RE-Yetur Gross-Matos-Penn State

Sydla

Reaction score
Chaisson is a high risk, high reward guy. This guy strikes me as a low risk, low reward type. In other words, he doesn't have the bust factor of Chaisson but he also doesn't have the high ceiling Chaisson does.

cowboyec

Reaction score
fan of the player.
love his size.
also really good v the run.
i'd be good with him as our pick...not popular...but i gotta be honest.

J-man

Reaction score
I live in central PA and am a huge PSU fan, let me give you my perspective on him.

Not super quick, but he has some speed, plenty of power to go with a good motor and some nice moves. He has all the physical tools to be a good DE in the NFL.
They played him inside a lot last season, not sure if that was because of a lack of good DT's or more because he was better suited as a 3 tech who could be a run stuffer that can put pressure from the inside in their system?

To me, in the NFL he's obviously not a 3 tech and actually more of a LDE compared to a RDE.
He's a good overall defender, good against the run and can make some sacks, but he will probably never be a 15+ sack guy.

I like YGM and think he's a solid DE that has the body and tools to possibly surprise and become a very good pass rushing LDE. But, I think he would be a big gamble and possible bust if your looking for a stud pass rusher that can consistently get the qb on the ground.

I would be disappointed if they took him at 17. He'll most likely be a late 1, early 2 pick, that probably should be more of a mid-late 2 pick IMHO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Another trade down guy very worth noting

Just off the top of my head and depending on how far the trade down goes (say 25-35 range)...a few names
Gross-Matos
Murray
Jefferson
Baun
Queen
Blacklock
Ruiz
Diggs?

morasp

Reaction score
Take your pick, he's tied with Baun as the third ranked edge rusher slotted right at 17 so they would be par value.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Chaisson is a high risk, high reward guy. This guy strikes me as a low risk, low reward type. In other words, he doesn't have the bust factor of Chaisson but he also doesn't have the high ceiling Chaisson does.

I think that's a pretty good way to look at it.

I have Baun as my 2nd best natural edge rusher...and then after them I don't see a ton of difference in Chaisson, Okwara and Gross Matos. I think Chaisson and Okwara give you a bit more upside with their burst and bend, but Gross Matos gives you and NFL ready frame with elite length and back to back quality years of production.

I'm a big fan of Okwara and really hope we give him a look.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think that's a pretty good way to look at it.

I have Baun as my 2nd best natural edge rusher...and then after them I don't see a ton of difference in Chaisson, Okwara and Gross Matos. I think Chaisson and Okwara give you a bit more upside with their burst and bend, but Gross Matos gives you and NFL ready frame with elite length and back to back quality years of production.

I'm a big fan of Okwara and really hope we give him a look.

I agree. I think Okwara gives you a bit more reward than Gross-Matos.Especially since his season was cut short--his last year story wasnt completely written yet

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree. I think Okwara gives you a bit more reward than Gross-Matos.Especially since his season was cut short--his last year story wasnt completely written yet

Im high on Okwara. I think people will be surprised at how early he’s drafted.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I like YGM, just not at #17.....rather trade back or have Greenard,Taylor or Okwara second day.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in central PA and am a huge PSU fan, let me give you my perspective on him.

Not super quick, but he has some speed, plenty of power to go with a good motor and some nice moves. He has all the physical tools to be a good DE in the NFL.
They played him inside a lot last season, not sure if that was because of a lack of good DT's or more because he was better suited as a 3 tech who could be a run stuffer that can put pressure from the inside in their system?

To me, in the NFL he's obviously not a 3 tech and actually more of a LDE compared to a RDE.
He's a good overall defender, good against the run and can make some sacks, but he will probably never be a 15+ sack guy.

I like YGM and think he's a solid DE that has the body and tools to possibly surprise and become a very good pass rushing LDE. But, I think he would be a big gamble and possible bust if your looking for a stud pass rusher that can consistently get the qb on the ground.

I would be disappointed if they took him at 17. He'll most likely be a late 1, early 2 pick, that probably should be more of a mid-late 2 pick IMHO.

That sounds like a draft report on Demarcus Lawrence...