RealGM Mock Draft Version 1.0

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
RealGM Mock Draft Version 1.0
Authored by Jeff Risdon - 31st January, 2006 - 12:11 am

With the Senior Bowl now complete, it's easier to sort out the potential draftees and anticipate where they might go in the upcoming NFL Draft. While I wouldn't necessarily make these picks myself, this is how I see the draft flowing. This will likely change more than a few times between now and April, as the Indy scouting combine, individual and team workouts are still on tap. Veteran cap casualties and continued spinning of the coaching carousel will alter team needs as well. Last year I correctly nailed 22 of the 32 picks and was no further than 3 slots away with 5 other picks, not too shabby when compared to the highly-paid, well-coiffed "experts.

Without further ado, my 1st Mock 2006 NFL Draft

1. Houston Texans--Reggie Bush, RB, USC. Not what they need most, but most feel he's too good to pass up.

2. New Orleans Saints--Vince Young, QB, Texas. Taken as much for his
marketability as his excellent skills.

3. Tennessee Titans--Matt Leinart, QB, USC. Reunited with Norm Chow, who got him a Heisman and a national title.

4. NY Jets--D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia. The best tackle in the draft since Orlando Pace went #1 overall.

5. Green Bay Packers--Mario Williams, DE, NC State. The every-down pass rusher they sorely need.

6. Oakland Raiders--Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. Grades higher than Winslow Jr. and a great target to complement Moss.

7. San Francisco 49ers--DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis. Versatile back helps ease pressure from Alex Smith.

8. Buffalo Bills--Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon. Agile run stuffer replaces Pat Williams, albeit a year too late.

9. Detroit Lions--A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State. Embattled Millen ecstatic a player much like himself falls into his lap.

10. Arizona Cardinals--Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt. Stock rose with great Senior Bowl practices, not the game itself.

11. St. Louis Rams--Mike Huff, DB, Texas. Can play CB or SS, and the
Rams need upgrades at both.

12. Cleveland Browns--Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. Good fit for their 3-4 scheme with great closing speed.

13. Baltimore Ravens--LenDale White, RB, USC. Replaces Jamal Lewis and has better speed than Lewis too.

14. Philadelphia Eagles--Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State. Best WR to a team in desperate need for one.

15. Atlanta Falcons--Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn. A huge guy with surprising nimble mobility.

16. Miami Dolphins--Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia. Giant (6'7", 255) downfield playmaker with excellent hands.

17. Minnesota Vikings--Winston Justice, OT, USC. Steady technique guy plays smart and angry.

18. Dallas Cowboys--Jimmy Williams, CB, VA Tech. Makes lots of plays. Gives up a few too. Can also play S, a need position.

19. San Diego Chargers--Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State. Tweener lacks size and speed but makes lots of plays.

20. Kansas City Chiefs--Tye Hill, CB, Clemson. Best CB at Senior Bowl in coverage and a decent tackler.

21. New England Patriots--Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State. Smart cover corner with great closing speed and presence.

22. Denver Broncos (From WAS)--Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College. The edge pass rusher they desperately lack.

23. Tampa Bay Bucs--Charles Spencer, OL, Pittsburgh. Can play G or T, and a crushing run blocker at either spot.

24. Cincinnati Bengals--Dominique Byrd, TE, USC. Fills a huge need in both blocking and receiving.

25. New York Giants--Demeco Ryans, LB, Alabama. Great instinctive tackler falls here due to size and speed concerns

26. Chicago Bears--Chad Jackson, WR, Florida. Good at working underneath and can break the big play with his speed.

27. Carolina Panthers--Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota. Likely to lose both Davis and Foster, so RB a big need.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars--Cedric Griffin, CB, Oklahoma. Great hands and cover savvy, good nose for the ball.

29. Denver Broncos--Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami FL. Exciting playmaker with great hands and amazing speed.

30. Indianapolis Colts--Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State. Spirited hitter excels in coverage and disrupting blocks.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers--Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State. Active space eater with impressive strength.

32. Seattle Seahawks--Joseph Addai, RB, LSU. Good receiver with breakaway outside running ability.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Where's Winston Justice or Jon Scott. No way does McNeil go higher than those guys concedering he has back issues. Jimmy Williams is a great player, but we need a tackle, guard, and OLB much worse. No way would Dallas pass on Carpenter for Williams.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Where's Winston Justice or Jon Scott. No way does McNeil go higher than those guys concedering he has back issues. Jimmy Williams is a great player, but we need a tackle, guard, and OLB much worse. No way would Dallas pass on Carpenter for Williams.
Winston Justice is at #17 just ahead of us at 18.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
My how these things vary. I saw Jimmy Williams in the top 10 in a lot of the first group of mocks about a month ago. I think one even had him going at 5.

We need a FS, OT, and OLB in the first three rounds. I wouldn't have a problem with getting Jimmy Williams to be our starting FS depending on how the picks fall. It would depend on who else is sitting there on the board and where people are projecting. If the top OTs and OLBs are all gone (or all still there---that means we can get a quality one in the 2nd), I'd snatch our FS for the future up. I think we can get quality OT and OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. That all being said, Jimmy Williams is the only DB that I would take in the first round. If he is gone, we have to go OT or OLB and try to snag a FS in Round 3.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You do not take a first rd pick and change his position- outside of someone like Matt Jones who everyone knew was not going to be a QB. BP would never do that. FS is a different position then CB, there is a lot more difference there then many realize. You do not gamble your first rd pick on a move like that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
You do not take a first rd pick and change his position- outside of someone like Matt Jones who everyone knew was not going to be a QB. BP would never do that. FS is a different position then CB, there is a lot more difference there then many realize. You do not gamble your first rd pick on a move like that.
I wonder if he would want to be signed on as a Cornerback where he would make way more money than being signed on as a FS?

