Randy Moss

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
How do you know he doesn't do these things? The funny thing is if the Vikings won the Superbowl, the media would try to portray Moss as a leader off the field like they were doing in the beginning of the season when the Vikings were undefeated. It was hilarious to see them portraying Moss as a child who grew up and was now taking an active role in their leadership. It's amazing how much power the media has in shaping in public opinion. If they want, the media can make Moss the next Emmitt Smith or the next Dennis Rodman depending on how they portray him. Traditionally, the media likes to portray players on championship teams as heros while making great players on losing teams malcontents. Like someone else said, Ty Law is the biggest smack talker in the NFL but because he plays for the Patriots, his trash talking is severaly overlooked.

His demeanor on the field just doesn't give me a good vibe. I'm not talking about smack-talking, I'm just talking about having his head in the game and doing the little things necessary to maximize the potential success of every play. It might be a baseless claim on my part, but I think Moss could have a much greater impact on Minnesota than he already has if he wanted to.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Charles...Did you read my post?
Moss is a loser because he isn't a team player...Team players do WHATEVER it takes to WIN!
Like catch everything thrown in his vicinity.
Like demand double coverage free up his teammates like Irvin did his entire career.
Like stay practice and and train very hard during the off-season and only missing 3 games in a 5 season career.
They block, they run decoys routes, they will their teammates to win & become better, they refuse to lose...Moss knew they were losing & quit...Quiters also don't win...

Thats why so-called VERY talented teams always Lose when they need to win the most...(Minny)

Moss was smart enough to know that with only 2 secs and kicking the ball away the game was over. If there was more time then you would have a case. The Commanders get paid too.

Who cares about stats? The only one that matters is who wins the Super Bowl and last I checked, that was always won by the best TEAM!

Please NEVER compair Irvin with moss...
Irvin is a Champion, moss a loser.

Also he wasn't double teamed, it was a zone where the CB went to the short zone...
The Commander had been rolling there safeties over Moss the entire game. Sean Taylor was there to challenge every deep ball. Infact he made a great play on another deep ball after Moss toasted the CB. The DB was covering Moss and looked back at Dante when he started rolling to the right.

Even if it was zone that doesn't mean it wasn't double coverage. Who says you can't double a player in a zone defense. :confused:

Reaction score
Moss actually HURTS the Vikes, because he takes up so much cap space on a player that will ONLY put fans in the seats...(Like Barry Sanders)
He is a TEASE...Some people get it, others don't...

Chemistry is so vital in any team sport and he is BAD Chemistry!
Culpepper should have slapped some sense into him a LONG time ago!

Again, he doesn't do and WON'T do the things that wins games...
Moss should have been there cherring on his teammates to get that onside kick if he wasn't on that unit...

No he QUIT as he has often done in the games that matter MOST!

Go over the middle and make that tough catch when his team needs a first down?...WRONG guy!

And he also DROPS alot of passes when they matter most!

Sure they had a safety help deep...I won't argue the fact he can be a exciting player who can be great at going up after the ball, but being a championship winning football player is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more!

Nightshade

Reaction score
All this garbage about Moss not being a team player and not blocking down field and not being a leader is getting old. I've been hearing all day that he walked out on the team in the middle of the game and now I find out there was only 2 seconds left. 2 seconds. Give me a break, I mean He shouldn't have done it, but it was another example of Minny's big moronic persona.

Moss has improved tremendously in his blocking and in his leadership ability and whenever you see the guy on the field and on the sidelines he's obviously a very motivated competitor.

He's had problems off the field and has said stupid things in the past so people classify him as THE example of the selfish attitude-ridden proffessional black urban athlete. He's an easy target.

