TE--> Witten, Hannam

WR--> Glenn, Owens, Crayton

QB--> Bledsoe, Romo, Henson

New weak spots on the offense: Center, depth at WR

Defensive LIne--> Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Johnson, Ratliff, Ellis

LB--> Ware, Brady, Adele, Burnett

Secondary--> Newman, Henry, Glenn, Reeves, Williams, Davis

Weak Spots on Defense: FS (hopefully we sign Coleman), depth at LB

And of course, we have no kicker.....yet. (Josh Brown?)

We're not finished with FA yet, but the draft now sets up as it should, allowing us to take the best player available if someone drops to us at 18 because we aren't forced to fill a need....or if most of the guys at 18 are similar, we can trade down and secure another pick or two.

Things are definitely shaping up. What's the key finishing touch to FA?
Although I still have concerns about the center position, I think we'll look to secure a veteran FS who can cover and get to the ball. I think we may finish off the LB spot if Julian Peterson sets up for a smart deal.

I'd love to see us go WR in round 1....adding a talent like one of the top two WRs would be huge for the future of our team. I'm betting most are going to be surprised that we don't look LB in round 1.

J-DOG

Reaction score
After all the media goes gaga over signing TO and all that hype finally dies down we still have work to do to get back to the playoffs.
First off we need to solidy and add depth to the guard position.
Either we move Tucker back to guard or look tothe draft for that position. You could say the same at tackle also.
Outside lb is also a glaring need. I think the draft will add to this spot.
FS-this is the scary spot for me. Does Coleman have enough in his tank to be the guy at FS. I draft a FS even if we get a vet to fill that role. Because what happens if our vet goes down during the season??? We are back to Keith Davis and co.???No thank you.
Nose tackle-We have 1 true NT on the roster right now. I like Pepper but I am not comfortable having him start if Ferguson goes down. At least Glover was a seasoned pro who could play there even if he was playing out of position.
Kicker-This will be added to soon thru FA. Vinatieri signs here or goes back to Pats. Josh Brown would be a good choice also.
Wr-We need to get younger. God forbid but if TO goes down this team and offense is back to square 1. Right now at the 18th pick I see Wr as being one of the best values. I like Holmes but I like Chad Jackson better. Do not be fooled by Jackson's stats as a senior. They had a new offense and that directly affected his numbers.
We need to add depth at NT,lb,G,wr and get a FS. I'll get excited about this defense when I see a FS with cover range at Valley Ranch.

rickster14

Reaction score
I would look seriously into trading down to late R1 or early r2 and picking up another selection in r2 or r3. If we had 4 day 1 picks, this is where I would look:

OLB --- Carpenter, MClover (AU -- DE in college, late r3 4.6 speed)
WR --- Stovall, S.Green (LSU -- get PR, r3)
might wiat until day 2

OT --- McNeil, Justice, Scott
S -- Simpson, Bullocks

or possibly QB--- Whitehurst, Croyle, Olson

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Hopefully Jamaica Rector can step up and be that 4th WR who also gives us something as a PR/KR.

FS will be addressed in FA IMO. We definitely need to address OLB and NT in the draft.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'd love to see us go WR in round 1....adding a talent like one of the top two WRs would be huge for the future of our team. I'm betting most are going to be surprised that we don't look LB in round 1.

I'm with you here, and mainly because TO is here. A WR will be able to be blended into the game, especially with the attention focused elsewhere. A year or 2 of getting acclimated, then when the Terry Glenn and TO show have to move on, we'd be set.

visionary

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Offensive Line--> Adams, Kozier, (Johnson/Gurode), Rivera, Fabini

Pettitti, Tucker, Peterson, Colombo, etc fighting for spots

RB--> Polite, Jones, Barber, Thompson

TE--> Witten, Hannam

WR--> Glenn, Owens, Crayton

QB--> Bledsoe, Romo, Henson

Defensive LIne--> Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Johnson, Ratliff, Ellis

LB--> Ware, Brady, Adele, Burnett

Secondary--> Newman, Henry, Glenn, Reeves, Williams, Davis

Weak Spots on Defense: FS (hopefully we sign Coleman), depth at LB

And of course, we have no kicker.....yet. (Josh Brown?)

We're not finished with FA yet, but the draft now sets up as it should, allowing us to take the best player available if someone drops to us at 18 because we aren't forced to fill a need....or if most of the guys at 18 are similar, we can trade down and secure another pick or two.

