Raphael Vela's Tidbits from his blog site

sago1

Reaction score
1. LB Ahmad Brooks failed drug test and will not be practicing this year with his Va team. Brooks can petition NFL to enter April draft or aply for supplmental draft this summer but neither option looks promising if he indeed failed drug test.
2. League sources told Vela CBA negotiations sputtering and FA will begin on March 3 as scheduled.
3. Vela was told by another mock draft writer that Jay Cutler will be picked by Raiders with their 6th overall if Raiders win coin toss. Miami also very interested in Cutler & willing part with a lot to get him, but Miami might not have that chance cause Jets believe Pennington is finished & might go after Cutler.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Not sure why the coin toss matters to the Raiders unless they think SF is going to trade down. They won't spend another top ten on a QB for a while.

ravidubey

Reaction score
How many players hyped-up at the last second-- especially QB's, ever turn out to be players? Cutler has a cannon, but I wonder how much of this hype has come from "draft coach"'s PR machine (didn't Vandy lose six in a row)? I mean, where was the success in college? He passes alot, but he also throws a ton of picks. He has Akili Smith written all over him.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Cutler may move to the Saints at #2 pick after the combine workouts.......he's stock is going to really move like Goggle on the stock market!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Cutler may move to the Saints at #2 pick after the combine workouts.......he's stock is going to really move like Goggle on the stock market!
His stock is tied to how high Matt and Vince go because he is a clear 3rd at QB with no 4th for a while. Can he pass either guy of the top 2 QBs? I seriously doubt it.

He just didn't have the college lineage or wins to warrant passing two Heisman type players who won national championships.

He also just looked solid in Mobile and was actually downgraded by some after the practices and game.