RB-Chauncey Washington (USC) runs 4.32

JaiRiid

Reaction score
from Yahoo Sports... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-uscproday040308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Running back Chauncey Washington, used throughout much of his career as a power back due to his muscular 6-foot, 211-pound frame, turned in the surprise performance of the day when he registered a pair of sub-4.4 40s. Stunned scouts immediately began comparing stop-watches, with times ranging from 4.32 to 4.39. Washington, though invited, had elected not to run at the combine. He had widely been estimated by scouts to have marginal speed. In compiling impressive results in the vertical jump (36 inches), broad jump (9’11”) and bench press (18), Washington proved his athleticism is legitimate and not just speed-driven.

“Washington helped himself (Wednesday),” Thompson said. “He was prepared. He ran well. He looked good in positional drills. Caught the ball well.”

All that being said, there must be some reason he was never a feature back at USC. I love me some MBIII, but if anything happens to him, this guy could be a sleeper pick for a power RB.

Other info about him...

Scouting Report
THE GOOD: Has a powerful slashing style with the ability to run through tacklers and get the most out of each attempt. He is a powerfully built, compact runner with thick legs and strong frame that allows him to take on defenders and finish his runs well.
THE BAD: He shared time at USC and never was a true feature back. He lacks elite speed, which limits his big-play ability. He is an underdeveloped receiver.
OUTLOOK: He has definite pro potential and could be one of the sleepers in this deep class of runners because of his ability to effectively run inside and outside. He has the makings of a good pro runner and has intriguing potential if he can develop as a receiver and blocker - and answer the durability questions. His just-adequate speed will force him to the late rounds, where he could be one of the best bargains in the draft.

StarHead69

Reaction score
I noticed this kids numbers from the USC pro day article a few days ago. He put up some eye-popping 40-times. He seems like a project who could handle the #3RB spot and offer some good upside down the road. I can't remember seeing him play, so someone who has watched a few USC games thinks he brings anything to the table is welcome to give us a breakdown.
-----------------------------------------------
BTW I have been thinking about the possibility of trading #22 & #28 to the Lions for Roy Williams and their #15. That actually would about be the same value (a little better points wise) for them as if we traded our 2nd for Roy W.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind him as a 3rd back based on this info, but I've never seen him play. If he's got power and that kind of speed, that's a pretty good combo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've watched USC a lot. Chauncy is not a bad back at all IMO. The problem with a back going to USC is that unless you are an all world type RB, your never going to get your carries. Last year, SC had no less then 11 RBs on the roster, and that doesn't include FBs. Between Stefon Johnson, Joe Mcknight and Washington, there just are not enough carries to go around. 06 was the same way. Gable, Moody and Washington all shared carries. Prior to that, you had Bush and White so you know there isn't any room to carry the rock.

Of the two seasons that Washington played, he lead the team in Yards and carries. It's hard to evaluate players from SC IMO. They are so good, everywhere, that you don't know if it's the offense that is driving production or the player and his skills.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe being named Chauncey hurt his playing time.;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2027682 said:
Maybe being named Chauncey hurt his playing time.;)

I don't know, anything is possible. This guy has had trouble staying on the field and I think he might be coming off a knee injury but I can't remember.
Here are all his Pro Day numbers.

Ht. 5-11 1/4
Wt. 215 lbs.
40 time 4.45
20 time 2.53
10 time 1.51
225 Bench 18 Reps
Vert. 36
Broad Jump 9'11"
20 Shuttle 4.58
3-Cone 7.53

MCowboys

Reaction score
He didn't produce all that much or break too many big runs for a "power back" with 4.3 speed.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027936 said:
straight-line runner, his shuttle is horrible as is his 3-cone

So you've been watching a lot of Chauncey I take it?

DaBoys4Life;2027964 said:
i never even heard of this guy be4 and he plays for USC he aint nothin pass

And you know about every other player in the draft, I'm sure.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2027983 said:
So you've been watching a lot of Chauncey I take it?

very little, so...

NFLDraftScout

Negatives:

Lacks the speed to be an effective outside runner. Isn't going to make many defenders miss in the open field due to marginal agility and acceleration

so by watching tapes, they've deducted that Chauncey doesn't run nearly as fast as his 40, and isn't very agile or explosive, so again, straight-line runner

the only backs I've watched enough of to make good enough evals are Cory Boyd, Thomas Brown and Tony Temple, so I rely on the scouts for the rest

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027991 said:
very little, so...

NFLDraftScout

Negatives:

Lacks the speed to be an effective outside runner. Isn't going to make many defenders miss in the open field due to marginal agility and acceleration

so by watching tapes, they've deducted that Chauncey doesn't run nearly as fast as his 40, and isn't very agile or explosive, so again, straight-line runner

the only backs I've watched enough of to make good enough evals are Cory Boyd, Thomas Brown and Tony Temple, so I rely on the scouts for the rest

Well Scott Wright says:

Strengths:
Has excellent size and good bulk...A good athlete...Hits the hole hard...More quick than fast but has a little wiggle...Tough, physical runner who will break tackles...A good inside runner...Has nimble feet...Decent hands..Might still have some upside.

Weaknesses:
Playing speed's below average..Intelligence is a question mark..Not real explosive or a big play threat...Vision and instincts are lackluster...Has limited experience as a pass catcher...Poor awareness and isn't a good blocker...Durability is a concern.

I'd say that's enough to spend a late pick on a guy, not like we're talking 3rd round here.

Off all his weaknesses, I'd say the blocking is the thing to be most worried about.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2028011 said:
Well Scott Wright says:

Strengths:
Has excellent size and good bulk...A good athlete...Hits the hole hard...More quick than fast but has a little wiggle...Tough, physical runner who will break tackles...A good inside runner...Has nimble feet...Decent hands..Might still have some upside.

Weaknesses:
Playing speed's below average..Intelligence is a question mark..Not real explosive or a big play threat...Vision and instincts are lackluster...Has limited experience as a pass catcher...Poor awareness and isn't a good blocker...Durability is a concern.

I'd say that's enough to spend a late pick on a guy, not like we're talking 3rd round here.

Off all his weaknesses, I'd say the blocking is the thing to be most worried about.

I'm just pointing out that he's a straight-line runner

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i just dont understand why a 5 star prospect would go to USC, knowing they have like 6-7 other 5 star prospects at that same position. Why not go to another school and get the carries, the playing time, the exposure, and the potential to be the big man on campus.

JustinTheDestructor

Reaction score
Biggems;2028087 said:
i just dont understand why a 5 star prospect would go to USC, knowing they have like 6-7 other 5 star prospects at that same position. Why not go to another school and get the carries, the playing time, the exposure, and the potential to be the big man on campus.

Because you'd be going to USC. Great place to chase the muff around.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
JustinTheDestructor;2028205 said:
Because you'd be going to USC. Great place to chase the muff around.

better muff at UCLA and Arizona

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2027983 said:
And you know about every other player in the draft, I'm sure.

No its not that its the fact that he went to a big time school with a lot of exposure i've watched their games and still has never heard of this guy before that tells me he is average joe and isn't going to be much at the next level.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have generally considered Chauncy Washington to be one of the 8-10 backs that will make someone's team this year and..sooner or later...make some sort of contribution.
Folks, this is a deep RB class. I'm not sure (or is anyone) that there are any superstars, but there are plenty that will eventually help someone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2027936 said:
straight-line runner, his shuttle is horrible as is his 3-cone

Good point. Could that have been due to coming off knee surgery?