Rant! Why are so many people blowing this off?

ejthedj

Reaction score
Rant:

Why are so many people blowing this off? I mean, cheating is a direct threat to the entire game's integrity.

And yet, I saw Wilbon totally dismiss the idea that the Patriot's cheating was anywhere close to Pacman's OFF the filed actions. And this is a repeated pattern by media and fans alike.

Everybody says, no big deal--Pats really are great. I agree, for this year they are -- with Moss, Thomas, Welker, etc.

But in the past? They are known for subbing anybody in and still winning. A 35 year old mediocre WR (Brown) plays CB for them (the hardest spot on the team!) and excels. Why can't other teams do this?

I call shananigans! This smells like a conspiracy. Only possible reason for the dismissal of it all is to sweep it under the rug. If 3 of the last 5 Superbowls are suspect, then everything is under suspicion. And Goodell and the NFL must be praying that the Pats will roll everybody this year and prove it didn't matter. They burned the freaking evidence for cris-sake!

I say, watch the refs on Sunday, and for the Pats all year... Is anybody else outraged about this?

k19

Reaction score
Jealous much?

No I'm not ouraged by this at all as it happens all the time.

Jimmy Johnson has said on record numerous times that they filmed back in the 90's So does that mean we give back the Lombardi trophys and yank Emmitt, Troy and Michael out of the HOF.

As far as subbing people in I think thats called good drafting. I know its hard to grasp for some of us especially since many remember Jerry's drafts. It actually does happen though teams actually scout and draft players that fit their scheme without reaching.

Ref's blow calls all the time. I think they call it mistakes and I hear people make them quite often.

If this is your rallying cry you need to get over it and move on. All the tape in the world doesnt do any good if you can't perform on the field.

dooomsday

Reaction score
k19;1702431 said:
Jealous much?

Jimmy Johnson has said on record numerous times that they filmed back in the 90's So does that mean we give back the Lombardi trophys and yank Emmitt, Troy and Michael out of the HOF.

As far as subbing people in I think thats called good drafting. I know its hard to grasp for some of us especially since many remember Jerry's drafts. It actually does happen though teams actually scout and draft players that fit their scheme without reaching.

Ref's blow calls all the time. I think they call it mistakes and I hear people make them quite often.

If this is your rallying cry you need to get over it and move on. All the tape in the world doesnt do any good if you can't perform on the field.

Switzer admitted it too.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
k19;1702431 said:
Jealous much?

:lmao2: Excellent reply.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
k19;1702431 said:
Jealous much?

1. He said they tried it. He said it didn't help them so they stopped doing it.

2. Jimmy Johnson didn't do it 1 week after the NFL sent out a memo warning all teams NOT to do it.

alancdc

Reaction score
ejthedj;1702396 said:
Rant:

Why are so many people blowing this off? I mean, cheating is a direct threat to the entire game's integrity.

And yet, I saw Wilbon totally dismiss the idea that the Patriot's cheating was anywhere close to Pacman's OFF the filed actions. And this is a repeated pattern by media and fans alike.

Everybody says, no big deal--Pats really are great. I agree, for this year they are -- with Moss, Thomas, Welker, etc.

But in the past? They are known for subbing anybody in and still winning. A 35 year old mediocre WR (Brown) plays CB for them (the hardest spot on the team!) and excels. Why can't other teams do this?

I call shananigans! This smells like a conspiracy. Only possible reason for the dismissal of it all is to sweep it under the rug. If 3 of the last 5 Superbowls are suspect, then everything is under suspicion. And Goodell and the NFL must be praying that the Pats will roll everybody this year and prove it didn't matter. They burned the freaking evidence for cris-sake!

I say, watch the refs on Sunday, and for the Pats all year... Is anybody else outraged about this?

I would say it is the same reason why the Carolina Panther steroid investivation just kind of went away last year. They have documented records of like 8 Panther players buying steriods from a Columbuia, SC doctor, who I believe is still in jail for this, 2 weeks before they played NE in the SB but have we heard anything about it or anyone suspended? It is because football is KING and nobody wants to do anything to effect that so it gets swept under the rug as quickly as possible. I mean baseball has been drilled by Congress, but football has skated by even with such evidence as the Panther "situation."

k19

Reaction score
Rack;1702447 said:
1. He said they tried it. He said it didn't help them so they stopped doing it.

2. Jimmy Johnson didn't do it 1 week after the NFL sent out a memo warning all teams NOT to do it.

For example, FOX's Jimmy Johnson admitted to videotaping coaching signals during his time with the Cowboys, and that he was told about the technique by a Chiefs scout 18 years ago. Johnson also confessed to having interns rifle through the press box trash in search of notes that might have been discarded by opposing coaches

1. If he did it at all he's just a guilty as anyone else who's done it. Common place or not if people are going to persecute one persecute all

2. Johnson also didnt have the HUGE testies that Hoddie did by having someone do it Pats gear right there on the opponents sideline. So does it make it any more wrong if it was a day a week or a year after a memo Rack?

All I'm saying is theres bigger rallying cries that they cheat and to try and back it up with "the refs help" and Troy Brown is a lame backing tool.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Troy Brown is a lame argument?!?!

