CFZ Ranking Cowboys Seasons And Comparing Postseason Results

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would too. However, I wanted to find a method to analyze and compare that didn't involve sentiment or opinion. This is a purely mathematical method based on the most basic measurements which is results, points, yards, and mistakes/opportunities.
It seems like a very good system. The only place it seems to have a problem (IMO) is overrating some seasons that had good reg season numbers but no playoff success. My example would be having 2021 ahead of 1975. The ‘75 season to me has to be ranked ahead of 2021 or even 2007 because of winning the 3 playoff games while ‘07 and ‘21 saw us not win any playoff games. I would weight playoff wins heavier.

But this is still great work on your part sir. You obviously have a great perspective on Cowboys history which is much appreciated.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice seeing something positive about the team. No players, coaches, staff or owners denigrated.

bigE79

Reaction score
I could have sworn that Lynn Swan ran right over Benny Barnes and they flagged Barnes.

Two losses by four points apiece, either game could have gone either way but the Cowboys were never lucky in championship games.

Every single Super Bowl loss was by 4 points or less. Every single Super Bowl victory was by double digits.
Swann did run over Barnes,I can still see it.

bigE79

Reaction score
Any doubts also watch the Stealers vs. seahawks SB. Also blatant ref miscalls. Zebra made a fortune in Vegas.
Everyone and their mother knew that was fixed,that's why stealer fans never talk about that game... especially after some refs came out and apologized.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I GET that is is a formula.

But come on....Putting the 2021 teams as 8th pretty much craps on everything else
I guess that happens with blind data.

12-5 regular season (6 vs weak division) with few or no good wins all year.
They got bullied in the wildcard round of the playoffs by a team that did not make it to the Super Bowl.

Come on

And 2007 was better (at least they lost a nail-biter to the eventual SB winner) but they are are also still ranked too high.
All of those teams that went to the NFC title game should be higher.
2014 also maybe should even be higher than 2021 or 2016 (or, more accurately, they should be lower)....imo

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I GET that is is a formula.

But come on....Putting the 2021 teams as 8th pretty much craps on everything else
I guess that happens with blind data.

12-5 regular season (6 vs weak division) with few or no good wins all year.
They got bullied in the wildcard round of the playoffs by a team that did not make it to the Super Bowl.

Come on

And 2007 was better (at least they lost a nail-biter to the eventual SB winner) but they are are also still ranked too high.
All of those teams that went to the NFC title game should be higher.
2014 also maybe should even be higher than 2021 or 2016 (or, more accurately, they should be lower)....imo
The rankings had absolutely nothing to do with the postseason. In fact, one of my purposes for ranking them only according to their regular season was to demonstrate the disparity between regular season and postseason success.

Strength of schedule is one of those "egg or chicken first" conundrums. You can't physically pair a team of one season against another and claim one was stronger from the start. What proof do you have? Are you going to try and prove that an undefeated team is stronger than a 9-7 team? The 2007 Giants might and did have something to say about that.

The 2021 Cowboys played a 17 game schedule. Only 6 of those were against an NFC East opponent. That's 35.2% of the schedule. They also played three 1st place teams in their division and four 2nd place teams. They played five teams that ended up in the playoffs.

In 2007 there were three teams that ended up 13-3 and one that ended up 16-0. That is a valid argument for claiming that the 2007 NFL was weaker than the 2021 NFL, especially considering the Super Bowl champion had a 9-7 regular season. However, in reality, who knows?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
To reiterate what I wrote about the NFC being weaker in the 1970s than the 90s - The Cowboys were the only NFC team to win the Super Bowl in the 1970s.

The 90 to 95 NFC East won 5 Super Bowls. The 49ers, the still reigning "team of the 1980s" were still considered the top dog until the Cowboys took over (though the league allowed them to cheat the salary cap which is on the record for those denying funny business in the NFL).

terra

Reaction score
To reiterate what I wrote about the NFC being weaker in the 1970s than the 90s - The Cowboys were the only NFC team to win the Super Bowl in the 1970s.

The 90 to 95 NFC East won 5 Super Bowls. The 49ers, the still reigning "team of the 1980s" were still considered the top dog until the Cowboys took over (though the league allowed them to cheat the salary cap which is on the record for those denying funny business in the NFL).
cannot argue that the NFC was somewhat down in the early 70's. Got better towards the end of the decade.
The 70's were arguably the greatest period of the AFC in a lot of ways. You had the Colts to start with, then the Dolphins, Raiders, Stealers. While the NFC had the Cowboys and the Vikings mostly; and the Vikings got worked in every single super bowl they were in

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Indeed, any call that goes against the Cowboys is prima facie evidence of a league wide conspiracy. How silly of me to forget.

I'm just thankful they allowed Dallas to win five Super Bowls.

None of the 5 wins were even close. Total domination . . . TOTAL ! Ain't no way to stack a deck against that.