY free agents. That's not going to happen.

Finally I think Desean Jackson, while being a nice talent is a very unstable force. I can just think the trouble Jackson & Bryant could get into. No way.

I'd call bringing in a 6-time pro-bowl center, the top guard in the draft, and the top guard in FA, plus OT depth "fixing the foundation".

I tend to agree with you about the defense. But, I also believe it's not far from a bottom-10 defense as well, which is what it was this year. My point is that defense no longer wins championships. You HAVE to be able to score points. Lets play to our strengths by making them stronger.

Except for being in a rap music video, Bryant has not shown any interest in the "hood life" or any of the accompaniments that come along with it.

The only aging player that I proposed bringing in is Matt Birk, who is 36, he can easily hold down the fort while Killa Kowalski learns for 2 more years.

With one cut, the Cowboys can be $28mil under the cap. They can sign good young players to promising contracts that are market-fair and still be competitive with those players for 5 seasons.

You think Brandon Carr, Desean Jackson, or Carl Nicks are going to just fall off the face of the planet after the 2012 season would close?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think your expectations for the Cowboys activity when it comes to free agency is much greater than what the Cowboys are actually going to deliver.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4366309 said:
I think your expectations for the Cowboys activity when it comes to free agency is much greater than what the Cowboys are actually going to deliver.

I know it is. I never said that I thought this was remotely close to what's really going to happen. :laugh2:

Just that I had a vision of the Cowboys offense being even more explosive than NO, and this is how it could happen. In one offseason.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sureletsrace;4366545 said:
I know it is. I never said that I thought this was remotely close to what's really going to happen. :laugh2:

Just that I had a vision of the Cowboys offense being even more explosive than NO, and this is how it could happen. In one offseason.

LOL!

OK. I can understand that POV.

If you want to do one that's more accurate, trying putting one together where say the Cowboys sign one offensive and one defensive free agent from other teams... Now signing the Cowboy's own free agents wouldn't count against that figure.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4366596 said:
LOL!

OK. I can understand that POV.

If you want to do one that's more accurate, trying putting one together where say the Cowboys sign one offensive and one defensive free agent from other teams... Now signing the Cowboy's own free agents wouldn't count against that figure.

I did just that last week. It's my much more realistic mock draft.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227708

What do you think about that one?

burmafrd

Reaction score
have you bothered at all to do a little reading on Desean Jackson?

Anything at all beyond stats?

Because it seems clearly that you have not figured out that he is a true locker room cancer.

Or are you someone that has not figured out there is no I in TEAM?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
burmafrd;4366657 said:

Because it seems clearly that you have not figured out that he is a true locker room cancer.

He's also not around the most positive, high-character group of individuals in the world. Put him in the locker room that has Witten, Ware, Sean Lee, and Romo in it and give him a chance to grow up and be a man. If he can, then the Cowboys win. If he doesn't, at least he makes plays.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
sureletsrace;4365095 said:
After watching the Saints last night, I have received a vision of a draft that you all must see.

Go ahead and mock my mock, but this is where the NFL is headed.

Free Agency: Carl Nicks, Desean Jackson, Matt Birk, Laron Landry, Brandon Carr, Vernon Carey

There's where you lost me... you really need to factor in the reality of the salary cap before cranking out a laundry list of likely to be expensive players that you covet... the Boys will have some cap flexibility, but not that kind of flexibility... they'd be doing well to sign 3 of those players (and I want nothing to do with Jackson or Landry anyway)...

silverbear

Reaction score
:banghead:
sureletsrace;4366168 said:
This offense does not have nearly as many weapons as we've all been giving it credit for.

It's got DeMarco Murray, a rising stud RB.
Jason Witten, ol' reliable.
Dez Bryant, who is a good #2.
Miles Austin cannot stay healthy and I don't trust him to.
Martellus Bennett is an excellent run-blocking TE, that's about it.
Felix Jones is a glass cannon.
Laurent Robinson more than likely will not be here next year, even if he is, he's had a career full of injury history, he was excellent this year but what if he goes down?

That's the problem. This offense is so top-heavy that when one or two pieces go missing, as a defense you just adjust your coverage.

Austin and Felix out? Double Witten and Bryant and the Cowboys can't do ANYTHING.

With my idea, we'd be SO deep. That's why I listed potential depth charts.

Austin and Felix out? Okay. Murray is still the hammer, LaMichael James fills in as the change of pace/screen back, we can go 2TE set with capable receiving TE's in Witten/Green, or could just simply go 4WR with Dez/Laurent/Desean/Maze, or line up LaMichael James at WR. Or Jeff Demps.

This offense would have so much explosion and so many weapons that our yearly injuries to our starting WR and RB wouldn't affect us.

Sigh... all I have left at this point is to say "ridiculous"... I'm talking mind-numbing lunacy here...

silverbear

Reaction score
sureletsrace;4366545 said:

Really, all you need to accomplish that is sign Nicks in free agency, draft DeCastro or Cordy Glenn, and re-sign Laurent Robinson... you'd then have a team with a top offensive line, set at LT (Tyron Smith), LG (DeCastro), C (insert name here), RG (Nicks) and RT (Free)... at the skill positions, you'd have a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback, a nice wide receiver depth chart with one Pro Bowler (Austin, Bryant, Robinson), a very nice two deep at running back (Murray and Felix) and one of the game's best tight ends, another multi-time Pro Bowler...

You'd then have an offense with 6 Pro Bowl caliber players-- Romo, Murray, Witten, Austin, Nicks and Tyron... if you can't win with that, you don't know how to win...

Which is not to say the offense couldn't use a little more talent, but it would be more backup help-- a third offensive tackle, one more running back, a second tight end, that kind of thing... you could add contenders for all of those jobs later in the draft (I did like your choice of Demps, he'd fit in nicely)...

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd;4366657 said:

Somebody didn't learn the lesson that TO taught us... LOL...

VACowboy

Reaction score
I actually agree with the OP's premise. His plan is just a...tad...unrealistic.