Come on, the guy was a below average WR who comes in and plays CB (the hardest position in the NFL!) at 34, with weak size, and makes a bunch of picks. You know how that happens? Knowing the routes they run--then you can jump them.

Once again, people's love of the NFL causes them to dismiss this. Even if other people did it (which we have no evidence of--innocent until proven guilty) and even if it doesn't help that much, it's STILL CHEATING! This is like the argument that a criminal should go free because a) other people commit crimes, too and b) they didn't really steal or hurt someone very effectively. Just ridiculous!!

But nobody cares, just sweep it under the rug. My rant has nothing to do with this weekends game. It won't effect the outcome. I've been mad about this the whole time.

CoCo

Reaction score
  1. Lots of indication that others did/do the same thing although admittedly more discreetly.
  2. Differing opinion of how much it helps (Jimmy Johnson), therefore how much value does it have.
  3. Though we can debate all day the appropriateness of the punishment, fact remains NE got docked a 1st round pick. Think of how giddy we've been about having 2 1st rounders. Its a significant punishment.
  4. Camera is off the sideline, end of practice as far as we can tell.
What more are we as fans supposed to do? Time to move on.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
k19;1702431 said:
Jealous much?

Give me a break. The Pats were caught red handed and didnt deny it. From what we know, now in 2007, the league had been taking action to stop anything like it. There is no way to know how much differently or how much more the Pats have done it than other teams, nor is there any way to know if it has made any difference in the score of any game. But that said, the circumstances as they have occurred definitley puts the question in anyone's head as to the legitimacy of the score of any Pats game for the last several years at least. You cant know for sure but dont berate someone who casts doubt. Also "get over it and move on" is kind of dismissive and disrespectful of someones point. It did justhappen a few weeks ago and its the first time they have played Dallas since. As for "all the tape in the world doesnt do any good if you cant perform" thats also a weak point because you can perform on the field well and lose cant you? But knowledge can give you a distinct advantage.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
k19;1702489 said:
1. If he did it at all he's just a guilty as anyone else who's done it. Common place or not if people are going to persecute one persecute all
guilty of what? if it wasn't illegal, what is he guilty of?

2. Johnson also didnt have the HUGE testies that Hoddie did by having someone do it Pats gear right there on the opponents sideline. So does it make it any more wrong if it was a day a week or a year after a memo Rack?
Is this a joke? Belichick actually gets POINTS for having someone in Pats gear film them on their own sideline? What a ridiculous notion.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
fiveandcounting;1702988 said:
Give me a break. The Pats were caught red handed and didnt deny it. From what we know, now in 2007, the league had been taking action to stop anything like it. There is no way to know how much differently or how much more the Pats have done it than other teams, nor is there any way to know if it has made any difference in the score of any game. But that said, the circumstances as they have occurred definitley puts the question in anyone's head as to the legitimacy of the score of any Pats game for the last several years at least. You cant know for sure but dont berate someone who casts doubt. Also "get over it and move on" is kind of dismissive and disrespectful of someones point. It did justhappen a few weeks ago and its the first time they have played Dallas since. As for "all the tape in the world doesnt do any good if you cant perform" thats also a weak point because you can perform on the field well and lose cant you? But knowledge can give you a distinct advantage.

There are a ton of "can't know" and "don't know for sure's" in this post. That is why people want to move along. We can discuss this until you know some thing. That might take years, so let's not use this as an excuse if we should lose Sunday. I don't know if the current coaching staff of the Cowboys is doing it today. I will say this though, if they did it in Buffalo they suck at it and I hope they quit doing it. But who knows?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
peplaw06;1703066 said:
guilty of what? if it wasn't illegal, what is he guilty of?

Is this a joke? Belichick actually gets POINTS for having someone in Pats gear film them on their own sideline? What a ridiculous notion.

:lmao2:

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Do you know what the outcry would be if it were a Cowboy's coach that was accused of this and our SB's were considered tainted!, instead this was touched upon and then swept under the rug by the NFL.

ejthedj

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1703184 said:
Do you know what the outcry would be if it were a Cowboy's coach that was accused of this and our SB's were considered tainted!, instead this was touched upon and then swept under the rug by the NFL.

Damn Good point!!

If we did it, we'd be crucified and the entire world of Boys haters (like 60% of NFL fans) would be up in arms, including all these Boys-hater media types.

Again, it is ridiculous that it has been swept under the rug. Think Bonds controversy is going away anytime soon? Pete Rose? The NBA ref? -- They are all cheaters, and only one is totally dismissed from the get-go.

And to think that they dismiss it with arguments that say They cheated but so do other people and it doesn't work that well?!!!
Yeah, I raped that girl, but so did my buddies and I didn't really like it or it wasn't that long?

WOW

ejthedj

Reaction score
More proof? This thread has over 350 views and only 16 replies, many by same few people.

Even fans of other teams want this to go away

zeromaster

Reaction score
The NFL immediately destroyed the evidence, as though they weren't convinced their own office could be trusted.

That speaks volumes...

This "everybody does it" and "it's just sports" crap is just that. A rationalization of a society that's settling for less than the best. That used to be the explanation that children used for their behavior; now adults have adopted it as well.

We will wake up one day and wonder where this country went. The answer is in the mirror.