Random Combine chatter....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper runs a 5.13

Good time for a G but Armstead has made everyone look like they're carrying an anchor.

newlander

Reaction score
and his opinion on these kids? He just said Fluker will be a STARTING right tackle form day ONE in the NFL and will be taken 20-32. I dunno....he's a beast and all but does he have the athletecism to pull that off? Mayock is a heckuva lot more qualified than me to answer that but I'm not so sure. Seems like a huge, mauling guard to me. (like SF uses)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;5006899 said:
and his opinion on these kids? He just said Fluker will be a STARTING right tackle form day ONE in the NFL and will be taken 20-32. I dunno....he's a beast and all but does he have the athletecism to pull that off? Mayock is a heckuva lot more qualified than me to answer that but I'm not so sure. Seems like a huge, mauling guard to me. (like SF uses)

I don't need Mike Mayock to tell me Fluker is a natural RT in the NFL.

newlander

Reaction score
Risen Star;5006904 said:
I don't need Mike Mayock to tell me Fluker is a natural RT in the NFL.

.....of any human I've ever seen I'd argue with you, due to his lack of athletecism and plodding nature. He doesn't have real good footwork for that position, especially against the speed rushers. But my gosh, those arms....he gets them on you and it's obviously OVER.

......would you take him at 18 RS? (Mayock said he'll go 20-32) or do you think that would be a reach?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;5006912 said:
.....of any human I've ever seen I'd argue with you, due to his lack of athletecism and plodding nature. He doesn't have real good footwork for that position, especially against the speed rushers. But my gosh, those arms....he gets them on you and it's obviously OVER.

......would you take him at 18 RS? (Mayock said he'll go 20-32) or do you think that would be a reach?

The RT in the NFL doesn't typically have great athleticism. He's been the roadgrader that leads your power running game.

I wanted to see him lose some weight before the combine to show his commitment. He's done that.

I would have no issue with the Cowboys taking him at 18. That would be a real nice tandem of OTs for the future.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;5006912 said:

Actually, Mayock called him top 20. I tend to agree with him. Right around the 18-22 area. He won't go any higher because he's RT only. The three guys ahead of him can all play the left side.

newlander

Reaction score
Risen Star;5006916 said:
The RT in the NFL doesn't typically have great athleticism. He's been the roadgrader that leads your power running game.

I wanted to see him lose some weight before the combine to show his commitment. He's done that.

I would have no issue with the Cowboys taking him at 18. That would be a real nice tandem of OTs for the future.

....Mayock just backed up what you said 100% during his on field agility drill....and I must say Fluker's side to side agility wasn't bad just now: his backpedal needs work but although Mayock said he had "below avg" feet his ability to maul and engage with those arms makes it a non-issue. Plus....and correct me if I'm wrong: there is NO reason in the world he shouldn't be an option at either guard spot as well. His ability to play more than one position on the OL makes him a top 20 pick IMO

......BTW: they just showed Eric Fisher in the Senior Bowl: holy crapola did he DOMINATE. Mayock has him going to Zona at #7...and I can't really argue. Says he's a mirror image of Joeckel.

.....Speaking of Left Tackles, I'd also like to say what a colossal mistake Taylor Lewan (U of MI) made in not coming out. He was MORE than ready to go top 10 with Jockel and Fisher and has nothing to gain by staying. He didn't play poorly against S.Carolina in the bowl game.....supposedly he made a mistake on the Clowney play at the end that almost killed the running back but that was mental, not physical. I guess he didn't watch footage of Larrimore this season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
newlander;5006921 said:
....Mayock just backed up what you said 100% during his on field agility drill....and I must say Fluker's side to side agility wasn't bad just now: his backpedal needs work but although Mayock said he had "below avg" feet his ability to maul and engage with those arms makes it a non-issue. Plus....and correct me if I'm wrong: there is NO reason in the world he shouldn't be an option at either guard spot as well. His ability to play more than one position on the OL makes him a top 20 pick IMO

I suppose he can play inside but a guy with his frame is tailor made for T, where you can use his wingspan advantage most effectively.

I think he'd be an unpopular pick for the Cowboys at 18. I just wouldn't be one of those complaining about it. I would be afraid they wouldn't back that up with some help along the interior OL as well. I'd rather start Parnell at RT next year than Costa at C.

newlander

Reaction score
Risen Star;5006924 said:
I suppose he can play inside but a guy with his frame is tailor made for T, where you can use his wingspan advantage most effectively.

I think he'd be an unpopular pick for the Cowboys at 18. I just wouldn't be one of those complaining about it. I would be afraid they wouldn't back that up with some help along the interior OL as well. I'd rather start Parnell at RT next year than Costa at C.

......between Costa's lack of effectiveness 2 yrs. ago and injury problems last season it's just time to make him a backup, which is exactly what he is: a depth guy. (nothing wrong with that btw...just the way it is.

So in summary, we were talking about Fluker at the combine, but you'd rather upgrade the interior and live with Parnell. Which leads to the obvious question: who you looking at for Center in this draft or is there a FA option? (which would allow us to go with a MUCH needed DT at 18)

Boys122

Reaction score
I'm still on the Jonathan Cooper bandwagon. He's done well so far in drills and he can play both center or guard.

If we go OL I hope it's Cooper or Warmack.