Re watched Dallas VS Broncos SB 12

Hayseed

Reaction score
Randy White, one of my top few Cowboys of all time. That dude was a one man wrecking crew. I remember the story about a game in Philly that was especially brutal one year. Randys mom and brother were in the stands and being hastled by several eagle fans. Randys brother ends up going full manster on one of the fans while Randys mother pulls out a blackjack from her purse and gets a few licks in too! Apple doesnt fall far from the ole tree...LOL

NickZepp

Reaction score
Randy White at 260 was as undersized at DT as Donald is now at 280

the averages have gone up on the OL and interior DL
but the rest has not changed much

for example

Butkus 6' 3" 245 MLB
Lanier was 6'1" 245 MLB
Jack Lambert was "lanky" at 6'4" 220 and would start at any LB position on any team ever

BTW. Bobby Wagner is 6'0" 240
There are way more 300 lb guys now. But other than that I think the speed back the in the interior was probably better and just as strong. The big difference is the coverage is nearly impossible compared to being allowed to almost do anything in coverage back then. And of course you can't hit players like you could back then. That change actually started in the 80s when hits to the head were starting to get called. The only real difference in the defensive line is that ends are way more important now. Not that they weren't important back then but you could cover people for like 8 seconds most times back then you really can't anymore so getting to a QB in 5 seconds or less is vital today.