Things are definitely shaping up. What's the key finishing touch to FA?
Although I still have concerns about the center position, I think we'll look to secure a veteran FS who can cover and get to the ball. I think we may finish off the LB spot if Julian Peterson sets up for a smart deal.

wayne, i think that nothing we have done to date changes the focus in the draft. i still see

round 1: OLB
round 2: OL (not sure if it will be C/OG/OT)
round 3: WR
round 4: FS
round 5: NT

we will sign K, FS, maybe FB
i hope we sign Neal (OG-NE)

just my 02 cents

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind signing Peterson to a two year deal with the second year optional. I'd also put some benchmarks in there to make the deal lucrative if he meets them. He's still productive. Don't forget, a lot of his "bad press" is coming from a coach that really didn't like him in the first place.

I wouldn't mind seeing J. Brown in here to kick. Anything is better than the circus we had last year.

Jackson is a beast and, IMHO, would be a steal with the 18th pick. But, I think he's moving up and someone will take him. I'm not sold on Holmes, though. I don't know why... just a hunch.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
visionary said:
wayne, i think that nothing we have done to date changes the focus in the draft. i still see

round 1: OLB
round 2: OL (not sure if it will be C/OG/OT)
round 3: WR
round 4: FS
round 5: NT

we will sign K, FS, maybe FB
i hope we sign Neal (OG-NE)

just my 02 cents

I would love to get Neal, too. He's got a nasty attitude, something this line has lacked since Grogan and E. Williams. If we could sign him to a 2-3 year deal similar to Fabini, we could be set for a while and give the young guys time to learn.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
I'm not sure I would call those weak spots "new" by any means. Unless I missed something we needed to upgrade those spots....for longer than I care to remember.

Manster68

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm betting most are going to be surprised that we don't look LB in round 1.

Ya know Wayne, I have a funny feeling that Jerry had to make a deal with Bill that if they signed POS Owens, Bill would be allowed to draft his linebacker.

Question is: CARPENTER or LAWSON?

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
Question is: CARPENTER or LAWSON?

I'm hoping they take Carpenter with that first pick and OG Lutui with the second...if he's still on the board, that is.

Woods

Reaction score
I think the spots we should upgrade in the draft include,

OLB - One more playmaker to complement Ware.
OT/G - Pref. an OT to groom behind Flo/Fabini (along with getting Petitti more experience)
FS - A player to groom (assuming we sign Coleman)
NT - player who can step into the rotation very early (i.e., Day 1)
WR - someone to groom for the next 1-2 years.

Hopefully in FA we still pick up a veteran FS (Coleman) and a Kicker.

If we get any other players in FA, that's just gravy, IMO.

If there was one other position we could upgrade along with FS and Kicker this year in FA, it would be a NT to replace Glover's position and to rotate with Fergy. However, I don't know if anyone decent is still available.

Anyway, to get the 5 positions in the draft I mentioned above, somewhere along the line we'll have to trade down and pick up a 4th rounder again.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Honestly with Glenn's age and the chance that Owens could only be here a year if the worst would happen, a WR in the first round would be welcomed by me. But I don't think we can go wrong with a T, NT, OLB, WR, or even FS if one deserves thes pot

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I believe Burnett is going to start at OLB this year unless we sign Peterson in FA...I don't see us drafting another DE project to switch to LB this year.

Are you going to sit Brady, Adele, Ware??? nope.

Why sit your 2nd round LB who is a true LB? The guy was backup to Ware last season...I expect him to play the opposite side this year.

I see no way we're going to draft LB again....There's a lot of hype, but frankly, I think A.J. Hawke is the only real star at that position this year.

Woods

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I believe Burnett is going to start at OLB this year unless we sign Peterson in FA...I don't see us drafting another DE project to switch to LB this year.

Why sit your 2nd round LB who is a true LB? The guy was backup to Ware last season...I expect him to play the opposite side this year.

I see no way we're going to draft LB again....There's a lot of hype, but frankly, I think A.J. Hawke is the only real star at that position this year.

I think the question with Burnett is his health. More specifically, can he stay healthy? If Burnett isn't 100% by the start of the season (and that means mentally as well), who plays the other OLB spot for us?

I think there are players like Carpenter, Wembley, and Lawson who would fit very nicely into the 3-4 for us.

I'd bet that we go OLB in the 1st round this year, after trading down (at least trying to trade down).

JonCJG

Reaction score
I agree 100 percent with Wayne Motely.

We should go with Chad Jackson at 18 and hope a good FS like Jason Allen or Ko Simpson is there at pick #49.

Then go best DT/OT at 80.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:

I think we may be in the position to draft the best available player representing a variety of positions now.