Random thoughts on the game...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
- Our OL was horrible. They got ZERO push in the running game, and they got their butts kicked in the passing game. And not just Torrin Tucker. Flozell gave up a sack, Rivera gave up a sack, Gurode had a couple of penalties. The only guy I think that didn't do something negative was Larry Allen, but I may have just missed something with him.

- Pass rush still sucks. Yes, I saw a little bit of improvement. If you want to compare it to last year, fine you can say they looked ok. But I want to compare them to great pass rushing teams, and in doing that, they looked bad. Ware looked ok a couple of times, but after he beats his man to the outside he needs to cut down his angle. If he doesn't, he'll be another Ebenezer Ekuban. It's not enough to beat your man to the outside, you have to cut down the angle and hit the QB or else he'll just step up and you run right by.

- Tackling was subpar. Maybe Parcells needs to let these guys tackle eachother once or twice a week?

- Romo and Henson both looked solid despite not having very much time to throw. Forget Henson's stats (not even sure what they were), he had a solid game. If he'd had a little bit of time to throw he may have done something.

- Tyson Thompson looked good, but if there's one thing I know a lot about it's RBs, and he needs to be more patient running the football. He won't be able to just run outside for 10+ yard gains against 1st team defenses. He needs to be patient and set up the block of that pulling guard (that he just kept out running every play). I think he makes the team though. We need explosive players like that on the team. He did miss the block at the end where Henson got hit as he threw. He needs to get the mental part of his game down.

- Stephen Peterman should be forced to walk back to Oxnard. Cundiff makes the game winning FG but Peterman gets called for a false start. I don't care if it's only a preseason game. If he can't keep his head in the game in the preseason, then he can't do it in the regular season. Stupid stupid stupid stupid penalty.

- If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to hit the QB in the face after he throws the ball. Someone needs to let teh Arizona DL and the officials know about this rule.

- Overall I'm disappointed, even if it is only a preseason game. Even if it is only the FIRST preseason game, I'm still disappointed. Don't preach to me "It's just the first preseason game, they'll turn it around before the regular season starts" BS. They looked crappy in last year's first preseason game too, and they didn't turn a dang thing around. At least they didn't look flat out there (not completely). But they did get beat up by the Arizona OL and DL (mainly their DL). Does our OL ever hit the sled? Cuz on running plays I saw our OL getting driven backwards. That's NOT suppose to happen.

bags

Reaction score
As far as the pass rush goes: is it safe to say we didnt send much of a rush. I didnt get to watch the game, but on the online radio troy and the other guy (sorry other guy) kept saying it's common practice not to send much of a rush in the preseason, and were surprised by how much the cardinals sent at us.

Can anyone comment on how much of a rush we sent?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
We didn't "Send" much of a rush? So on third and long when we had our nickel DL in the game, the coach decided not to "Send" them? :rolleyes:

I'm not referring to how we did out of the 3-4 cuz obviously we played it extremely vanilla defensively in that area, but there's no reason our Nickel Dl couldn't pressure the QB.

But out of our 3-4 sets we were very vanilla. That's the way it is in the preason, especially playing a team we'll face again in the regular season.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
We ran a very vanilla offense and defense. We played a lot of zone from what I saw, especially on first team. I don't think Parcells likes to show his hand too much this early in the (pre)season. Good summary Rack, especially with Romo and Henson.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Dont think we sent much of a rush cuz we dont wanna give up too much of our schemes. Also, we gotta realize, alot of new faces, this is the 1st game we played. New defensive scheme, and honestly, everyone knows thats gonna take a bit more than just mini and training camp to get gelling. Good observations though Rack, lets just hope we look ALOT better 9/11

bags

Reaction score
Rack said:
We didn't "Send" much of a rush? So on third and long when we had our nickel DL in the game, the coach decided not to "Send" them? :rolleyes:

Point taken. Be gentle ;)

Z-Man

Reaction score
Rack said:
- Tyson Thompson looked good, but if there's one thing I know a lot about it's RBs, and he needs to be more patient running the football. He won't be able to just run outside for 10+ yard gains against 1st team defenses. He needs to be patient and set up the block of that pulling guard (that he just kept out running every play). I think he makes the team though. We need explosive players like that on the team. He did miss the block at the end where Henson got hit as he threw. He needs to get the mental part of his game down.

