News: Ranking the NFC East’s Wide Receiver corps

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ranking the NFC East’s Wide Receiver corps
Ranking the NFC East’s Wide Receiver corps

...#1. The Dallas Cowboys

Like the rest of the offensive side of the ball, the Cowboys have elite talent at the receiving core. Dez Bryant is as good as it gets, and will head into 2016 fully healthy for the first time since week one of last season.

Terrance Williams is a solid route runner who complements 88 perfectly on the other side. Cole Beasley has developed into one of the better slot receivers in the NFL and has earned Tony Romo’s trust in high pressure situations.

Add into the receiving core future NFL Hall of Fame tight end Jason Witten, and you have the best set of targets in the NFC East, and arguably one of the top ones in the league.

While the unit underwhelmed a bit in 2016, the obvious cause would be poor play at the quarterback position. With Romo joining Bryant in returning from an injury-ruined season, the passing attack should be able to go toe-to-toe with anybody in the league.

Looking to the future, Terrance Williams is in a contract year and the Cowboys may look to replace him from in-house.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Best collection of proven players goes to Dallas.

Best wr goes to the Giants bar none.

Best collective potential goes to Washington.

Disaster waiting to happen goes to Philly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best collection of proven players goes to Dallas.

Best wr goes to the Giants bar none.

Best collective potential goes to Washington.

Disaster waiting to happen goes to Philly.

You like OBJ better than Dez? They're both pretty good.

I like our WRs right now, but I gotta say that Crowder, Garcon, and Doctson are a pretty impressive group of players. Shepard is going to be a beast, too, I'm afraid. 3 of the 4 NFCE teams have good WR groups, overall.

erod

Reaction score
Best wr goes to the Giants bar none. .

That's just ridiculous. I don't think OBJ is even in the top 10 in the NFL. More flash than substance.

Dez, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, Jarvis Landry, Demarius Thomas, Allen Robinson, Amari Cooper, Brandon Marshall, Mike Evans, Larry Fitzgerald, TY Hilton....

Last edited:

StylisticS

Reaction score

That's just ridiculous. I don't think OBJ is even in the top 10 in the NFL. More flash than substance.

Dez, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, Jarvis Landry, Demarius Thomas, Allen Robinson, Amari Cooper, Brandon Marshall, Mike Evans, Larry Fitzgerald, TY Hilton....
I cannot agree with this. OBJ runs great routes, has produced both years he's been in the league, has great hands,and has lots of speed. He's definitely in the top 10 if not top 5. I won't overrated him in saying he's far and away better than Dez. They both are different players anyway. But I won't underrated him either.

Califan007

Reaction score
The Washington Commanders finished twelfth in passing yardage on their way to the division title in 2015.

That number is more of a testament to how well Kirk Cousins played than how talented their receiving core is.

Cousins’ breakout season really inflated the receiver’s numbers, and....

joanlaughgif.gif

Headlined by Jordan Reed, this unit lacked talent and relied more on niche players...

giphy.gif

DallasDomination

Reaction score
You like OBJ better than Dez? They're both pretty good.

I like our WRs right now, but I gotta say that Crowder, Garcon, and Doctson are a pretty impressive group of players. Shepard is going to be a beast, too, I'm afraid. 3 of the 4 NFCE teams have good WR groups, overall.

I think Dez is an amazing player I've always said that. BUT right now I have to go with ODB.

I think Dez when healthy does some things better than ODB. But overall I think Beckham is better imo. I know it's unpopular around here but besides Antonio Brown there's few wrs that run better routes than Beckham. And he has amazing hands and speed. That to me puts him above Dez. I shouldn't of said bar none that what passive aggressive of me.

erod

Reaction score
If Josh Doctson turns out to be what I think he'll be, the Commanders will be a handful at receiver to handle.

ghst187

Reaction score
risking heresy, i have to say the skins are pretty loaded at WR as are the midgets. If the rookie WRs those teams drafted turn out to be as good as I think they will be then we are easily third in the east at WR corp even with TE factored in. Not that there is huge separation for any of the three teams but would not dare proclaim our WR talent definitively better than the skins or giants.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Dez is big and strong. OBJ is fast and quick. What makes OBJ better than Dez in my opinion is I think a pretty clear reality that OBJ ran more and better routes as a rookie than Dez ever has (and probably ever will). What I love about Dez is his passion for playing. You don't see that in pro athletes very often anymore. Beckham, on the other hand, seems like a little bit of a temperamental brat to me. Shut him down for a quarter and he gets pouty.

A Healthy Cruz is far better than any WR on the Dallas roster not named Dez.

Sydla

Reaction score
Landry Hat tends to be homers.

Commanders have the best WR group. Until Williams proves to be a more consistent #2 threat, the Cowboys are just a tick behind the Skins IMO.

Giants have potential but Cruz appears to still be having some injury issues so until he can prove he's back to normal, the Giants aren't up there yet.

Eagles. LOL.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dez is big and strong. OBJ is fast and quick. What makes OBJ better than Dez in my opinion is I think a pretty clear reality that OBJ ran more and better routes as a rookie than Dez ever has (and probably ever will). What I love about Dez is his passion for playing. You don't see that in pro athletes very often anymore. Beckham, on the other hand, seems like a little bit of a temperamental brat to me. Shut him down for a quarter and he gets pouty.

The reason obj is better is because they actually utilize him. Us on the other hand. Seeing Dez creating mismatches only happens when Romo moves him. It's horrible to watch.

VACowboy

Reaction score
The reason obj is better is because they actually utilize him. Us on the other hand. Seeing Dez creating mismatches only happens when Romo moves him. It's horrible to watch.

Couldn't agree more. Dez is good at going up after the ball, but IMHO he doesn't see nearly enough deep slants or any other crossing patterns that get him the ball on the move.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rank them however you like--as its just opinion. But at least get the basic data right...
He titles the article best Wide Receivers, then he adds in Tight Ends...so it isn't rating just WRs.
No problem, but just state that in the title.

I'm far from a Commanders fan, but this writer comes across as true amateur in his discription of their group.
For starters, he totally left out Pierre Garçon...who led them in yards, catches, and TDs. At least mention the guy.
Then he belittles the rest by calling DeSean Jackson and Jamison Crowder as nothing but niche players that lack talent.
At least he mention Josh Doctson...so he was aware there was a draft in 2016.

Good grief. Sounds like a sixth grade Cowboys fan.

Last edited:

StylisticS

Reaction score

Yeah but I doubt we'll ever see the 2011 Cruz again.