News: Rams' roster-building model is setting a trend

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not super educated on the subject...but you seem to shed some worthwhile light on the pro's and con's...

I am only posting because I follow the Mavericks kinda closely and it seems like across most sports these days high draft picks are being moneyballed for proven plug and play vets. Players you dont have to hold their hand for 4 years until they get broken into the league. It makes sense. Obviously if you are a Michael Jordan type prospect it does not apply...in any sport.

Also...the black coach that was just filed the lawsuit against the NFL...either him or one of the black coaches backing him up was claiming that this practice has been around for a while in all sports. Maybe its not used as much in NFL as it is in the NBA...but I watched an interview with one of these black coaches that was fired and he said this is common. So...I dont see how it is trending now. But anyway...

I dont have the time to study the Rams...how are they signing these vet contracts? To one year deals? Because like you said...the cap will eventually kick you in the grapes. Mavericks got to a point where they had a bunch of old vets no one wanted and at contracts considered negative assets. They were left with no young talent to use in trades because they traded all their picks. So...no young players to use in trades and old guys considered negative assets because of their contracts. Its a risky play.

Again...this is huge in the NBA. I dont see how you could do it as a long term plan unless it was very short contracts. But I am not educated on this stuff.

The NBA has a soft cap and MLB does not have a cap.
- Both commonly trade young prospects for proven vets.
- In both of those sports in-season trades for big name players is much more common that in the NFL.

The Eagles managed to get a Super Bowl win from spending big on veteran players.
- They almost immediately had to rebuild because they had to dump contracts for cap purposes.

It worked for the Rams and Eagles but many teams have tried the 'win now' approach and failed.
- Those teams ended up with cap problems and no Super Bowl wins.

The Patriots with Belichick have never used a 'win now' approach.
- Their approach is to give themselves a chance to win every season.

The biggest reason for failure for Jerry in the post Jimmy era was Jerry's attempts to 'win now'.

Since about 2013, his son Stephen has taken over as the acting GM.
- His approach has been the opposite of Jerry's previous approach.
- Jerry still occasionally forces the issue on some players, but in general Stephen runs the football operations.

The moves they made since 2013 have not always worked; however, they've resembled the moves of a legit NFL GM more than Jerry's previous approach.

Summary: The last thing we want is for Jerry to go back to his 'win now' approach that resulted in moves like trading two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway despite the scouting dept. and coaching staff telling him that it was not worth it.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The Patriots are the ideal, but they are also insane outliers in terms of pairing the best defensive coach of the 21st century with an unkillable QB who put up top 5 numbers even when he was saddled with scrubs.

I will say that Tampa didn't really do a "WIN NOW AT ALL COSTS" thing, they had built a strong roster everywhere over a period of years except for a bust at QB and Brady didn't demand team killing money to play for them. They had some free agent moves for sure but didn't go bananas like the Rams did IMO.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
"You have to know how to go against the trend of the times.

-Eric Rohmer"

-Stephen Jones

Ken

Reaction score

Proof

Reaction score
It worked for them which is the bottom line; however,...
- It does not work for most teams that have tried it.
- It eventually becomes unsustainable due to the cap.
- Draft picks are salary cap management tools. Low cost players while on their rookie contracts.
- Using both draft picks and big cap dollars on a veteran player puts a strain on the cap.

It is the opposite of the Patriots operational model.

In either model, coaching is critical.
- The Rams model requires the coaches to fill in the gaps without premium draft picks.
- The Patriots model requires coaching up the premium picks to allow trading away premium veterans.

this. the rams operate like this because they’ve forced themselves to after years of pushing all their chips onto the table and failing. really bad no choice but to continue doubling down and managed to catch lightning in a bottle this year w/ a third round receiver putting up one of the best seasons we’ve ever seen, and players like obj and von miller falling into their laps to barely push them over the hump after years of going all in.

also i don’t think teams are necessarily trying to replicate their “blueprint” just because we’ve seen an an unprecedented movement of qbs, teams will always try for qbs. the only trade that really feels rams-esque is the raiders deal for devante and it’s likely the dumbest deal of the year.

