RB by committee rotation

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Okay... Feels like we're getting through Training Camp...

Three Sundays away from a Week 1 Victory, right?!!

:thumbup:

I'm finally getting excited! Usually I'm excited by July...
But things have been picking up lately. The cards are being dealt and hands are starting to being shown.

Anyway, I want to talk about the RB position. I'll skip over everything we all know but now that I'm getting a closer look at the RBs and how they fit, I am curious about your predictions on who will be getting ~ what percentage of carries throughout the season.

I think opponents' Defensive fronts could determine what kind of running style we want to implement primarily and situationally but you always want a change of pace and the way I see it we have that. Quality is questionable but we have different kinds of guys.

While I think most of us believe Rico Dowdle deserves the bulk of the carries I have a nagging suspicion the FO will try to justify the reunion with Zeke and make him RB1 at least to start the season. My prediction for the first game is a near 50/50 split with no other backs getting many looks.

From there, it's all about who can get those +5 yard carries with another back being more complimentary, maybe around 30% of the snaps.

There is one more dude.
Someone a lot of people think is "too small" to play a large role in an offense or even be on an NFL roster.

Enter, Christopher Vaughn Jr.

We still have one PS game to go and that should mean more chances for Deuce Vaughn to prove his worth. He showcased his vision and maneuverability in spades on his 5 carries against LV and honestly, I think he might be the best back on this roster, throwing no shade at Rico... and Zeke, I suppose.

After watching his college reel last year I was sold on this kid making waves in the NFL. Though he's only 5'5½ he's 180 lbs, which makes him pretty damn compact.

Dude is on the team imo. There's not a lot of available guys who can see the tiny hole, be narrow and short enough to fit through it then break someone's ankle on a cutback.

Deuce the Juice

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hopefully, we’ll have a running game against Cleveland and hopefully we can stop the run. The last time we played the Browns they rushed for over 300 yards. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the teams we play this season take the ball if they win the toss. Do what Green Bay did in the playoffs drive the ball on their opening possession and put it in the endzone. That’s how we got blown out in several games last season.

plasticman

Reaction score
Zeke is RB1. Rico takes Pollard's role. Like Pollard, he could never withstand the physical demands of being an RB1 in the NFL.

RB's like Rico and Vaughn, will have their moments at certain points in the game but when it comes to grinding it out and things get down and dirty, they are not built for that.

Rico will get his carries as RB2. Deuce will continue to be in a special role for 3-4 plays a game depending on how he trends in productivity. However, he does have training camp competition. He has to make the team first.

Zeke will be an unspectacular RB1 that absorbs the initial physicality but will be very useful around the goal line. I say this with absolutely no malicious intent.

It would be a very welcomed phenomenon if Zeke were to have a "show the world" resurgence in 2024. Most would translate that as "miracle".

starfan1

Reaction score
Ya I think if the blocking is there any one of the backs can be successful even Mighty Mouse

I don’t share your enthusiasm about him but I’d love to be wrong

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Zeke is a slower version of Freeman. I hate that he's even on the team, we know exactly what he is. At least with the other guys we have some what of an unknown.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Zeke is a slower version of Freeman. I hate that he's even on the team, we know exactly what he is. At least with the other guys we have some what of an unknown.
Zeke was a poor attempt by GM Jetbro to appease some of the fans.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Rico should get like 75 percent of the touches. Zeke should get short yardage work.

Deuce should touch the ball 3-4 times a game