Plus, I can sort of see the logic if he were to become a nice FS, the Cowboys could blitz like no other with RW, because Williams could cover any receiver coming out of the back field one on one being a great corner.... I'm starting to weaken.

"I can here it now, the Williams's are shuting down the entire backfield."

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

What the hell are you babbling about?

Since you don't know, look here: http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=8&c=1&nid=2133708

He played CB last year, but he has played both... even though "FS is a different position..."

2003 - Virginia Tech:
Started all 13 games at free safety
... Led the defense in snaps played during the regular season with 702 ... Also played 153 snaps on special teams for a total of 855 total snaps ... Finished second on the team in tackles with 114 ... Had 63 solo stops and 51 assists ... Included in that total were four tackles for loss ... Also had five passes broken up, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries ... Registered seven solo tackles and five assists in the win over Texas A&M ... Scored his first collegiate touchdown at Rutgers, returning an interception 55 yards for a score ... Also had five solo tackles and two assists ... Played 83 snaps against No. 2 Miami, recording six solo tackles, six assists, two tackles for loss and a pass broken up ... Had four solo tackles, an assist and an interception on defense against Boston College ... Also recovered the ball on a muffed Eagle punt return ... Played 77 snaps on defense at Virginia, recording nine solo tackles and six assists ... Also had three solo tackles on special teams ... Posted nine tackles in the Insight Bowl, including one behind the line, and also broke up a pass ... Moved to cornerback prior to spring practice ... (Official Bio)

2001 - High School Football:
A versatile athlete who played quarterback, safety, wide receiver and outside linebacker during his prep career ... Played at Hampton High until transferring to Bethel prior to his senior season ... Was coached by Mike Smith at Hampton and Tracy Parker at Bethel ... Named All-Peninsula District as a junior and senior, earning first-team honors in 2001 ... Was in on over 100 tackles as a safety and OLB at Bethel ... Intercepted sev

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=8&c=1&nid=2133708

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Oh and another thing....

Here is another incident of people speaking as if they are BP and as if they know exactly what BP would do... when really all they are doing is stating their own opinion and trying to attribute it to BP in an attempt to make it authoritative.

burmafrd said:
You do not take a first rd pick and change his position- outside of someone like Matt Jones who everyone knew was not going to be a QB. BP would never do that.

Gee.... I remember a guy last year named DeMarcus Ware. A DE who was moved to OLB in a 3-4. What round was he drafted in? Who made that decision?

Now what were you saying about BP would "never" do?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He looks sort of like Roy Jones Jr. the boxer.. He can box up some receivers.... check it out.

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/position/CB/williams-j.html

Where do you start when it comes to an athlete like Jimmy Williams? He has all the physical tools when it comes to playing football, but it’s his versatility that might be his best attribute. He really can, and has, played just about everywhere in the defensive backfield, with the exception of linebacker, and I’m not so sure he couldn’t fill in there if he had to. Jimmy is great at reading routes and getting a jump on the ball. An excellent tackler, he fills in very well on the run. A rarity with cornerbacks who usually are great at arm tackling, Jimmy drives right through his tackles and makes sure they are finished. In every aspect of his technique, it’s almost flawless. He has very smooth hip movement, and is great at frustrating and jamming receivers coming off the line. Jimmy’s game time attitude is unparalleled. He goes non-stop and you won’t find anyone on the field that will out hustle him. Jimmy possesses great speed, perhaps not burning, so he should be able to keep up with most receivers.

http://condraft.com/player.php?id=188

He has mostly played safety and at 6-3 and close to 220 pounds, that will most likely be his position in the NFL. But this year he was asked to play corner to fill the vacant spot created from CB DeAngelo Hall's departure into the NFL and he did a masterful job, shutting down his side of the field consistently game after game. His time as a corner will only help his development. His move to corner was a huge success and he is now being talked about as even being an NFL corner. He has great range and plays the ball nicely in the air for a big man. He hurt his draft stock late in the year with two bone headed plays and will be interrogated in interviews. Bottom line though is that he is one of the most talented defensive back prospects to come out in years. Should be a top 10 pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would be quite fine with Williams at 18. He isn't a CB on the NFL level he is a safety and we can use a guy who could play CB in college. Keith Davis and Roy Williams couldn't do that. Most true FS could.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
What a repugnant mock for us. I know Jimmy Williams is a talented player, but that mouth turns me off for some reason. I still remember all the jawing he did before the 2004 season opener, only to watch Bush smoke him. Jimmy Let Sitting Bull down. Sitting Bull isn't sweet on Jimmy...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

You mean like draft a Defensive End and move him to Outside Linebacker?

Nope. BP would never do that. :rolleyes:

dcboy

Reaction score
If Jimmy Williams is there at 18 I want him. I like Manny Lawson and Chad Greenway and some of the tackles and young Larry Allen (Jean-Gilles)too, but I would rather have JW. I would take him over Huff too, who I would not mind at 18.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Thought that he was with the Longhorns!!!!
28. Jacksonville Jaguars--Cedric Griffin, CB, Oklahoma. Great hands and cover savvy, good nose for the ball.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would be disappointed to see that pick at 18.

Why's that? He could be as good as Woodson. It's about the spot Polomalu was drafted. I think it would be a tremendous pick and there's depth at tackle and linebacker later in the draft. Not so at FS.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Why's that? He could be as good as Woodson. It's about the spot Polomalu was drafted. I think it would be a tremendous pick and there's depth at tackle and linebacker later in the draft. Not so at FS.
If you've noticed my post after that, I did some research and changed my mind.:D