Rashard Lee may get start

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
according to ESPN...I wonder how many ludicrous posts we'll see that Lee is better than Julius Jones if he has some miracle game and gets 100 yds for GB tomorrow :rolleyes:

Packers could start fourth RB in as many gamesBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive

Between the time Ahman Green arrived in a 2000 trade and the end of the 2004 season, the Green Bay Packers used only three other starting tailbacks for a total of just eight games.

On Sunday, with injuries having decimated the depth chart, Green Bay could have its fourth different starting tailback in the lineup in four weeks, when the struggling Packers face the Pittsburgh Steelers at Lambeau Field.

The latest starter, by default, could be second-year running back ReShard Lee. He was unemployed until three weeks ago, when the Packers signed him after a spate of injuries at the position. A veteran of only 17 appearances, Lee will get his first regular-season start if Tony Fisher, who missed practice on Friday because of a "rib contusion," is unable to play.

Green, who started the first four games of the season, is on injured reserve with a torn thigh tendon. His primary backup, the highly regarded Najeh Davenport, is also out for the season with a broken ankle.

How dicey is the Packers' backfield situation? Lee, who played for the Dallas Cowboys in 2004 and was in the Buffalo Bills' camp this summer, is one of three tailbacks on the depth chart who were not on the Green Bay roster at the outset of the season.

The three -- Lee, Walt Williams and Sam Gado -- have combined for 42 career carries, 189 yards and one touchdown. The trio has an aggregate nine rushes for 19 yards in '05. Gado spent most of last season on the Packers' practice squad. Williams has bounced around the NFL since 2001 but has only six career carries.

"It's all about opportunities, taking advantage of your chances, and this could be one of those times," said Lee, who has eight rushes for 11 yards this season, and who was sitting at home and hoping for the phone to ring after the Bills released him. "You do what you've got to do."

The late-week addition of Fisher to the injury report, he is listed as "questionable," was the latest setback for a Green Bay offense ravaged by injuries, especially at the skill positions. The four-year veteran, who started in last week's game at Cincinnati, got through that contest, then complained this week of pain in the area of his shoulder blade. He underwent an MRI exam on Friday and, while the results were not available, the club reported a rib injury.

Fisher insisted he will play, citing the Packers' dire circumstances, but then hedged a bit.

"I might have to listen to the doctor's advice, because with certain rib injuries and what-not, you don't want to risk a punctured lung or anything like that," Fisher said. "But that's probably the worst-case scenario."

At the beginning of the season, coach Mike Sherman probably could not have envisioned a worse scenario at tailback than the one confronting his team. The Packers opened the year with one of the NFL's deepest and most talented tailback depth charts, led by Green, who had not missed more than two starts since 2000, his first season with the Packers, after being acquired from Seattle in a trade.

Compounding the tailback situation for the Packers, as they look down the road, is the fact that Green, Davenport and Fisher are all eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2005 season.

Len Pasquarelli

rexrobinson

Reaction score
I always liked Rashard Lee, not better than JJ, but I thought that BP had something personal against him. I dont make it a habbit of second guessing BP, but Lee had talent and BP still didnt let him play. There had to be more to the story than just "bad at picking up the blitz"

I hope Rashard does well tomorrow.

lspain1

Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
but Lee had talent and BP still didnt let him play.

So rex, with all this talent why did the Bill's cut him and the Packers are only starting him after 3 other TB's went down?

Hey, I only wanta know :rolleyes:

Maybe they could use A-Train! :cool:

Eskimo

Reaction score
Lee had some talent with the ball in his hands and was not a troublemaker here at all. I wish him well.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
I always liked Rashard Lee, not better than JJ, but I thought that BP had something personal against him. I dont make it a habbit of second guessing BP, but Lee had talent and BP still didnt let him play. There had to be more to the story than just "bad at picking up the blitz"

you know i neve get these posts, because if lee was such a great talent, then why did buffalo cut him, and green bay plays him only because every single RB on the roster is hurt. He may have some talent, but you know it's skill that makes you a football player in this league, and obsiouly he doesnt havent enough to be starting.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Considering the shape of GBs offensive line it would be pretty impressive if he rushed for 100 yards.

gbrittain

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
you know i neve get these posts, because if lee was such a great talent, then why did buffalo cut him, and green bay plays him only because every single RB on the roster is hurt. He may have some talent, but you know it's skill that makes you a football player in this league, and obsiouly he doesnt havent enough to be starting.

Well, based on the same logic that you are using ask yourself this question.

Where is the guy that Reshard sat on the bench for? Eddie George. Out of the league.

ghst187

Reaction score
rexrobinson said:

Likewise!
The biggest reason I liked Lee was returning kickoffs.
although it seems that we got a photocopy of Lee in Tyson Thompson.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Pack start their 4th string RB.

Yep, Favre is the problem in GB. Washed up.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
well as usual you cant say something nice about a player without some retards here dicing every angle they can get...and putting words into my mouth.

I wished the guy well and some the cynics come out of the dark shady areas....LOL

montgod

Reaction score
Actually....Gado looks pretty good considering. R. Lee...the writing on the wall for his career after this.

lspain1

Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
I wished the guy well and some the cynics come out of the dark shady areas....LOL

Rex, tsk tsk tsk.....you said in your first post.....Lee had talent and BP still didn't let him play

That's the comment that brought 'us cynics out of the dark shady areas'

So let me put it bluntly...Lee is not talented enough to start in the NFL (except some special teams kind of things). For you, I prescribe therapy...a shady spot, lots of iced tea, attention from your girlfriend, etc. :)