also whoever was saying how snead is willing to show wisdom in moves like cutting gurley, gurleys knee made him practically impossible to keep and they picked cj anderson up off the street and got starter production from him. cutting gurley was a no brainer and wasn’t especially impressive. we just did the same thing with jaylon w/ out any immediate replacement or incentive. that’s a bit more impressive imo

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The trend has been adding players that have Super Bowl rings. The Bucs added Brady and Gronk. The Rams added Von Miller. Players like that bring championship leadership to your team. The Cowboys added Charles Haley in the 90s who was coming off back to back Super Bowl wins. Adding a player who’s been to the top of the mountain can add a lot to your team. Many of the Cowboys players don’t have much playoff experience.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Well, the Rams have a FO that knows how to evaluate talent and not afraid to pay for it. They move on from mistakes and try to upgrade every position, no matter how much $$$ is sunk into it. They also allow their HC to create the culture. That will never work under bozo Sr and Jr…….

Yep. They are proactive. We are reactive. They knew Goff was a loser. Pawned him off to the Lions. Gurley was a bust on his 2nd contract. Moved on. Remember all those moves so many said were dumb and overpaying for such and such? Worked out for them. Meanwhile, this front office shops at the dollar store. We will sign guys well at the bottom of the free agent pool and talk them up. And we wonder why we never have a legit nucleus at all.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The people who are making this about how poorly the cowboys organization has been run are wrong. And the crazy thing is that they know it. They got this anti cowboy agenda. I mean have these people ever heard of addition by subtraction? Or have even thought about the ramifications of the salary caps realness? If I were a jones I’d be in my yacht with my son wiping my tears with million dollars bills.

:laugh:You're exactly Jerry Jones' kind of sucker. Keeps his coffers full no matter what happens on the field.

0 for 26.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The NBA has a soft cap and MLB does not have a cap.
- Both commonly trade young prospects for proven vets.
- In both of those sports in-season trades for big name players is much more common that in the NFL.

The Eagles managed to get a Super Bowl win from spending big on veteran players.
- They almost immediately had to rebuild because they had to dump contracts for cap purposes.

It worked for the Rams and Eagles but many teams have tried the 'win now' approach and failed.
- Those teams ended up with cap problems and no Super Bowl wins.

The Patriots with Belichick have never used a 'win now' approach.
- Their approach is to give themselves a chance to win every season.

The biggest reason for failure for Jerry in the post Jimmy era was Jerry's attempts to 'win now'.

Since about 2013, his son Stephen has taken over as the acting GM.
- His approach has been the opposite of Jerry's previous approach.
- Jerry still occasionally forces the issue on some players, but in general Stephen runs the football operations.

The moves they made since 2013 have not always worked; however, they've resembled the moves of a legit NFL GM more than Jerry's previous approach.

Summary: The last thing we want is for Jerry to go back to his 'win now' approach that resulted in moves like trading two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway despite the scouting dept. and coaching staff telling him that it was not worth it.

"I'm feeling it! 2 first rounders and a third dag nabbit for that fine young wideout on the East Coast!"

giphy.gif

Vanilla2

Reaction score
:laugh:You're exactly Jerry Jones' kind of sucker. Keeps his coffers full no matter what happens on the field.

0 for 26.

Still waiting on my tracking for the official 2022 draft gear. Can’t wait!

plasticman

Reaction score
Setting a trend? No.

It's been the same technique for a decade. One or two teams do it every season.

1. Build a good team through the draft

2. Sign a high profile quarterback in the back end of their career but still possessing most of their elite skills. (Manning. Brady, Stafford, and now Wilson)

3. Go "all in" for two seasons by signing other high profile players by a combination of trading away future high draft picks and investing back loaded cap dollars.

4. Possibly win a Super Bowl

5. Enter a 3-5 year purgatory with very few top draft picks and a quarter of your cap space in dead money.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not a new rend, uts been used for years. George Allen was famous for this back in the day with Washington, and won a SB. He then moved to LA and couldn't make it work there. The Eagles tried it a few years ago, with TO, and the team they called the all stars. That didn't work, and the were forced to cut salaries and get rid of McNabb.