I think he took the big money to play for Minnesota and he genuinely likes his coach and teamates, but he's genuinely sick of losing and being with a team that is obviously constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

The guy wants to be with a winning organization. Similar to T.O., if you put Moss with the Steelers, Eagles, Patriots or even better Atlanta, he'd have a better sense of purpose and he'd excel to even greater heights than we've yet seen. And don't give me this crap about he's making great gobs of money so he should produce. He does produce and some people need to believe that they actually have a chance. I mean if everyone in the league thinks Minny's a joke why is it so hard to see that some of the veteran players might feel the same way.
Anyone want another Herschel trade? Yeah, let's call Minny, they might go for it again.:cunning:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
All this garbage about Moss not being a team player and not blocking down field and not being a leader is getting old. I've been hearing all day that he walked out on the team in the middle of the game and now I find out there was only 2 seconds left. 2 seconds. Give me a break, I mean He shouldn't have done it, but it was another example of Minny's big moronic persona.

Moss has improved tremendously in his blocking and in his leadership ability and whenever you see the guy on the field and on the sidelines he's obviously a very motivated competitor.

He's had problems off the field and has said stupid things in the past so people classify him as THE example of the selfish attitude-ridden proffessional black urban athlete. He's an easy target.

I think he took the big money to play for Minnesota and he genuinely likes his coach and teamates, but he's genuinely sick of losing and being with a team that is obviously constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

The guy wants to be with a winning organization. Similar to T.O., if you put Moss with the Steelers, Eagles, Patriots or even better Atlanta, he'd have a better sense of purpose and he'd excel to even greater heights than we've yet seen. And don't give me this crap about he's making great gobs of money so he should produce. He does produce and some people need to believe that they actually have a chance. I mean if everyone in the league thinks Minny's a joke why is it so hard to see that some of the veteran players might feel the same way.
Anyone want another Herschel trade? Yeah, let's call Minny, they might go for it again.:cunning:

You really think Minnesota would go for another Herschel Walker trade? I know he is in great phsycial shape, but the dude has been out of the league since 1997. But you are probably right, the Vikings have horrible management. I can't wait to see how they mess up in this years draft. Maybe they will give Tags the wrong card to read when it is their pick.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Here's what Moss' teammates thought about his actions:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5167124.html

Moments after Randy Moss abandoned his team Sunday at FedExField, a particularly agitated 309-pound man gave chase. Pro Bowl center Matt Birk, enraged that Moss left the field with two seconds remaining in the Vikings' 21-18 loss to Washington, confronted the wide receiver in the locker room and minced few words during a stern lecture.

"I didn't like it," Birk said Monday. "I made sure to get to the locker room quick to talk to him about it. And hopefully, it won't happen again."

At a time when the Vikings are attempting to move past a 3-7 finish and focus on their improbable playoff berth, numerous members of the organization remained bewildered and angered by Moss' petulant act. Birk said his tirade could be repeated only "with a lot of bleeps," and coach Mike Tice spoke to Moss for more than two hours Sunday night and Monday morning.

Moss has left the field early two other times in his career.Evan VucciAssociated PressWhile Tice indicated he would not fine or otherwise discipline Moss, several locker room leaders -- including Birk and quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- issued rare public rebukes of their superstar teammate.

"Really," Culpepper said, "I don't like what he did. I didn't know about it at the time, because I was on the field. But I know I'm going to address it with him, for sure. I definitely don't like it.

"Randy is Randy," Culpepper added. "He does his thing. He knows what he was doing. He's a grown man. But it's all about winning championships, and is that helping us move toward a championship? That's a question he has to ask himself."

Moss was not available to ask or answer any questions Monday. He is typically excused from team meetings after lifting weights on Monday mornings.

Moss has left the field early two other times in his career, during consecutive losses to Detroit and Jacksonville in December 2001. He was said to be stung by criticism he received last season when trainers sent him to the locker room for back treatment in the second quarter of a game at Detroit; since then, he has requested a trainer accompany him to prevent any further misperceptions about his intent.

There was no confusion Sunday, however, when Moss began walking toward the Vikings locker room, his helmet off and his head down. At the time, the Vikings were lining up for an onside kick. Had they recovered, there might have been time for one final Hail Mary pass to try and win the game.

Most players did not realize what happened until much later. Veteran receiver Marcus Robinson said, "I don't know why people are making a big deal about it" but stopped short of supporting Moss.

