Random thoughts on our selection of Jones

Verdict

Reaction score
I will start off saying that I don't have a strong feeling about this pick one way or the other, and believe that the Cowboys deserve for the fan base have some confidence in the selection based on their recent success in the draft. With that being said, here area few thoughts that are running through my mind:

The positives:

1. Jones is very athletic.
2. Team captain and good character/work ethic.
3. Good insight/intel based on the Pasqualoni connecton
4. Position flex.
5. The position fills a position of need
6. The pick enables us to save some salary cap at some point by making Carr expendable going forward/fills a high cap level position.

The negatives:

1. The fact that defensive back is the thinnest position, one of the most glaring needs, and the fact that we need cap relief there with Carr, is a strong indicator that this pick might be very "need driven". Hopefully he truly was the BPA at the time of the pick and it was not a forced pick.

2. It doesn't address the defensive line, which many feel is the biggest priority of this off season.

3. It doesn't seem like the Cowboys have a definite plan on where to use him (cb or safety).

4. There may have been higher rated players on their board at the time of the pick on the DL.

I am sure there are many more factors, both positive and negative. Feel free to discuss outside of the factors listed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will start off saying that I don't have a strong feeling about this pick one way or the other, and believe that the Cowboys deserve for the fan base have some confidence in the selection based on their recent success in the draft. With that being said, here area few thoughts that are running through my mind:

The positives:

1. Jones is very athletic.
2. Team captain and good character/work ethic.
3. Good insight/intel based on the Pasqualoni connecton
4. Position flex.
5. The position fills a position of need
6. The pick enables us to save some salary cap at some point by making Carr expendable going forward/fills a high cap level position.

The negatives:

1. The fact that defensive back is the thinnest position, one of the most glaring needs, and the fact that we need cap relief there with Carr, is a strong indicator that this pick might be very "need driven". Hopefully he truly was the BPA at the time of the pick and it was not a forced pick.

2. It doesn't address the defensive line, which many feel is the biggest priority of this off season.

3. It doesn't seem like the Cowboys have a definite plan on where to use him (cb or safety).

4. There may have been higher rated players on their board at the time of the pick on the DL.

I am sure there are many more factors, both positive and negative. Feel free to discuss outside of the factors listed.

Malcom Brown was really the only other choice, IMO. There were not any DEs that were higher rated unless you're considering Gregory.

Regardless of need the BPA at 27 was either Jones or Brown. I had these guys as 2nd rounders:
Laken Tomlinson
Phillip Dorsett
Damarious Randall
Stephone Anthony

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Malcom Brown was really the only other choice, IMO. There were not any DEs that were higher rated unless you're considering Gregory.

Regardless of need the BPA at 27 was either Jones or Brown. I had these guys as 2nd rounders:
Laken Tomlinson
Phillip Dorsett
Damarious Randall
Stephone Anthony

What about Og the tackle Cincy took. I know he was a 1st rounder before injury, but did you think he was going 1st round?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about Og the tackle Cincy took. I know he was a 1st rounder before injury, but did you think he was going 1st round?

I thought he was a borderline 1st rounder if healthy. He plays soft which I really don't like in OLinemen regardless of how talented they are. With the injury, he was a 3rd rounder at best, IMO.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I thought he was a borderline 1st rounder if healthy. He plays soft which I really don't like in OLinemen regardless of how talented they are. With the injury, he was a 3rd rounder at best, IMO.

That pick shocked me, same with Anthony to NO.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Laken Tomlinson
Phillip Dorsett
Damarious Randall
Stephone Anthony

I agree, from a value standpoint it had to be those two. Look at the big boards....both players were very high on most of the boards and were expected to be gone well before the Dallas pick. THe excitement in the War Room certainly seemed genuine...this was their guy, whether we like it or not.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Byron and Malcom both had very similar grades from the Cowboys, and they feel that there's more youth and potential along the DL than the secondary, hence why they picked Byron.