Rank'em: the 10 biggest surprises of the OTAs

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Very true, I remember last year at this time when Jihad Ward was this "steal" from the Raiders and was "dominant" in shorts and t-shirts.

Then the pads came on...
I think they may have given up on him too soon. He was picked up by Eberflus on the colts practice squad. They activated him with 6 games left and he got 3 sacks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they may have given up on him too soon. He was picked up by Eberflus on the colts practice squad. They activated him with 6 games left and he got 3 sacks.

Possibly, but when he's spending time on practice squads and playing just 6 games, it's clear that he's a fringe player. But it will be interesting to see if he can build on those 3 sacks.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Quinn, revamped Hyder , full health Lawrence and improved Armstrong , along with Collins, Crawford, Wise, Covington , Woods. Looks like DL is going to be good and pass rush will be improved. Now If Taco can transform from soft to hard it will be bonus, :)

Techsass

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out there's a whopping 4 DE's listed here and none of them are named Taco. I guess we'll see what's what come TC and Preseason.
Is Taco even allowed on the field yet?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The biggest take away from the OTA's is the appearance that Dak has taken the next step in his evolution to becoming an elite QB. He's getting rid of the ball quicker while hitting targets on the fly. He's reading the defense and turning what he sees to his advantage. If he can do this consistently in 2019, then I have high hopes for this team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Jon Vea Johnson has speed and nice size. The players. Darius jackson is apart of that great draft class with Dak,Zeke,Smith, M. Collins and Gathers. I've always felt he could a great backup and maybe an eventual starter somewhere. Hyder is someone I have to see.
It's good to hear that Wise has potential. Armstrong is a guy that I saw potential in last preseason. He has all the raw tools. I really feel he will take that starting spot from Quinn by mid season. I love to hear that Quinn is doing well.
M Collins has always had potential to be a very good 3T. If he stays healthy for this camp, it's going to show during the season. Hes always had great lower body strength and if he increases his upper body strength, look out for a DT who will be amongst the top DTs in sacks. He already had quickness.
Jourdan Lewis was one of the players I like coming out of college he has it. I really feel that he can become Revis like. He covers awesome and he looks for interceptions and he loves to tackle.
Randall Cobb, people dont understand how good this guy really is. Rodgers can spread it around like Dak so stats may not be consistent. He can play. In my eyesight if cooper is a 10 cobb is a 9 to 9.5 he can flat out play and can be a number one receiver if he stays healthy.
DAK,DAK,DAK!! Its is great to hear he is throwing the ball better than any offseason he has played in. He is throwing more accurate than ever. He has better toys than ever. He has always made nice decisions. Hes a leader and if he is truly throwing the ball better with all the intangibles he has , he is no doubt worth the 34 million he is being offered and it's time to sign him.https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/rank-em-the-10-biggest-surprises-of-otas
Hey, great write up. I think Armstrong is a player but I don't see him taking Quinn's starting spot. Quinn is the best pass rusher on the team, now that he is back to his natural RE spot and with Lawrence on the opposite side getting attention, Quinn will have double digits sacks and most likely leads the team.

Pants

Reaction score
Yes, there has been some. I know that with Byron Jones and Awuzie out, Jackson and the young corners (Olumba) have been getting many more reps and I've heard done good reports.

Wilson has been praised for his smarts and preparedness and had an impressive INT a day or two ago.

...and I thought I read something about Wilson being the type of guy that will hit (of course, not in a t-shirt in mini-camp)

reddyuta

Reaction score
Johnson is interesting ,if he has a good camp he may make the team.I also like cedric Wilson and hope he makes the team too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...and I thought I read something about Wilson being the type of guy that will hit (of course, not in a t-shirt in mini-camp)

I think I did as well, maybe reading that Wilson was sometimes too willing to hit and sometimes hurt himself.

Pants

Reaction score
I think I did as well, maybe reading that Wilson was sometimes too willing to hit and sometimes hurt himself.

yes, and thus, a 6th rounder instead of higher - something along those lines....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jon Vea Johnson has speed and nice size. The players. Darius jackson is apart of that great draft class with Dak,Zeke,Smith, M. Collins and Gathers. I've always felt he could a great backup and maybe an eventual starter somewhere. Hyder is someone I have to see.
It's good to hear that Wise has potential. Armstrong is a guy that I saw potential in last preseason. He has all the raw tools. I really feel he will take that starting spot from Quinn by mid season. I love to hear that Quinn is doing well.
M Collins has always had potential to be a very good 3T. If he stays healthy for this camp, it's going to show during the season. Hes always had great lower body strength and if he increases his upper body strength, look out for a DT who will be amongst the top DTs in sacks. He already had quickness.
Jourdan Lewis was one of the players I like coming out of college he has it. I really feel that he can become Revis like. He covers awesome and he looks for interceptions and he loves to tackle.
Randall Cobb, people dont understand how good this guy really is. Rodgers can spread it around like Dak so stats may not be consistent. He can play. In my eyesight if cooper is a 10 cobb is a 9 to 9.5 he can flat out play and can be a number one receiver if he stays healthy.
DAK,DAK,DAK!! Its is great to hear he is throwing the ball better than any offseason he has played in. He is throwing more accurate than ever. He has better toys than ever. He has always made nice decisions. Hes a leader and if he is truly throwing the ball better with all the intangibles he has , he is no doubt worth the 34 million he is being offered and it's time to sign him.https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/rank-em-the-10-biggest-surprises-of-otas

Nothing from OTA's has surprised me so far. Seriously.

I like the way that Kitna has turned out. But expected him to be a good QBC.

Hearing that Dak is throwing a nice deep ball is just repetition, familiarity and the new coaches focusing on it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak, Collins, Quinn and Cobb are all veterans. Why would anyone be surprised that they looked good playing 3/4-speed in non-hitting OTAs?

As for Darius “Practice Squad” Jackson, he always looks good in OTAs/preseason.

So maybe 5 actual “surprises”?

Darius Jackson has done NOTHING ever. He wont even make the squad. He TC fodder.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
The only surprise I ever have for OTAs is how little we really learn about how these new players will actually play when they are wearing pads in a real game. Rico is in the OTA HOF, but somehow he can’t remember who to block when the live bullets start, lol.
OTA HOF, spit my beer out on that one, haha.