CFZ Random observations from today

fivetwos

Reaction score
My concern is can Dak play like this against the good teams you are going to be playing in the playoffs and most likely on the road?
I refuse to believe that Dak is incapable of playing a great game against a good team.

The margins of success and failure with him are thin.

That’s why I mentioned the Rivera decisions earlier on….when we can get a lead…vs when teams don’t allow us to do that, it’s night and day, and he didn’t seem to be aware of that. Almost as if he was playing 90s field position football instead of setting a tone.

Doesn’t matter, they were way over matched across the board.

Still, the game was far from over if they punted down 13, but not converting with that field position lost it then and there.

Disclaimer….this is NOT intended to become a Dak thread, just a discussion on what we saw today.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that Dak is incapable of playing a great game against a good team.

The margins of success and failure with him are thin.

That’s why I mentioned the Rivera decisions earlier on….when we are allowed to get a lead…vs when teams don’t allow us to do that, it’s night and day, and he didn’t seem to be aware of that. Almost as if he was playing 90s field position football instead of setting a tone.

Doesn’t matter, they were way over matched across the board.

Still, the game was far from over if they punted down 13, but not converting with that field position lost it then and there.

Disclaimer….this is NOT intended to become a Dak thread, just a discussion on what we saw today.
Hope you are right about Dak.
So far we have not seen it.
I would love too, however.

conner01

Reaction score
-Rivera made three tempo-changing 4th down calls. Should have gone for 4th and short twice early on and been aggressive. He gave us time to get into our rhythm. Then he finally went for it down 13 in the second half when a punt seemed like the better move.

-PFT or whoever and several of you can say what you like, but #97 has stepped up big time this season and is a solid DT. Huge part of this defense at this point.

-Sam Howell reminds me of Ryan Fitzgerald. More elusive than youd think, decent ability…just not a star, or who any team would aspire to have as a starter. I wouldnt bet against him having a similar career as a solid backup.

-It’s probably gonna take a few dollars to retain Armstrong, and we probably can’t afford to do so. I whiffed on that one for sure two years ago.

-Dak made some pretty throws today…and also missed several wide open guys. At this point, it’s a matter of which Dak shows up come playoff time on that day. This team can beat anyone, and also lose to anyone. It’s not 100% on him, but if you miss the throws he did today against a playoff team, it likely doesn’t end well.

-I honestly don’t understand some of you around here. During the ONE Wash TD drive, there’s posts in the game thread like “this defense is total garbage…” etc. It’s not as if y’all used to winning. Maybe try to get a hold of yourselves. What do you seriously expect, a shutout every game?

-I’ve heard no Bell update but let’s hope.
Armstrong is signed another year then he’s gone. Hopefully we have another guy waiting to take his spot. But you can’t have Micah, Diggs, bland making huge money and pay “ Good” players like Armstrong. You have to keep the elite and churn the good or less guys

rambo2

Reaction score
You made a lot of great points but this statement right here perfectly sums up this team, and why it's so hard to look at us as a true contender. Even when we dominate teams, i still worry if it'll be the same team the next week
They are clearly a contender.

CWR

Reaction score
-Rivera made three tempo-changing 4th down calls. Should have gone for 4th and short twice early on and been aggressive. He gave us time to get into our rhythm. Then he finally went for it down 13 in the second half when a punt seemed like the better move.

-PFT or whoever and several of you can say what you like, but #97 has stepped up big time this season and is a solid DT. Huge part of this defense at this point.

-Sam Howell reminds me of Ryan Fitzgerald. More elusive than youd think, decent ability…just not a star, or who any team would aspire to have as a starter. I wouldnt bet against him having a similar career as a solid backup.

-It’s probably gonna take a few dollars to retain Armstrong, and we probably can’t afford to do so. I whiffed on that one for sure two years ago.

-Dak made some pretty throws today…and also missed several wide open guys. At this point, it’s a matter of which Dak shows up come playoff time on that day. This team can beat anyone, and also lose to anyone. It’s not 100% on him, but if you miss the throws he did today against a playoff team, it likely doesn’t end well.

-I honestly don’t understand some of you around here. During the ONE Wash TD drive, there’s posts in the game thread like “this defense is total garbage…” etc. It’s not as if y’all used to winning. Maybe try to get a hold of yourselves. What do you seriously expect, a shutout every game?

-I’ve heard no Bell update but let’s hope.

I thought Rivera was gutless early on as well.

Howell might have something. It's real early for him so I wouldn't limit his upside yet, although I like the comparison you made.

Dorance is such a solid freaking player. I've really enjoyed having him on the team. He'll be missed when he signs a fat contract elsewhere.

Agreed on Dak he was good, but we missed on a few, although some of that was our pass catchers as well.

It blows me away this team can play a bit sloppy for stretches and still beat a bad team by 30. I can't believe it hasn't translated when we've needed it to.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This fanbase is whacked but then again there are many in here posing as Cowboy fans but actually are Eagle and other fans from other teams. Don’t let them fool you it’s easy to see who they are by their comments every game.
This is simply a false statement.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Armstrong is signed another year then he’s gone. Hopefully we have another guy waiting to take his spot. But you can’t have Micah, Diggs, bland making huge money and pay “ Good” players like Armstrong. You have to keep the elite and churn the good or less guys
Think he signed 2/12 before last season but I may be missing a team option.

I recall slamming it for overpaying. I bash them enough for the mistakes so it’s only fair I give credit when due. Armstrong is one of them.

But he is gonna be tough to retain. That pass rush rotation is strong right now.

Reaction score
That's my biggest disappointment thus far, supposedly this team was going to produce a solid power running game this year so that the offense wasn't wholly dependent on Dak and the passing game. Major fail for MM and Schotty,,,

Mark

Reaction score
When an opponent scores 10 points in this day and age, that’s pretty much a shutout.
Today was classic "bend, but don't break" defense. Gets a fan nervous at times, but you can't argue with the result.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
You made a lot of great points but this statement right here perfectly sums up this team, and why it's so hard to look at us as a true contender. Even when we dominate teams, i still worry if it'll be the same team the next week
The two things that typically haunt us come playoff time:

1) Self-imposed mistakes that the opponent had no bearing on creating (lining up offiside, for example)

2) Dak encountering a defensive look that completely stifles him

This year’s team has shown this season that it still has those issues in its DNA. Hopefully we can get past them this time around in the playoffs.