Rattay to TB

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Interesting. Says a lot about what they think of Smith I guess.

Dallas31

Reaction score
Bucs trade for QB help
Story Tools: Print Email XML
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 10 minutes ago

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have found another quarterback to bolster the position in light of what appears to be a season-ending injury to Brian Griese.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Buccaneers have traded a conditional draft pick to the 49ers in exchange for their former starting quarterback, Tim Rattay.
Rattay lost his job two weeks ago after an unspectacular start to the season that saw him garner the 27th-ranked passer rating among starting quarterbacks. Rattay's performance convinced the 49ers to make No. 1 overall draft pick Alex Smith the team's starting quarterback, a move that made Rattay expendable.

The Bucs fear that Griese will be lost for the year. Initial reports out of Tampa suggest that the quarterback suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Sunday's game with Miami.

Rattay joins a quarterback unit that includes Chris Simms, son of former Giants great Phil Simms, and second-year player Luke McCown.

Simms saw his first action of the season Sunday after Griese was injured, completing 6 of 10 passes for 69 yards.

Tampa Bay has a bye this week, and it comes at a good time. The Bucs also have several other players nursing injuries, including rookie running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. Williams has missed the past two games because of a sprained left foot.

Kilyin

Reaction score
If Chris Simms last name was Smith he'd be working at WalMart.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Wow. This doesn't necessarily mean he starts over Simms though. TB needed to get another QB either way.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Wow. This doesn't necessarily mean he starts over Simms though. TB needed to get another QB either way.

And Gruden collects QBs like Parcells collects LBers.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
TheHustler said:

Rattay / Simms at QB = Jose Cortez at Kicker

Close your eyes and pray for the best :nolook:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JuJones21 said:
I would think they'd give Simms a shot. I'm a little bit disappointed by this news

Simms is not an NFL QB.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Simms is an NFL QB - has been for a few years now. Did he ever play against Buffalo? Sarge, Curious.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JuJones21 said:
I would think they'd give Simms a shot. I'm a little bit disappointed by this news

been 3yrs now, they still dont like him

some folks just think the gy is God or something...memo to you guys, Simms was a lousy QB at Texas, and he's a lousy QB today

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheHustler said:

word is they're spending the two weeks they have to get Rattay ready to strt

David

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
People think I'm crazy for saying this but I still like Rattay. Of course he has had some bad games but he played on a team with virtually no supporting cast. I think he has the potential to be a very good QB. I think this was an excellent pick up for the Bucs.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
word is they're spending the two weeks they have to get Rattay ready to strt

David

Seriously? Damn, if that is true then they hate Simms. I thought Simms would definitly start and Rattay was jus insurance in case Simms bombs. Rotowire made it sound this way too.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Interesting. Says a lot about what they think of Smith I guess.

Not really. Smith is their future; that's why they selected him first overall. It was just a matter of time before he was annointed the starter. The only suprising thing is how early they made him the starter. I assumed they were going to at least wait a year. I suppose they figured they could get something for Rattay in the meanwhile since he has value.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
If Chris Simms last name was Smith he'd be working at WalMart.

Exactly, I still don't understand how some of you think Simms has a lot of potential. He has been hyped since high school. Even in college, he was named a preseason pick for the Heisman despite failing to accomplish anything to justify that honor. They just assumed he would post great stats because he played on Texas which boasted a Hall of Fame supporting cast. It's funny to see how hype remains with certain players regardless of what little they accomplish.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Not really. Smith is their future; that's why they selected him first overall. It was just a matter of time before he was annointed the starter. The only suprising thing is how early they made him the starter. I assumed they were going to at least wait a year. I suppose they figured they could get something for Rattay in the meanwhile since he has value.

Smith started last week and was horrible...threw 4 picks and had a fumble, managed o get a fg on the board

David