"That's Randy," Robinson said. "He chose to do that. That's on him. I wasn't worried too much about it. He's going to do what he's going to do. It's not a reflection on me or anybody else. It's a reflection on him and what he does. ... That's Randy Moss. He can do basically what he wants to do. He did what he did for whatever reason."

Mechanical difficulties delayed the Vikings' charter flight from returning to the Twin Cities until 11:30 p.m. Sunday. Tice said Moss called him at home later that night and then visited him Monday morning at Winter Park.

"I understand his frustration," Tice said. "But we can't let our frustrations make us make poor decisions of poor judgment. Obviously, that was poor judgment, and he understands that. ... With two seconds to go, contrary to belief, the game wasn't over. Maybe something happens and we have a chance to take one more shot."

Absent of formal discipline, Tice said, Moss "can make it up to us. He can go out and make a whole lot of plays this week."

Indeed, Moss has saved some of the best games of his career for Sunday's opponent, the Green Bay Packers. In 13 career games against Green Bay, Moss has caught 66 passes for 1,243 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Other rays of optimism were difficult to find Monday at Winter Park, where Tice said, "It's had to find any joy in Mudville." Owner Red McCombs did his best to inject some cheer, saying there is nothing bittersweet about a playoff game.

"It's totally sweet," McCombs said. "You play all year to get here. Now we're here. I'm so excited about it. Everything we want is out there for us, plain as day. Now all we have to do is get it."

McCombs said the Moss incident "doesn't concern me at all," and said the issue was so insignificant that he did not ask Tice about it during a morning phone conversation. McCombs said any discussion about Moss and the team's 3-7 finish "is not for today; it's for after the season is over."

"Today, we're not worried about yesterday," McCombs said. "I look at the playoffs and think we have as good a shot as any team to [win the Super Bowl]. I like our place. We lost to [the Packers] twice this year in close games, so we know we can beat them. We don't need any extra incentive. I don't see how it could have set up any better way."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
Here's what Moss' teammates thought about his actions:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5167124.html

Moments after Randy Moss abandoned his team Sunday at FedExField, a particularly agitated 309-pound man gave chase. Pro Bowl center Matt Birk, enraged that Moss left the field with two seconds remaining in the Vikings' 21-18 loss to Washington, confronted the wide receiver in the locker room and minced few words during a stern lecture.

"I didn't like it," Birk said Monday. "I made sure to get to the locker room quick to talk to him about it. And hopefully, it won't happen again."

At a time when the Vikings are attempting to move past a 3-7 finish and focus on their improbable playoff berth, numerous members of the organization remained bewildered and angered by Moss' petulant act. Birk said his tirade could be repeated only "with a lot of bleeps," and coach Mike Tice spoke to Moss for more than two hours Sunday night and Monday morning.

Moss has left the field early two other times in his career.Evan VucciAssociated PressWhile Tice indicated he would not fine or otherwise discipline Moss, several locker room leaders -- including Birk and quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- issued rare public rebukes of their superstar teammate.

"Really," Culpepper said, "I don't like what he did. I didn't know about it at the time, because I was on the field. But I know I'm going to address it with him, for sure. I definitely don't like it.

"Randy is Randy," Culpepper added. "He does his thing. He knows what he was doing. He's a grown man. But it's all about winning championships, and is that helping us move toward a championship? That's a question he has to ask himself."

Moss was not available to ask or answer any questions Monday. He is typically excused from team meetings after lifting weights on Monday mornings.

Moss has left the field early two other times in his career, during consecutive losses to Detroit and Jacksonville in December 2001. He was said to be stung by criticism he received last season when trainers sent him to the locker room for back treatment in the second quarter of a game at Detroit; since then, he has requested a trainer accompany him to prevent any further misperceptions about his intent.

There was no confusion Sunday, however, when Moss began walking toward the Vikings locker room, his helmet off and his head down. At the time, the Vikings were lining up for an onside kick. Had they recovered, there might have been time for one final Hail Mary pass to try and win the game.

Most players did not realize what happened until much later. Veteran receiver Marcus Robinson said, "I don't know why people are making a big deal about it" but stopped short of supporting Moss.

