Rafael Vela... Pittsburgh observations on Romo and Newman

kramskoi

Reaction score
A sobering analysis of two players important to the Cowboys hopes of post season success:

This confirms one of my fears about Romo's tendency to key on Witten...safeties are getting wise to this and Romo did'nt take advantage of it against Pittsburgh.

Furthermore, it might indicate that Romo is'nt seeing the entire field as he seems too eager to look for only Witten or Owens.

It also revisits the question of just what else is ailing Newman, now that he's had his surgery.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/12/8/684562/yip-city-romo-and-newman-w

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:
It also revisits the question of just what else is ailing Newman, now that he's had his surgery.

Questioning newman? That's WEAK! Newman gave up just one big long play because he bit on a double move, but even then recovered well, and the ball was completed just over his reach. That same drive was the one where Pitt was stopped on three goal-to-go plays, given another chance by the refs on a horsecrap offsides call against Ellis, and then stpped again on 4 goal-to-go plays. Didn't seem anything was "ailing" Newman then, nor on any other play the rest of the game. :rolleyes:

kramskoi

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2472614 said:
Questioning newman? That's WEAK! Newman gave up just one big long play because he bit on a double move, but even then recovered well, and the ball was completed just over his reach. That same drive was the one where Pitt was stopped on three goal-to-go plays, given another chance by the refs on a horsecrap offsides call against Ellis, and then stpped again on 4 goal-to-go plays. Didn't seem anything was "ailing" Newman then, nor on any other play the rest of the game. :rolleyes:

Well its not me stating this and i'll have to look at the entire game again on NFL.com but i've always liked Vela's analysis and thought it was interesting.

-----------------------
Late in the 3rd, two plays after Nick Folk's field goal had put Dallas up 13-3, the Steelers faced a 3rd-and-16. They were going into a stiff wind. They had amassed just 96 total yards to this point. Steelers OC Bruce Arians called a go route to Santonio Holmes. Newman was playing ten yards off Holmes and the snap and was in good position to track him down the field. But Newman squatted for a split second at 18 yards, expecting a deep in or comeback at the first down mark. That brief hesitation let Holmes separate a step. He caught Roethlisberger's bomb for 47 yards.

The Cowboys stopped the Steelers on this drive with a salty goal-line stand, but the play changed the nature of the game. The Steelers were on their 20 yard line at the time. Dallas had scored 10 points on its two 3rd quarter drives. An incompletion here would have forced a punt into the wind, and neither Sam Paulescu or Mitch Berger could kick more than 30 yards into it. Dallas was looking at a start near mid-field with the wind and a chance for an early knockout.

What's worse, it helped the Steelers single out Newman as a target. Holmes beat him for 12 yards on the left sideline several plays later, when Roethlisberger was scrambing away from intense pressure and looking for a lifeline. Holmes burned Newman again on the following play but Roethlisberger overthew him in the left back corner of the end zone.
The Steelers went back at Newman two series later, after getting a field goal from a three-play, two-yard drive. After Nate Washington caught a hook for 14 yards in front of Anthony Henry, the Steelers went no-huddle, in part to prevent a review of Washington's questionable catch. Washington ran a square in away from Newman, who gave the Steeler a ten-yard cushion. Newman offered a tepid chase, as Washington cut through the secondary for 21 yards, to the Dallas 32.

80 late Pittsburgh passing yards came over and in front of Newman, who does not look like himself. When he's healthy, Newman has acceleration few can match. That zip is missing. He's not 100% right now and might never be this year. I would be surprised if the Giants don't test him early next week.
----------------------------------

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I do agree with this as a criticism of Romo, and I think it's a big reason why TO was going off on the sideline as the final seconds ticked away. He's not dumb. He could tell Witten was getting practically every look.

We have too many weapons to focus solely on one or two guys. Owens, Williams and Witten and all win their individual matchups. So can Crayton in the slot. So, too, can Bennett, and our running backs are even good in the flat.

It becomes insignificant to have so many talented players if Romo will ignore the vast majority of them.

To a large degree, we made it easy for Pittsburgh today.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Vela's simply wrong to blame Newman for the 21-yarder. We were in a zone, and Washington left Newman's zone. He caught it behind Spencer's zone and in front of Hamlin's zone.

