Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This was exactly what Stephen said 2 weeks back

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Disagree. Needs to win the NFC not just make it to the champ game
You disagree that Jerry told Rappoport that getting to the NFCCG would keep his job and that what Jerry said was actually that Garrett would have to get to the Super Bowl?

Or do you think that a NFCCG appearance is actually what was said but you disagree with Jerry and think a super bowl trip is the only way Garrett should keep his job?

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Rapaport's guess is no better than yours or mine. Jerry is looking for something to rationalize keeping Garrett, not to let him go. It's been that way for the last 5 years or so, you think it's really changed? My guess, and that's all it is, if Garrett wins in the 1st round and has a decent showing in the 2nd, even in a loss, Garrett get a new contract.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
That nobody ever responds to anything you type anymore should make you realize that everyone here knows your an Eagles fan masquerading as a Cowboys fan.

I don't care if anyone responds, but like clockwork and Pavlov's dog, you do.

Here boy...Here boy...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That shouldn't be the standard. If he somehow makes it to the championship game and the team is blown out, he should still be fired.

You have to wonder, how would Garrett be viewed if Dallas wouldnt have gotten screwed by the refs vs the packers in 2014 and 2016

gimmesix

Reaction score
That would be horrible news. We need to move on from Garrett even if we win the superbowl. If we win, it will have been the oc and dc who made it happen. Garrett remains on the outside looking in.

Can't agree with this. If he somehow got the team to the Super Bowl, he deserves to keep his job, even if Dallas loses. Holding any coach to the standard of having to win the Super Bowl, or even beyond that as you are, is asking for more than is reasonable IMO.

Reasonable to me for a head coach who has lasted as long as Garrett is at least making a couple of NFC Championship Games and looking like a real contender in them.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You have to wonder, how would Garrett be viewed if Dallas wouldnt have gotten screwed by the refs vs the packers in 2014 and 2016

That's the way the playoffs go. The bottom line is winning. No one remembers, at least not for long, the reasons/excuses for why it didn't happen. Garrett isn't the only coach whose team was edged out with questionable calls being involved.

Bottom line is you've got to get it done. And if he had found a way in those games, yes, he would be viewed differently. For me, it still would matter how those teams performed in the NFCCG.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jason Garrett wants to keep his job, he’ll have to lead the Cowboys to the NFC Championship Game. NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport tweets that Dallas will have to make the conference championship to prevent his firing.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-jason-garrett-cowboys

There is no possible way that he could know that.

I'm certain that the Cowboys have not made that decision at this point.

With the dynamic of Stephen Jones running the football operations but Jerry obviously being Jerry, there is no way to know to predict what will happen.

Personally, I'm convinced that Stephen Jones is adamantly apposed to giving Garrett another contract regardless of the season's outcome. He hates spending money and not getting a good return on investment.

Everything the past few years has been done based on the approach that Stephen Jones has defined in multiple radio interviews. The first major sign that SJones had been much more empowered was the Zack Martin over Johnny Football draft pick. Jerry loved Johnny but the pick ended up being an OG which is the least flashy and least Jerry-like 1st round pick possible.

SJones did lose on giving Dez the contract that he wanted; however, that appears to be the last time the Jerry has over-ridden SJones on any major decisions.

SJones negotiates all the big contracts including the DLaw contract and the on-going Dak and Cooper contracts. Jerry is completely removed from those other than the updates he gets from SJones and staff. The agent for DLaw said he basically had NO contact with Jerry in the negotiation process. SJones has also defined the free agency approach and was the architect of the Cooper trade.

The concept of keeping players on big contracts just because they were great in the past was a Jerry concept. SJones takes a business approach and moves on from older players and/or has them take a pay cut.

My Point:
With the unknown of the Stephen / Jerry dynamic and who will really make the final decision, it's impossible to know what will happen with the Cowboys Head Coaching situation.

If it was an option to just extend Garrett for 1 year, then maybe SJones would be more open to that option; however, it would require a 3-year contract just because the HC can't be seen as a lame duck again. I just don't think that SJones wants to commit to Garrett for 3 more years. He has seen that Garrett just does not have "it" with regards to being an NFL Head Coach.

Dumping the head coach is obviously on another level from player decisions. Even NFL owners that don't claim to be the GM get involved to some extent on those decisions.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That would be horrible news. We need to move on from Garrett even if we win the superbowl. If we win, it will have been the oc and dc who made it happen. Garrett remains on the outside looking in.

That would be a total nightmare. After a decade of bengal level football, they will bet another
Decade of the same on 2 wins. If we win the superbowl, Give him a 5 year deal and it will have been earned. I am not rewarding him and risking the prime of YET another core of players just for one road playoff win.

Just listened to Ian. He does say the NFCCG “or further”. Hope that parts true.

Last edited: