Rashad Jones?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
He seems like the type of Safety the Cowboys are want to add to the roster. He is a Strong Safety that had 3 INTs in 2018.

The problem is that his contract is way to big. He is scheduled to make 13M in 2019.

It will be interesting to see if the Dolphins cut him. At that point he past contract is irrelevant.
Yep, one of the best SS's in the league.

That's all we looked at in free agency. If he becomes available, he should excite everyone as much as Earl Thomas did. He's that nice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, so they would cut him then, but the cut would take effect on June 1?

If a team makes a player a designated June 1st cut on March 29th, then:
  • The player is immediately an unrestricted free agent.
  • The team's cap calculation from March 29 to June 1st is the same as if they had cut the player without a June 1st designation.
  • On June 1st, the team's cap calculation changes such that it is the same as if they had cut the player on June 1st.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, one of the best SS's in the league.

That's all we looked at in free agency. If he becomes available, he should excite everyone as much as Earl Thomas did. He's that nice.

It sounds like he will be more expensive than what the Cowboys will pay.

He is 31 which makes it possible his price will be somewhat reasonable; although, the Cowboys had made a point of not give multi-year contracts to older players.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys should draft a safety anyway and have George Iloka around as a Plan B. I'm not really sold on taking Reshad Jones.

A part of me still wants them to take a gamble on Eric Berry. If Dallas hits they get an All-Pro. If they miss he's gone in 2020 and they have Iloka and a rookie to fall back on.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Over the cap shows post june 1 cut as having 17 million in dead money with a big 100,000 in cap savings. That means he is a dolphin unless traded.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the cap shows post june 1 cut as having 17 million in dead money with a big 100,000 in cap savings. That means he is a dolphin unless traded.

His 2019 salary is guaranteed (13M).

It became guaranteed when he was on the roster March 3rd of this year.

They obviously were not planning to cut him.

Verdict

Reaction score
If a team makes a player a designated June 1st cut on March 29th, then:
  • The player is immediately an unrestricted free agent.
  • The team's cap calculation from March 29 to June 1st is the same as if they had cut the player without a June 1st designation.
  • On June 1st, the team's cap calculation changes such that it is the same as if they had cut the player on June 1st.

Is there a limit on how many players can be designated as June 1 cuts that are cut earlier?

John813

Reaction score
They should of suspended him after he benched himself after getting into a pissyfit when he got subbed out for a play. Jets game iirc.

Maybe could of started the process of voiding his guarantees.

Mike Tannebaum made me glad we have Jerry as our GM . Complete buffoon who ruined the Jets and dolphins with terrible contracts

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The Cowboys should draft a safety anyway and have George Iloka around as a Plan B. I'm not really sold on taking Reshad Jones.

A part of me still wants them to take a gamble on Eric Berry. If Dallas hits they get an All-Pro. If they miss he's gone in 2020 and they have Iloka and a rookie to fall back on.
So you're fine with Iloka as a plan B. And want them to gamble on Berry, who's played 3 games in the last two seasons.

But say no to Reshad Jones, who was a pro bowler just two seasons ago and is a better box safety than both of them?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're fine with Iloka as a plan B. And want them to gamble on Berry, who's played 3 games in the last two seasons.

But say no to Reshad Jones, who was a pro bowler just two seasons ago and is a better box safety than both of them?

Fans like big name players.

Jones is not that well known to average fans.

He.would likely be too expensive for the Cowboys anyway.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

The way I understand it, Reshad Jones would cost $13 million because the only way Miami is free of his cap hit is to trade him away.

Iloka is a solid starter and he's here for about $1 million. And any gamble on Berry would be heavy on incentives and light on guarantees. After signing Robert Quinn the Cowboys are down to about $9 million of cap space.