Rah Rah RAW!!!

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Cheerleading Coach Fired

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) _ August 13, 2004 — University of Florida's cheerleading coach was fired after he gave the squad permission to promote more than school pride at a cheerleading camp.

Click Here for More WPVI.com Bizarre News
Gene Moore, 39, said he was unfairly terminated for allowing squad members to wear T-shirts that listed "10 Reasons to Cheer Naked." He was fired after the University Athletic Association received complaints about the shirts. The firing leaves the squad without a coach three weeks before the first football game.

Moore had been coach for five years, making $19,000 last year.

The squad was attending a college cheerleading camp this week in Myrtle Beach, S.C., when a couple cheerleaders distributed the T-shirts for Spirit Day. Members trade shirts with cheerleaders from other schools.

"Yes, I was aware of it and, yes, it was a mistake," Moore said. "I don't feel like firing me over it after I've put in five years was justified."

Mike Hill, the University Athletic Association assistant athletic director for external affairs, confirmed Moore's termination but declined to elaborate, saying it was a personnel matter.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved