Ranking the QB's

Jumbo075

Reaction score
So, I've been watching some tape on the QB's, and I have a little better understanding now of what I think we have in the QB class.

I think there are three QB's who will be picked in the top 5:
  • Sam Darnold, USC - reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger. Has great mobility and all the tools to be a starter for many years. But, he needs a little time to develop. He was not as good in 2017, and would be better suited to sit for a year. I think the Giants are a good fit for him.
  • Josh Rosen, UCLA - is ready to step in as an NFL starter immediately. Has all the throws needed to in his arsenal to be successful in the NFL. I think he's a good fit for the Jets.
  • Baker Mayfield - may be the most pro-ready QB in this draft. He doesn't have the ideal size of Darnold or Rosen, but he reminds me of Drew Brees. I think that because of his size, he'll be picked after both Darnold and Rosen. If the Browns, who are reported to really like statistical analysis, are more interested in Mayfield, then they can likely afford to spend the #1 pick on another player, and wait till #4 to get Mayfield.
So, it really comes down to which QB the Browns want. If they are in love with Darnold or Rosen, they'll need to use the #1 pick to get their guy. I think they've probably expected a team to trade up with the Colts, and know that they cannot get Darnold or Rosen at #4. And if they do pick a QB with the 1st overall pick, then the Giants may well stay put and select RB Saquon Barkley. If that happens, the Browns could choose to trade down with the Bills from the 4th pick, and get picks 12 & 22 in exchange, giving them 3 picks in the 1st round AND 3 picks in the 2nd round. Or the Browns could shock everyone and use the #1 pick on Mayfield.

After the top 3 QB's, there is a significant drop off.
  • Mason Rudolph - I have Rudolph rated ahead of both Lamer Jackson and Josh Allen. He's a more mature player with more starting experience, and a good completion percentage in college - something both Jackson and Allen lack. But that doesn't mean that teams will pick him before Jackson or Allen. Both of those guys have physical traits that Rudolph doesn't have. Rudolph is likely a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Giants and Broncos might be interested in Rudolph.
  • Lamar Jackson - an NFL team will need to be willing to change their offense for Jackson, but he offers more dynamic play making ability than any other QB in this draft. He's a taller version of Michael Vick, and without the dog-killing baggage. A team like Miami could use Jackson to revamp their offense, and compete in the AFC east. Whether Miami could wait until the 2nd round to get him is the big question. The Cardinals could also be interested in Jackson.
  • Josh Allen - Allen has a huge arm, and is wildly inaccurate. I don't think he should be a 1st round pick, but a team like the Cardinals could take a chance on him. With Sam Bradford, they don't have to rush Allen to the field. Also, Allen could get picked as early as #5 by the Broncos, but I think that Elway wants to give Paxton Lynch more time to live up to his draft status. And the Steelers could look at him also, as a future replacement for Roethlisberger.
After the top 6 QB's, I think there are five other draftable QB's in this draft.
  • Luke Falk
  • Riley Ferguson
  • Kyle Lauletta
  • Chase Litton
  • Mike White
Of those guys, I like Lauletta as a potential draft pick in the 4th or 5th round for the Cowboys to be a backup QB to Dak Prescott.

Last edited:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
So, I've been watching some tape on the QB's, and I have a little better understanding now of what I think we have in the QB class.

