WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Inside The Ravens With Aaron Wilson
Back to current article

Ravens: 'We had better handle business' ~ December 16, 2008

Ravens need to win final two games to be assured of holding onto sixth playoff berth
aaron112.jpg

By Aaron Wilson
( awilson@profootball24x7.com )

OWINGS MILLS -- Reeling from the heavy frustration and disappointment of a bitter loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night that cost them a shot at the AFC North title, the Baltimore Ravens have zero time or plans to lament their problems.

The Ravens (9-5) still have a solid grip on making the playoffs, and will definitely earn a place in the postseason if they are able to win their final two regular-season games. They current hold the sixth and final AFC playoff spot, which is the second wild-card berth, and would play the New York Jets in the first round of the playoffs if the season ended today.

In the aftermath of a 13-9 loss to the Steelers triggered by officials controversially awarding Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes a game-winning touchdown catch following an instant-replay review after overruling an initial call that he didn't score, the Ravens need to defeat the Dallas Cowboys (9-5) in the final game at Texas Stadium and the Jacksonville Jaguars (5-9) at home to conclude the regular season.

"Yes, we really wanted to win this one bad, but you can't hold onto this one too long," linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "We've got two games for the rest of our season. We win out, we're in the playoffs. We don't, it's not looking good. So, we had better handle business."

That business begins with putting aside a stinging loss to a division rival and preparing for an extremely difficult road game against a Dallas team laden with stars in quarterback Tony Romo, wide receiver Terrell Owens and outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware.

After registering the worst statistical game of his career with a 22.2 passer rating, a 39.3 completion percentage and 115 passing yards, rookie quarterback Joe Flacco returned to work at the Ravens' training complex by 9:30 a.m. Monday to watch the film of the Pittsburgh game and begin studying the Cowboys.

"We're a resilient football team, we really are," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "That's indicative of where our football team is. Our guys have moved on. You take the emotions and throw them away. You learn from the corrections and let’s go forward. It's next game up in the NFL."

There's ample evidence of the Ravens' ability to recover from a setback.

Following a string of three consecutive losses to the Steelers, the Tennessee Titans and the Indianapolis Colts earlier this season, Baltimore went on a four-game winning streak that included three road victories.

After a 30-10 beating against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, the Ravens won three games in a row by a combined margin of 94-20.

"You have to be mature about it," offensive tackle Willie Anderson said. "You have to be a man about it."

Especially with the uncertain playoff outlook that would be created if the Ravens don't win their final two games to finish 11-5 overall with an 8-4 AFC conference record.

The Ravens have an identical record to three AFC East contenders: the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots. Baltimore would get the playoff berth over the Dolphins if the teams both finish 11-5 by virtue of a 27-13 head-to-head win and would edge the Patriots because of a superior conference record.

Meanwhile, the Jets can clinch the division and not be involved in the wild-card tiebreaking procedures by winning their last two games.

"One of the things I'm going to tell my young guys is, is that we have to keep going," middle linebacker Ray Lewis said. "There's two more games left, we can go in 11-5. You deal with what you deal with. The bottom line is your motivation cannot change. You take a loss just like you take a win: strap it up, short week, let's go to Dallas."

Losing to the Cowboys wouldn't eliminate the Ravens from contention, but it would mean they would require assistance to still make the postseason.

"We're going to go there ready to play," Flacco said. "We've got two games left to get some wins and prove that we're a playoff team, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

While the Ravens have demonstrated an ability to rebound from losses, there's also doubt raised about their ability to finish games against quality opponents.

They are 2-5 against teams with winning records, falling to the Steelers 23-20 in overtime after squandering a 13-3 halftime lead, losing 13-10 to Tennessee after being outscored 10-0 in the fourth quarter and losing again to Pittsburgh while being outscored 10-0 in the fourth quarter.

For the season, Baltimore has outscored opponents 98-43 in the fourth quarter.

"In that situation in crunch time, most of the season we've been really good," Harbaugh said. "Offensively, we've been able to put teams away with drives and points at the end. And, defensively, we've been able to stop people. You have to win in crunch time, and that's something we're going to have to do this week to win.

"[Sunday] was just one of those games that at some point in time we are going to have the capability to win. And it better be sooner rather than later because we're playing one of those games again Saturday night."

Aaron Wilson covers the Baltimore Ravens for the Carroll County Times and the Annapolis Capital.