Boysboy

Reaction score
kramskoi;2472625 said:
Well its not me stating this and i'll have to look at the entire game again on NFL.com but i've always liked Vela's analysis and thought it was interesting.

-----------------------
Late in the 3rd, two plays after Nick Folk's field goal had put Dallas up 13-3, the Steelers faced a 3rd-and-16. They were going into a stiff wind. They had amassed just 96 total yards to this point. Steelers OC Bruce Arians called a go route to Santonio Holmes. Newman was playing ten yards off Holmes and the snap and was in good position to track him down the field. But Newman squatted for a split second at 18 yards, expecting a deep in or comeback at the first down mark. That brief hesitation let Holmes separate a step. He caught Roethlisberger's bomb for 47 yards.

The Cowboys stopped the Steelers on this drive with a salty goal-line stand, but the play changed the nature of the game. The Steelers were on their 20 yard line at the time. Dallas had scored 10 points on its two 3rd quarter drives. An incompletion here would have forced a punt into the wind, and neither Sam Paulescu or Mitch Berger could kick more than 30 yards into it. Dallas was looking at a start near mid-field with the wind and a chance for an early knockout.

What's worse, it helped the Steelers single out Newman as a target. Holmes beat him for 12 yards on the left sideline several plays later, when Roethlisberger was scrambing away from intense pressure and looking for a lifeline. Holmes burned Newman again on the following play but Roethlisberger overthew him in the left back corner of the end zone.
The Steelers went back at Newman two series later, after getting a field goal from a three-play, two-yard drive. After Nate Washington caught a hook for 14 yards in front of Anthony Henry, the Steelers went no-huddle, in part to prevent a review of Washington's questionable catch. Washington ran a square in away from Newman, who gave the Steeler a ten-yard cushion. Newman offered a tepid chase, as Washington cut through the secondary for 21 yards, to the Dallas 32.

80 late Pittsburgh passing yards came over and in front of Newman, who does not look like himself. When he's healthy, Newman has acceleration few can match. That zip is missing. He's not 100% right now and might never be this year. I would be surprised if the Giants don't test him early next week.
----------------------------------

Healthy or no, this has been the story for several years now-NOT putting the final nail in other teams' coffin.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
RainMan;2472632 said:
I do agree with this as a criticism of Romo, and I think it's a big reason why TO was going off on the sideline as the final seconds ticked away. He's not dumb. He could tell Witten was getting practically every look.

We have too many weapons to focus solely on one or two guys. Owens, Williams and Witten and all win their individual matchups. So can Crayton in the slot. So, too, can Bennett, and our running backs are even good in the flat.

It becomes insignificant to have so many talented players if Romo will ignore the vast majority of them.

Amen.....:hammer:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I agree with Vela on Romo, he seems to have tunnel vision quite often, usually locking in on Witten and if not him than T.O.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Interesting how vela always talks about this game tape.

Newsflash. You cant see the whole field on tv, you cant see what is happening deep in the secondary. You get one angle. You dont know the plays that are called.

lafuenberg said during the game that romo missed some open throws. One big one to crayton. Romo and every other qb miss open wr when a team has a pass rush like that and the wind is bad. And laufenberg commented 3 times that owens stopped on routes, one was the int and the other was the 3rd and 10 on the last possession, he just stopped running thinking it wasnt coming his way and then tried to catch up. But on TV it looks like romo just threw a ball down the field to no one. But you wont hear about that, because on tv you couldnt see it.

and as far as newman goes. he gave up an unforgiveable play on 3rd and 16, that simply cant happen. IMO he allowed them back in the game. that play although didnt bring points at the end of the drive allowed Ben to settle down and changed the steelers mindset to protecting ben and being in a shell to allowing him to throw it down the field. After that play wr were all of a sudden open throughout the 4th qtr.

and newman got his bell rung early and they thought he had a concussion.

montgod

Reaction score
RainMan;2472632 said:

I totally agree. And I think the main person that needs to be angry is Roy Williams. They were giving him 10 yards all day long. It's ridiculous!

I think it's a number of things though. First off, I think the Garrett's play calling is horrible. He focuses too much on the long ball instead of WRs making crisp routes... this is why no one ever seems open!