• Sam Darnold, USC - reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger. Has great mobility and all the tools to be a starter for many years. But, he needs a little time to develop. He was not as good in 2017, and would be better suited to sit for a year. I think the Giants are a good fit for him.
  • Josh Rosen, UCLA - is ready to step in as an NFL starter immediately. Has all the throws needed to in his arsenal to be successful in the NFL. I think he's a good fit for the Jets.
  • Baker Mayfield - may be the most pro-ready QB in this draft. He doesn't have the ideal size of Darnold or Rosen, but he reminds me of Drew Brees. I think that because of his size, he'll be picked after both Darnold and Rosen. If the Browns, who are reported to really like statistical analysis, are more interested in Mayfield, then they can likely afford to spend the #1 pick on another player, and wait till #4 to get Mayfield.
So, it really comes down to which QB the Browns want. If they are in love with Darnold or Rosen, they'll need to use the #1 pick to get their guy. I think they've probably expected a team to trade up with the Colts, and know that they cannot get Darnold or Rosen at #4. And if they do pick a QB with the 1st overall pick, then the Giants may well stay put and select RB Saquon Barkley. If that happens, the Browns could choose to trade down with the Bills from the 4th pick, and get picks 12 & 22 in exchange, giving them 3 picks in the 1st round AND 3 picks in the 2nd round. Or the Browns could shock everyone and use the #1 pick on Mayfield.

• Mason Rudolph - I have Rudolph rated ahead of both Lamer Jackson and Josh Allen. He's a more mature player with more starting experience, and a good completion percentage in college - something both Jackson and Allen lack. But that doesn't mean that teams will pick him before Jackson or Allen. Both of those guys have physical traits that Rudolph doesn't have. Rudolph is likely a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Giants and Broncos might be interested in Rudolph.
  • Lamar Jackson - an NFL team will need to be willing to change their offense for Jackson, but he offers more dynamic play making ability than any other QB in this draft. He's a taller version of Michael Vick, and without the dog-killing baggage. A team like Miami could use Jackson to revamp their offense, and compete in the AFC east. Whether Miami could wait until the 2nd round to get him is the big question. The Cardinals could also be interested in Jackson.
  • Josh Allen - Allen has a huge arm, and is wildly inaccurate. I don't think he should be a 1st round pick, but a team like the Cardinals could take a chance on him. With Sam Bradford, they don't have to rush Allen to the field. Also, Allen could get picked as early as #5 by the Broncos, but I think that Elway wants to give Paxton Lynch more time to live up to his draft status. And the Steelers could look at him also, as a future replacement for Roethlisberger.
After the top 6 QB's, I think there are five other draftable QB's in this draft.
  • Luke Falk
  • Riley Ferguson
  • Kyle Lauletta
  • Chase Litton
  • Mike White
Of those guys, I like Lauletta as a potential draft pick in the 4th or 5th round for the Cowboys to be a backup QB to Dak Prescott.
1)Rush is Dak's back up. 2)Falk and White ahead of Lauletta.

kskboys

Reaction score
1)Rush is Dak's back up. 2)Falk and White ahead of Lauletta.
Why? The game is too fast for White, and I doubt if he'll ever be able to read a D, and Falk prolly doesn't have the arm for the NFL. No, Lauletta doesn't have a cannon either, but his quick trigger and release along w/ a great feel for the game could easily make him a decent NFL starter.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Of those QBs, I got:

1) Lauletta-quick read, quick release, pocket presence, accuracy n tight windows, confidence.

2)Litton
3) Falk
4) White
5) Ferguson

Carter

Reaction score
I like Josh Allen better than Darnold, but thats just my opinion. Allen wasnt accurate but he also had terrible Receivers. He has by far and way the best arm in the Draft and in that Pass Heavy NFL a Team will take him early and hope they can fix his accuracy with better Coaching and Receivers who can catch a ball.

I dont know about Mayfield, something turns me off on him.

I have them

1. Rosen
2. Allen
3. Darnold
4. Mayfield
5. Rudolph

DFWJC

Reaction score
You guys are underestimating Allen.
Re-watch his tape.
His footwork is the issue with his accuracy.
Very fixable
He's a freak otherwise

The other three are ahead of now, I agree.
But it may not end up that down the road.

Verdict

Reaction score

• Luke Falk
  • Riley Ferguson
  • Kyle Lauletta
  • Chase Litton
  • Mike White

If the Browns don't take a QB at #1 overall there is no help for them. You don't let 3 QBs go before you take one of you haven't had one for 10 years.

Verdict

Reaction score
Also Mayfield is the top QB by a long shot. Darnold has bust written all over him.