Rafael Vela... Pittsburgh observations on Romo and Newman

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Alexander;2473160 said:
Heaven forbid anyone ever question Newman. I mean, what nerve!

well I put the game changing/momentum changing play on newman. that 3rd and 16. he slipped, but that is part of the game.

and at the same time, I know he went out there and played with a concussion because he felt he needed to be out there.

Its just a tough stinking loss, especially when your star players are at fault.

unlike many of our crazy losses this team has produced, for the first time its directly related to all of our best players playing poorly.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:
A sobering analysis of two players important to the Cowboys hopes of post season success:

This confirms one of my fears about Romo's tendency to key on Witten...safeties are getting wise to this and Romo did'nt take advantage of it against Pittsburgh.

Furthermore, it might indicate that Romo is'nt seeing the entire field as he seems too eager to look for only Witten or Owens.

It also revisits the question of just what else is ailing Newman, now that he's had his surgery.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/12/8/684562/yip-city-romo-and-newman-w

Late in the game down 13-20 on a critical 3rd or 4th down (can't remember which) Romo tried to hit a triple covered TO in the end zone for the tie. Leading up to then they had been methodically moving the ball down the field.. During that replay it clearly showed that Marterllus Bennett lined up on the same side as TO and ran a post route in the middle of the field. He was clearly in Romo's line of sight and had his hand up asking for it. There was nothing but real estate in front of him. The middle was WIDE OPEN! Instead Romo forced it into triple coverage on TO in the end zone.

My reaction: :ralph:

bigE79

Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:
A sobering analysis of two players important to the Cowboys hopes of post season success:

This confirms one of my fears about Romo's tendency to key on Witten...safeties are getting wise to this and Romo did'nt take advantage of it against Pittsburgh.

Furthermore, it might indicate that Romo is'nt seeing the entire field as he seems too eager to look for only Witten or Owens.

It also revisits the question of just what else is ailing Newman, now that he's had his surgery.

I hope no one takes offense to this but i really wish we would stop posting this stuff cause you know the SPHINCTER FANS that come on this board trolling just love to see us giving OUR team crap and giving the SPHINCTERS credit for a win that had NO reason to get, i think we should do what SPHINCTER fans do after a loss, pretend it didnt happen and never talk about it again,jmho:star:

Smith22

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2473191 said:
Late in the game down 13-20 on a critical 3rd or 4th down (can't remember which) Romo tried to hit a triple covered TO in the end zone for the tie. Leading up to then they had been methodically moving the ball down the field.. During that replay it clearly showed that Marterllus Bennett lined up on the same side as TO and ran a post route in the middle of the field. He was clearly in Romo's line of sight and had his hand up asking for it. There was nothing but real estate in front of him. The middle was WIDE OPEN! Instead Romo forced it into triple coverage on TO in the end zone.

My reaction: :ralph:
I think that pass was to RW11. Yes, the TE was WIDE open.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Didn't Newman take a shot in the head earlier in the game?

Smith22

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2473355 said:
Didn't Newman take a shot in the head earlier in the game?
Apparently. He was out for a few plays and the announcers mentioned he had blurred vision.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
kramskoi;2472625 said:
I would be surprised if the Giants don't test him early next week.
----------------------------------

I hope the Midgets do test Newman early next week. They'll be sorry. No Plaxico = no need to play zone.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Smith22;2473305 said:
I think that pass was to RW11. Yes, the TE was WIDE open.

You're probably right and I stand corrected. He should have clearly seen Bennett since he was right there in Tony's line of sigh only halfway down the field to where Tony tossed it. Dude had nothing but real estate in front of him. Prime Florida coastal property.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
kramskoi;2472612 said:

I've usually been on Tony's side when it came to the passing game, noting how guys (Crayton especially) can't seem to shake coverage.

But last night, NBC pointed out very clearly at least one play where he had a guy (Bennett) WIDE open , easy pass, nothing much to it, Romo opted for a tougher pass in the endzone... tha'ts not even gunslinger, that's dumb. But he's smarter than that and THAT is what frustrates me. I *KNOW* he's better than that....he needs to show it.

kramskoi

Reaction score
theebs;2473097 said:
I wonder what you thought of Peyton Manning when His team got beat 34-0 in NY at the hands of the jets?

or when he threw multiple interceptions to the same guys on the new england team to cost his team their season.

or in 06 when he was the guy playing poor in the playoffs, but the defense and special teams and running game carried them to the superbowl where manning then made the throws to get his team a win.

Be patient. there is alot of football left.

Romo is going to light up the scoreboard sunday night. I just hope we have enough healthy bodies going forward.
i hear you Theebs, but i have a difficult time believing that Brady or Manning would'nt have won that game yesterday...

What is the standard for this guy?

Eli, Peyton, and McNabb all did enough to beat them, but then again, they are all championship quarterbacks.

He is good for an int per game...in games like yesterday mistakes matter and the team who makes the last one loses.

In chess, it is the difference between the master and the novice...the master will not make the final mistake, the novice will.

The master is patient and calculates well, finding multiple good moves...the novice is impulsive and will take the first good option that presents itself, missing other better moves.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2473191 said:
Late in the game down 13-20 on a critical 3rd or 4th down (can't remember which) Romo tried to hit a triple covered TO in the end zone for the tie.

What game was this?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2474091 said:
But last night, NBC pointed out very clearly at least one play where he had a guy (Bennett) WIDE open , easy pass, nothing much to it, Romo opted for a tougher pass in the endzone... tha'ts not even gunslinger, that's dumb. But he's smarter than that and THAT is what frustrates me. I *KNOW* he's better than that....he needs to show it.

Yes. This was the play I described above you. Sickening..

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474183 said:
What game was this?

I've already been corrected and stood corrected. Did you read the thread? What's your point? It was RW11 he tried to hit in triple coverage vs hitting Bennett who was right there in his line of sight uncovered. Go review.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2474188 said:
I've already been corrected and stood corrected. Did you read the thread? What's your point? It was RW11 he tried to hit in triple coverage vs hitting Bennett who was right there in his line of sight uncovered. Go review.

I wasn't talking about the intended receiver, I was talking about the game situation, which is why I was wondering if you were even talking about yesterday's game.

You said we were "down 13-20 on a critical 3rd or 4th down" and "Romo tried to hit (someone) in the end zone for the tie."

We never got close to the end zone on our only possession when we were down 20-13, and Bennett was never on the field when we were down 20-13.

So excuse me if I was wondering what you were talking about, since the situation you described never existed yesterday.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474240 said:
I wasn't talking about the intended receiver, I was talking about the game situation, which is why I was wondering if you were even talking about yesterday's game.

You said we were "down 13-20 on a critical 3rd or 4th down" and "Romo tried to hit (someone) in the end zone for the tie."

We never got close to the end zone on our only possession when we were down 20-13, and Bennett was never on the field when we were down 20-13.

So excuse me if I was wondering what you were talking about, since the situation you described never existed yesterday.

:rolleyes:

Scuse me if I am not as precise as some on this board. You know exactly what situation and play I was talking about. Feel free to continue with your little agenda though. Child's play.