Secondly, Romo doesn't check down enough and focuses on one person or whoever is b......ing the most. Just get it to the open man.

We should have won this game. These are the two reasons/people why we didn't.

Of course, the Oline was an issue after Holland went down, but we should have been up more than one touchdown by then.

Road Warrior

Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:
Furthermore, it might indicate that Romo is'nt seeing the entire field as he seems too eager to look for only Witten or Owens.

:hammer:

I've been saying this for weeks

sbark

Reaction score
In Romo's defense--once Holland went out, I could see Romo's internal clock speed up, he could not have the confidence that the Oline would hold...and Proctor didnt

a QB is not gonna see all the open routes---but Romo missed probably more than his share...

Was anyone running any crossing patterns vrs Steelers.......did Romo hit a crossing pattern.....my memory tells be routes were vertical, with the swing passes to Choice

Garrett----why not some controlled rollouts, move the pocket as the Skins used to do with a "shorter" Theisman...

Smith22

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2472708 said:
Vela's simply wrong to blame Newman for the 21-yarder. We were in a zone, and Washington left Newman's zone. He caught it behind Spencer's zone and in front of Hamlin's zone.

Agreed. We were in zone. I'm not sure what he wanted Newman to do on that play.

aikemirv

Reaction score
RainMan;2472632 said:

Was Witten not open on both plays? Int return and 4th down.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I love this whole "Romo keying in on Witten" or "Romo targeting TO"

I mean.... whoda thunk it? Romo throwing to one of his receiving threat options.... yeah teams have figured this out?

Unless fans start running on to field to catch passes.... seems pretty easy to figure out.

:banghead:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:
A sobering analysis of two players important to the Cowboys hopes of post season success:

This confirms one of my fears about Romo's tendency to key on Witten...safeties are getting wise to this and Romo did'nt take advantage of it against Pittsburgh.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/12/8/684562/yip-city-romo-and-newman-w

one example is the left-handed throw to Roy in the endzone, Roy was open for a good while before that

the sad part of the thing was that he was the closest WR on the side of the field Tony was running to, and Tony still didn't see him/look for him

JeffInDC

Reaction score
tench;2472887 said:
:hammer:

I've been saying this for weeks

And, as much as I love what Romo has done for this team, this flaw is EXACTLY why he isn't on the level of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Look at Brady's numbers (including last years). They will show you that he will INDEED find whoever is open. Last year, it just so happened that Welker and Moss seemd to be open all the time. but, even before Moss and Welker showed up, he was the master of "truly" scanning the field and finding anybody that was open. And, we all know that Manning has been doing that for years. Romo needs to understand that he is never going to learn how to trust receiving options other than T.O. and Witten if he DOESN'T throw them the damn ball.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
JeffInDC;2473075 said:
And, as much as I love what Romo has done for this team, this flaw is EXACTLY why he isn't on the level of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Look at Brady's numbers (including last years). They will show you that he will INDEED find whoever is open. Last year, it just so happened that Welker and Moss seemd to be open all the time. but, even before Moss and Welker showed up, he was the master of "truly" scanning the field and finding anybody that was open. And, we all know that Manning has been doing that for years. Romo needs to understand that he is never going to learn how to trust receiving options other than T.O. and Witten if he DOESN'T throw them the damn ball.

I wonder what you thought of Peyton Manning when His team got beat 34-0 in NY at the hands of the jets?

or when he threw multiple interceptions to the same guys on the new england team to cost his team their season.

or in 06 when he was the guy playing poor in the playoffs, but the defense and special teams and running game carried them to the superbowl where manning then made the throws to get his team a win.

Be patient. there is alot of football left.

Romo is going to light up the scoreboard sunday night. I just hope we have enough healthy bodies going forward.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2472614 said:
Questioning newman? That's WEAK!

Heaven forbid anyone ever question Newman. I mean, what nerve!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Vela said:
Having looked again at the tape, I'm now convinced that Garrett crossed up Pittsburgh, calling a key play for an ancillary Cowboys target. He did this in a similar situation last year against the Giants, when he called a 3rd and long for Sam Hurd with Dallas clinging to a three point lead late.

It didn't cross up Pittsburgh. Their players stated that Dick LeBeau prepared them for that play as soon as we lined up in Trips formation.