"That's Randy," Robinson said. "He chose to do that. That's on him. I wasn't worried too much about it. He's going to do what he's going to do. It's not a reflection on me or anybody else. It's a reflection on him and what he does. ... That's Randy Moss. He can do basically what he wants to do. He did what he did for whatever reason."

Mechanical difficulties delayed the Vikings' charter flight from returning to the Twin Cities until 11:30 p.m. Sunday. Tice said Moss called him at home later that night and then visited him Monday morning at Winter Park.

"I understand his frustration," Tice said. "But we can't let our frustrations make us make poor decisions of poor judgment. Obviously, that was poor judgment, and he understands that. ... With two seconds to go, contrary to belief, the game wasn't over. Maybe something happens and we have a chance to take one more shot."

Absent of formal discipline, Tice said, Moss "can make it up to us. He can go out and make a whole lot of plays this week."

Indeed, Moss has saved some of the best games of his career for Sunday's opponent, the Green Bay Packers. In 13 career games against Green Bay, Moss has caught 66 passes for 1,243 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Other rays of optimism were difficult to find Monday at Winter Park, where Tice said, "It's had to find any joy in Mudville." Owner Red McCombs did his best to inject some cheer, saying there is nothing bittersweet about a playoff game.

"It's totally sweet," McCombs said. "You play all year to get here. Now we're here. I'm so excited about it. Everything we want is out there for us, plain as day. Now all we have to do is get it."

McCombs said the Moss incident "doesn't concern me at all," and said the issue was so insignificant that he did not ask Tice about it during a morning phone conversation. McCombs said any discussion about Moss and the team's 3-7 finish "is not for today; it's for after the season is over."

"Today, we're not worried about yesterday," McCombs said. "I look at the playoffs and think we have as good a shot as any team to [win the Super Bowl]. I like our place. We lost to [the Packers] twice this year in close games, so we know we can beat them. We don't need any extra incentive. I don't see how it could have set up any better way."
Thanks for posting that. I had been wondering what his teammates thought about it. Same as Sean Alexander griping over losing the rushing title. Petty stuff like that rarely sits well.

Henry

Reaction score
Moss was smart enough to know that with only 2 secs and kicking the ball away the game was over. If there was more time then you would have a case. The Commanders get paid too.

Actually, after the Commanders recovered the kick there was still a second left on the clock and the refs made the Commanders run a kneel-down one more time. So conceivably the Vikings could have recovered the ball with a second to go, in which case it might have helped to have Moss around ...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Henry said:
Actually, after the Commanders recovered the kick there was still a second left on the clock and the refs made the Commanders run a kneel-down one more time. So conceivably the Vikings could have recovered the ball with a second to go, in which case it might have helped to have Moss around ...

Hows things in Commander land henry...not had a chance to visit in a long time.

Who seems to be the player or players that everyone wants with that top 10 pick?

The Duke

Reaction score
As much as I can't stand selfish egomaniacs like Moss, we should have gotten him.

Aikman needed a #1 reciever in the worst way. If Jerry Jones was willing to break the piggy bank for Galloway and the lost draft picks then we should have gotten Moss.

You never pass on gamebreakers. I agree with Jimmy Johnson's philosohy when he looked for playmakers.

Jones just shied away because of Irvin and other Cowboys recent drug problems and he worried about cleaning up the Cowboys image. I say draft the best and when they definitely screw up then react to it and trade them. Don't just assume the worst and miss out on untold number of playmakers. This scenario is just going to get worse. There will be more and more Moss trouble type of guys in the future.

Henry

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Hows things in Commander land henry...not had a chance to visit in a long time.

Who seems to be the player or players that everyone wants with that top 10 pick?

You know how it is after 6-10. Depression. Denial. Anger. Acceptance ... all that good stuff. :)

Most of us cling to the thought that the team looked much better once Ramsey came in, and that with him starting from Day One we might actually beat a few teams next year.

There's a little talk about our #9 pick starting up. Edwards seems to be the most popular choice, though some want to trade down for Heath Miller. I don't follow college, so I don't care 'til we draft them. :) Here's a good thread on it though.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87481