Randy White thinks Cowboys will be better without Dez Bryant

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"I think Dez was a big part of that football team. Now, I think he was, to a certain extent, became a distraction. You know, I met Dez, and I had a preconceived opinion of what Dez was going to be like, and he was one of the nicest, most polite people that I have ever met in my life. He said, 'Mr. White, it's a pleasure to meet you. It's good to see you. I've always heard about you.'
So, I'll never be a Dez 'not-liker' but I think the team, as a team, will be better. I think that was a good move for the Cowboys to make. And somebody is going to have to pick up the slack. They need a deep threat that can get separation down there. They got to make some big plays. You can't always run the football. You got to have somebody out there that's a threat, and I don't think they had that with Dez there at the end."

If being a distraction in itself was a deal breaker, plenty of previous Cowboys wouldn't have lasted with the team. Michael Irvin came with plenty of off-field drama, but he won three Super Bowls in Dallas. The Cowboys are generally a flexible organization that can handle the sort of problems that Bryant is often seen as causing.

The real issue is that he wasn't producing. Pro Bowl receivers can be distractions. Receivers that average 50 catches and less than 700 yards in the previous three seasons cannot be. Bryant is paid to be a superstar. He acts like a superstar. But he is not currently a superstar. In that sense, White's logic here is easy to track. Replacing Bryant's perceived production would be difficult, but replacing his actual production won't be. With that in mind, getting him out of the locker room as a distraction would theoretically make life easier for the rest of the team.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ys-better-according-to-Randy-White-120033709/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"The real issue is that he wasn't producing. Pro Bowl receivers can be distractions. Receivers that average 50 catches and less than 700 yards in the previous three seasons cannot be. Bryant is paid to be a superstar. He acts like a superstar. But he is not currently a superstar. In that sense, White's logic here is easy to track. Replacing Bryant's perceived production would be difficult, but replacing his actual production won't be. With that in mind, getting him out of the locker room as a distraction would theoretically make life easier for the rest of the team."

Pretty much what I have been saying

Blackspider214

Reaction score
And somebody is going to have to pick up the slack. They need a deep threat that can get separation down there.

Bingo.

Won't be hard to pick his up declining production. Him not being here equals no more forced throws and looks from Dak to Dez. Because we know when Dez doesn't get his, he will cause a scene on the sidelines. No matter if we are winning or not. I am convinced that if we were winning in the Super Bowl and his stats were not to his liking or his targets, he would be throwing a fit. That is how he is. But a lot of WRs are like this. It's the biggest diva position in football.

Dez was a big net negative. We will see Dak be a lot more comfortable now knowing he can spread it around. Whomever is open or the read for that play, gets the target. With Dez, he had to force it so often to appease him. That factor is gone and you will see this offense open up. Dak has looked his best in his career when Dez was out. This offense was extremely efficient.

Verdict

Reaction score
And somebody is going to have to pick up the slack. They need a deep threat that can get separation down there.

Bingo.

Not a lot of slack to pick up, because Dez really, really sucked. Don't forget that part.

Verdict

Reaction score
"The real issue is that he wasn't producing. Pro Bowl receivers can be distractions. Receivers that average 50 catches and less than 700 yards in the previous three seasons cannot be. Bryant is paid to be a superstar. He acts like a superstar. But he is not currently a superstar. In that sense, White's logic here is easy to track. Replacing Bryant's perceived production would be difficult, but replacing his actual production won't be. With that in mind, getting him out of the locker room as a distraction would theoretically make life easier for the rest of the team."

Pretty much what I have been saying

Yes. And it's brilliant. Take a victory lap.

Rayman70

Reaction score
AND some of us wonder why he is without a team. Randy beautifully lays it all out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Randy was right. If your productive then the baggage is worth it.

I was never a fan of Dez the man. But his on field ability couldn’t be denied.

I’m just not sure if his decrease in production is all on him. Afterall in these last couple years our overall recieving production is down.

I wonder how different these last two years would have been with a more prolific passing QB?

I think the bigger bottom line is with a bottom tier passing attack you can’t really justify spending for a reciever with the production our recievers have had.

I suspect that our last QB elevated all of our recievers including our retired HOF TE and uplifted Dez career masking his weaknesses which came more to the surface without him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree with diehard Tony was a gunslinger who loved the thrill of throwing it up to Dez . Dak was just not comfortable doing that . Someone in this new group of young receivers will emerge as Daks go to guy .

We just have to be patient and see who it will be . The old guard is gone and it should be a lot of fun to watch this young team grow together . I think we will be surprised how much more efficient this offense runs without Dez throwing his monkey wrench of distractions into the works .

Dak is the veteran now all these young receivers work to please him . Its there 1st year here they have no legacy or power to command he throw them the ball they have to earn it . Its a good situation and will pay off in the end . Just watch Dez will be a distant memory soon forgotten about along with the rest of the failures of his era

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He had ability, but he never ran good routes, never tried to run good routes and was a distraction to the team.

No doubt better off without him...
I agree route running was never a strength but it didn’t prevent him from becoming a great asset to our passing offense for several years.

Now was that success directly connected to Romo? Because his last 3 seasons without Romo didn’t justify his distraction with production he had.

I bashed Dez off field behavior for years but most defended his contributions and production on the field bashing me for my criticism.

Rayman70

Reaction score
All Randy did was tell the Gods honest truth. You could title what he said as : "The Good,The Bad,The Ugly" ...That Title would accurately sum up what all parties involved were thinking. Its a production based business.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I believe ole Randy has more common sense than Moose pertaining to Dez.