I agree with the OL and pass rush observations, they sucked.

But Thompson is young and was undrafted. He didn't play alot in college either and came out a year early. In other words, he's going to learn to set up his blocks and have patience etc. But he's showing something you can't teach and that's speed and running ability. Don't worry the kid's gonna be fine, he wasn't going to play alot this year anyway.

Z-Man

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Dont think we sent much of a rush cuz we dont wanna give up too much of our schemes. Also, we gotta realize, alot of new faces, this is the 1st game we played. New defensive scheme, and honestly, everyone knows thats gonna take a bit more than just mini and training camp to get gelling. Good observations though Rack, lets just hope we look ALOT better 9/11

Schemes didn't matter much to Arizona and it was their first game too :)
They got pressure and sacks. Hey you have to judge us against the other team here evenly.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
In terms of pass rush...you guys are right...we were very vanilla tonight. Sometime it's hard to tell if we are blitzing with the 3-4...so many guys on the line, but fir the most part I don't think we showed to much.

Overall I think the defense was ok...I hated the couple series Warner had his way throwing....I think in regular season game we would have had far more blitz and man coverage to stop that...I hope!

Z-Man

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
In terms of pass rush...you guys are right...we were very vanilla tonight. Sometime it's hard to tell if we are blitzing with the 3-4...so many guys on the line, but fir the most part I don't think we showed to much.

Overall I think the defense was ok...I hated the couple series Warner had his way throwing....I think in regular season game we would have had far more blitz and man coverage to stop that...I hope!

I know the announcers said a couple of times we blitzed a safety and linebacker, and that was the only time I saw pressure. It was also with the first team.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Z-Man said:
I agree with the OL and pass rush observations, they sucked.

But Thompson is young and was undrafted. He didn't play alot in college either and came out a year early. In other words, he's going to learn to set up his blocks and have patience etc. But he's showing something you can't teach and that's speed and running ability. Don't worry the kid's gonna be fine, he wasn't going to play alot this year anyway.

And you know this how? Most "Speedy" backs never can learn to be patient. I'm not saying Thompson won't, but I'm not saying "He will learn to set up his blocks" either. You nor I know what he'll learn. If he doesn't "learn" blitz protection he likely won't make the team.

Even if he doesn't learn to be patient he has something to offer as a changeup back and return man. I'm just saying if he is to become a complete RB, he needs to learn patience.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rack said:
- Our OL was horrible. They got ZERO push in the running game, and they got their butts kicked in the passing game. And not just Torrin Tucker. Flozell gave up a sack, Rivera gave up a sack, Gurode had a couple of penalties. The only guy I think that didn't do something negative was Larry Allen, but I may have just missed something with him.

- Pass rush still sucks. Yes, I saw a little bit of improvement. If you want to compare it to last year, fine you can say they looked ok. But I want to compare them to great pass rushing teams, and in doing that, they looked bad. Ware looked ok a couple of times, but after he beats his man to the outside he needs to cut down his angle. If he doesn't, he'll be another Ebenezer Ekuban. It's not enough to beat your man to the outside, you have to cut down the angle and hit the QB or else he'll just step up and you run right by.

- Tackling was subpar. Maybe Parcells needs to let these guys tackle eachother once or twice a week?

- Romo and Henson both looked solid despite not having very much time to throw. Forget Henson's stats (not even sure what they were), he had a solid game. If he'd had a little bit of time to throw he may have done something.

- Stephen Peterman should be forced to walk back to Oxnard. Cundiff makes the game winning FG but Peterman gets called for a false start. I don't care if it's only a preseason game. If he can't keep his head in the game in the preseason, then he can't do it in the regular season. Stupid stupid stupid stupid penalty.

- If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to hit the QB in the face after he throws the ball. Someone needs to let teh Arizona DL and the officials know about this rule.

