Rams won 8 of 11 when allowing 100+ yds rushing

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit. The Rams have won 8 of 11 games when allowing a rusher to gain 100+ yds . I have not checked the game stats per drive to see if they have given up big chunk plays or if they have faced a grinder like Dallas and Zeke. It is one thing to give up 100 yds in a few chunk plays and another to a RB that keeps hammering away for 3-5 yds to keep the chains moving.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...pping-rb-ezekiel-elliott-matter-wade-phillips

Second, out of the 16 regular season games this year, the Rams have allowed 100+ yards rushing 11/16 times. They’ve allowed 140+ yards rushing 5/16 times. They’ve allowed 190+ yards rushing 3/16 times. Of the games the Rams have allowed 100+ rushing yards, they’ve won 8/11 times. In their two contests versus the Seattle Seahawks, the Rams allowed 273 and 190 yards rushing. They escaped both of those games with a win, sweeping their rival.

My point being is the Rams aren’t good at stuffing the run, and everyone who’s played them this season is well aware. The Cowboys identity on offense is to establish the run, stay ahead of the chains, and then use the short-intermediate passing game which includes a ton of slants and timing routes.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Wow, they let the Seahawks gain that much on the ground both times? Unless they had a severely off night, that seems like a ton for that anemic rushing attack.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The strength of this team is the run, and without looking up the stats, I know the Cowboys win a lot more when Zeke runs for a 100+.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I rewatched some of their second game against Seattle. Carson was out, but Penney ran for 100, Wilson had 92 and Davis had like 50. They did break off a number of chunk runs and a lot of Wilson’s came in the second half.

Seattle fell behind by a small margin and tried an onside kick (failed) and had a turnover inside their own 20 that did them in.

Bottom line is most of these stats will work in the Rams’ favor. They’ve won 13 of 16, so we won’t find any metrics that show them to be 2-6 in a certain situation haha.

basilhayden

Reaction score
Lambs outrushed 446-226 in their 3 losses. Little Gurley man doesn't do well against good defense...
All losses they were outrushed by 50 yards at least by the winner.
Little Gurley man can't run to get first downs.
He sucks unless passing game is really clicking.
I wouldn't even focus on stopping the run game of the Rams. LVE and Jaylon will pimp slap him to less than 100. Focus resources on Goff
Zeke creates his own space, Gurley can't....

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I rewatched some of their second game against Seattle. Carson was out, but Penney ran for 100, Wilson had 92 and Davis had like 50. They did break off a number of chunk runs and a lot of Wilson’s came in the second half.

Seattle fell behind by a small margin and tried an onside kick (failed) and had a turnover inside their own 20 that did them in.

Bottom line is most of these stats will work in the Rams’ favor. They’ve won 13 of 16, so we won’t find any metrics that show them to be 2-6 in a certain situation haha.

Very true. When a team finishes 13-3 there is not going to be a lot of stats to support a loss.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rams would love a track meet. Fast possessions. Rapid pace. Lots of scoring favors them. We have to play them like they are a basketball team that wants to run the break all the time. We need to slow the game down. Force them into a lot third long down- like 3rd and 9 instead of 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 1.

If this turns into a game like we had in NY, we are in trouble. We need to Keep them in the 20s point total to win. They average almost 33 points a game and they’re 7-1 at home this year so we better not get into a shootout.