Photo by Sabina Moran

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_view.php?cid=33&id=3067&view=archive

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
They can talk about handling business all they want. They aren't winning this game. It is the last game in Texas Stadium. The Cowboys need it just as badly as the Ravens do and the Cowboys are just simply a better football team right now.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Dallas needs this too much. I expect to see one of the most fired up, and focused, teams we've seen in a Cowboys uniform, ever.

thisisepic

One and Done
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2499390 said:
Dallas needs this too much. I expect to see one of the most fired up, and focused, teams we've seen in a Cowboys uniform, ever.
'

I hope you're right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would love to see Dallas just run away with this game but I'm expecting another low scoring hard hitting game. I think if Dallas can avoid the big mistake we can come away with the win.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2499390 said:
Dallas needs this too much. I expect to see one of the most fired up, and focused [strike]teams[/strike] crowds we've seen in [strike]a Cowboys uniform[/strike] Texas Stadium, ever.

This, too.

Boysboy

Reaction score
They didn't say anything to give BB material, but Wow, the Ravens love to talk.

"We had better handle business"? They're not exactly playing the Brownies nor Bungals.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2499401 said:
I would love to see Dallas just run away with this game but I'm expecting another low scoring hard hitting game. I think if Dallas can avoid the big mistake we can come away with the win.

stay as far away as they can from Reed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2499413 said:
stay as far away as they can from Reed.

I would not go out of my way to challenge him on the other hand I would not go out of my way to avoid him. We have to run our offense

Smith22

Reaction score
The Ravens are most likely done when they lose this game. Miami and the Jets have much easier games this week.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Smith22;2499525 said:
The Ravens are most likely done when they lose this game. Miami and the Jets have much easier games this week.

Remember last year after they had that heart-breaking loss to the Pats where the refs robbed them(and, of course, Rex Ryan called that bone-headed TO when they had them stopped on 4th down). The week after, they responded poorly as Indy gave them an old-fashioned butt-whooping.

It'll be interesting how they'll respond on Sat after losing similarly to the Steelers-of course, John Harbaugh >>> Brian Billick.

Smith22

Reaction score
The key is similar to our game against the Steelers, NO TURNOVERS against that defense. Don't turn over the ball and I have faith that our defense can dominate the Ravens offense.

Smith22

Reaction score
Boysboy;2499536 said:
Remember last year after they had that heart-breaking loss to the Pats where the refs robbed them(and, of course, Rex Ryan called that bone-headed TO when they had them stopped on 4th down). The week after, they responded poorly as Indy gave them an old-fashioned butt-whooping.

It'll be interesting how they'll respond on Sat after losing similarly to the Steelers-of course, John Harbaugh >>> Brian Billick.

The Ravens are very similar to us in that they have had some really tough losses. They easily could've beaten the Steelers twice this year, and they should have won against the Titans. They dominated that Titans game for the most part.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Smith22;2499550 said:
The Ravens are very similar to us in that they have had some really tough losses. They easily could've beaten the Steelers twice this year, and they should have won against the Titans. They dominated that Titans game for the most part.

With all the flack Wade gets for playing prevent in critical parts of the game, Rex Ryan also has a knack for doing that(like he did against the Steelers last week).

I guess the Ravens should fire Ryan as well?:rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
We might be playing this team at the best time. We are stopping the run really well and that is their bread and butter. The emotion in the stadium will once again help this defense for 4 qtrs as it has all year.

Ware is going to have a tough time sacking flacco, I cant imagine he throws the ball more than 18 times or so in this game and I bet alot of it will be quick stuff.

and on the flip side, I think we are going to have a miserable game offensively, they have the guys to clog up the middle of the field and take witten away and reed takes care of most of the deep stuff.

So that means we have to find a way to run the ball and hit some intermediate stuff outside the numbers on the sidelines.

It seems like a game where the first one to 13 might have enough.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2499401 said:

We have played two of the best defenses back to back... should have had two wins and attacked each defense pretty well.

I see a win over Baltimore.

It really comes down to "who wants it more"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2499675 said:
We have played two of the best defenses back to back... should have had two wins and attacked each defense pretty well.

I see a win over Baltimore.

It really comes down to "who wants it more"

I expect Dallas to go out and win, I don't think it will be easy or a blowout. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the Ravens are not a good team with an outstanding defence. I think this is going to be a hard fought game and I doubt there will be many points put up in the game.

robjgrif

Reaction score
Well Dallas best not start getting soft. Baltimore will show up ready to handle their business for sure. We know what this game means to us.