- Overall I'm disappointed, even if it is only a preseason game. Even if it is only the FIRST preseason game, I'm still disappointed. Don't preach to me "It's just the first preseason game, they'll turn it around before the regular season starts" BS. They looked crappy in last year's first preseason game too, and they didn't turn a dang thing around. At least they didn't look flat out there (not completely). But they did get beat up by the Arizona OL and DL (mainly their DL). Does our OL ever hit the sled? Cuz on running plays I saw our OL getting driven backwards. That's NOT suppose to happen.

I agree with almost everything you said here.

I thought Thompson looked great outside, but he needs to learn to run between the tackles if he is going to make it. Of course, with the way the OL blocked, how can we really evaluate that?

I thought Peterman looked lousy last preseason. I think he looked lousy again. Right now, I don't want him starting at guard and LA at RT. Sign a Scott Gragg or a Marcus Spears. Maybe they can stay on the field unlike Rogers or actually hit somebody unlike Tucker.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
And another thing.........Bledsoe was dancing way to much in the pocket...he did not look comfortable at all...that I don't like!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I agree. To steal a line from Parcells, "If the first game were today and I had to name a starter, I'd name ..." Tony Romo as my starter, Henson as teh backup, and Bledsoe would be holding the clipboard.

ndanger

Reaction score
This may be the first time in 40 years of watching football that I have ever seen third down and fifty.We were on the 15 yard line for goodness sake.If that happens in the regular season I will have to double up on my meds for sure.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bags said:
As far as the pass rush goes: is it safe to say we didnt send much of a rush. I didnt get to watch the game, but on the online radio troy and the other guy (sorry other guy) kept saying it's common practice not to send much of a rush in the preseason, and were surprised by how much the cardinals sent at us.

Can anyone comment on how much of a rush we sent?

we didnt touch the qb's even when we rushed 5 or 6 guys...it was the same crap as the past 5 or 6 yrs...

Warner did alot of quick throws to avoid some of the rush, but even when he and their other qb's took normal drops we got nowhere near them

David

bags

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
we didnt touch the qb's even when we rushed 5 or 6 guys...it was the same crap as the past 5 or 6 yrs...

Warner did alot of quick throws to avoid some of the rush, but even when he and their other qb's took normal drops we got nowhere near them

David

bleh...that's definately not what i wanted to hear.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

What concerns me is that our pass rushers still don't appear to be "relentless" in their pass rush. Now that has nothing to do with vanilla or whatever. If you're rushing the passer, and you're relentless, you can tell. I haven't seen a relentless pass rusher in Dallas since Charles Haley. Glover is a good pass rusher, but not even he is relentless. I want a guy out there that refuses to be blocked. That will not be blocked. Pretty much how the Cards DL looked... that's how I want our pass rush to look.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rack said:
- Stephen Peterman should be forced to walk back to Oxnard. Cundiff makes the game winning FG but Peterman gets called for a false start.

This is about the 4th time I've read about this "game winning FG"... 'scuse me, but I thought the score was 13-9 at the time of that attempt... in fact, I was wondering why in God's name Parcells was even attempting the FG at that point... of course, that doesn't negate your point about Peterman's bone-headed play, but the safety on the blocked punt came AFTER that FG attempt...

Sinister

Reaction score
Rack said:
What concerns me is that our pass rushers still don't appear to be "relentless" in their pass rush. Now that has nothing to do with vanilla or whatever. If you're rushing the passer, and you're relentless, you can tell. I haven't seen a relentless pass rusher in Dallas since Charles Haley. Glover is a good pass rusher, but not even he is relentless. I want a guy out there that refuses to be blocked. That will not be blocked. Pretty much how the Cards DL looked... that's how I want our pass rush to look.

I think the reason the pass rush wasn't "relelntless" is because it looks like the linebackers are trying to think their way through the game, instead of reacting naturally to what's going on. The fact is that this is a new defense, they don't want to make mistakes and they're a bunch of rookies. Also they don't want Parcells in they're face.

It looked like several times that Ware was hesitating during the game. It's going to take time probably well into the season to see a "relentless" pass rush.