Twitter: Randy Gregory: I Will Play this Year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he is no good then it will not matter if he is back. Of course we hope for it because he will wear the Star but I personally think he has missed too much time.
He played well in 2018 after missing more time

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mean, I'll take all the sacks I can get. Quinn's 10.5 sacks and Michael Bennett's 4 sacks (in only 9 games) and Maliek Collins' 4 sacks are out the door. Lawrence ought to bounce back and give us quite a bit better than the meager 5 sacks we paid him for last year, so that helps make up for some of it.

I think some people are hung up on comparing Gregory to the hype from when he was in college, as if he's useless to us if he can't fulfill his double-digit sack potential. But I say screw that. I'll take all the sacks he can give me. I know, he's only got 7 sacks in 30 career games (including playoffs). So the ship has probably sailed on him having the potential to be a 12-15 sack type of guy.

That said, the last time he played, he gave us 6 sacks in 14 games, playing only 45% of the snaps. Bump his snap count up to more in line with the 60-ish percent Quinn and Lawrence each gave us last year, and I could see him giving us a solid 8 sacks. It's not a sexy double-digit number, but I'm not gonna shoo him away just because he isn't living up to the hype from when he was in college. If Gregory gives us 8 sacks and Lawrence bounces back and gives us, say, 10 sacks, that would stop the bleeding a little bit.

And it's worth mentioning that 6-sack season he had came after a season where he basically didn't play. So there's a precedent for him having a productive season after a lost season.
It was actually closer to two season. He played 1 game at the end of 2016, and missed all of 2017

Rayman70

Reaction score
He will need to have a full camp, prove himself to the new staff. Nothing is a given anymore. I welcome him as long as he does what he should be doing.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If we get a healthy motivated Gregory, that is an upgrade over Quinn.....big "if" though.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
You still have to operate this offseason as though Gregory does not exist. If he's healthy and on the active roster week 1, its a bonus.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And due to the ratified CBA feels like he’ll be here for good, via Calvin Watkins

Ok. But I am hearing the new rules may not apply retro. He may still be suspended for a failed test. Which to me is unfair. The new rules should apply to all.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully, Randy will get himself into football shape and report ready, willing and able to play impressively. He should thank the football gods for allowing him the blessing to compete in the coming year. With the pressures upon pot smokers being reduced, perhaps he'll thrive once again. At least, we should hope so. Its the dawn of a new beginning for him. Here's to each of us pulling for Randy to make the most of it. Sic 'em, Randy! ;)

Last edited:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I know the NFL is doing this unwillingly, so I wonder if the NFL will just go after these guys hard if they are ever busted for pot by the police under the personal conduct rules.

DRella

Reaction score
No it wouldnt.

If we get Gregory back I think it would lessen the need for a DE in the draft. They still haven't released Crawford and we still have Armstrong as well. Lets not forget Lawrence.

If Irving can come back along with McCoy in the middle and Woods. That is a not so bad line. We still have a wildcard in Hill as well.

It definitely is not a priority in draft. CB, S and LB still remain priorities. Unless of course they bring in some other free agents to off set the needs.

My hope is they fill the needs through FA and are able to draft best player available with all their picks.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If he plays you build the roster like he’s a situation pass rusher at best. Counting on him to be a starting DE would be nuts.
I hear your point in terms of reliability. But for a smaller DE Gregory plays the run really well. If he doesn't get in trouble with the law, he should be a stable force going forward. His character has never been "poor" as with the Ro, Hardy types.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’ll say this. The last time he came back from a long suspension, phyically it didn’t take long for him to get there. I think he could be a major factor depending on if and when he gets reinstated.

True but that was a lotta weed ago (lol)....just saying it may take a little time

giphy.webp

MyFairLady

Reaction score
LOL I can only hope that the new head coach has a good long laugh at this then moves on the actual football related items. If only our worthless Owner would.