Really comfortable sneakers

Flamma

Reaction score
Back in 1984 I bought a pair of Air Jordans for 120 bucks. That was a lot of money back then, but I never wore a more comfortable basketball sneaker in my life. I felt like I was walking on air. I bought them again a few years later because I was going through 60 dollar sneakers in a month or two. Air Jordans, even at 120 bucks, lasted almost a year.

To this day I have never found a sneaker even close to them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Back in 1984 I bought a pair of Air Jordans for 120 bucks. That was a lot of money back then, but I never wore a more comfortable basketball sneaker in my life. I felt like I was walking on air. I bought them again a few years later because I was going through 60 dollar sneakers in a month or two. Air Jordans, even at 120 bucks, lasted almost a year.

To this day I have never found a sneaker even close to them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Have you ever been to Skechers? I have ultra wide feet, and they have sneakers and hikers that are really comfortable.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Nike Max Air. Not sure which models, and starting to get old but still cushioned. Most comfortable sneakers ever had.

Doctors once told me New Balance was best for feet but my feet say otherwise.

I like to wear the memory foam Skechers inside.

John813

Reaction score
One thing I've learned is there is such a thing as a shoe being too plush/cushioned.
the New Balance 1080's are really plushy. Good short term, but long term it's almost too much.

I got a pair of 2013's. Not bad. Wanted to try out the 2017's but found a good deal on the 270's.

2017's seem to have a good amount of air under the sole without being overkill.

Hardline

Reaction score
I wear Doc Marten lace up boots. And Van's slip on shoes.
Both very comfy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No matter the shoe, always replace the insoles(cheapest part of the shoe).

I have no idea about quality basketball shoes. For everyday wear or hiking, New Balance work great for me, especially since they have a variety of wide sizes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I have no idea about quality basketball shoes. For everyday wear or hiking, New Balance work great for me, especially since they have a variety of wide sizes.
I used to like New Balance too, until I tried Skechers. I've been wearing a pair of their hikers at work (don't remember the model) for about 8 months now, even through the winter (when the snow isn't deep) and they still look and feel pretty new. Now that it's getting hot out, I'm wearing a lightweight, cooler pair that are also very comfortable.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Agree. Even my steel toe boots are fine with Dr.Scholl's inserts.

John813

Reaction score
My wife swears by Oofos. Think they started as a recovery slide and now starting to produce other shoes.

They are pretty tits, not going to lie. For sandals hard to beat their comfort. Got some before a cruise. Could spend all day in them on the boat, excursions etc..

Creeper

Reaction score
I have a difficult time finding sneakers that fit me. It seems like they are all too small or way too big. If find that the space above my big toe is usually too small to accommodate my toes comfortably. Some brands I am wear an 11 1/2 shoe. Some a 12 or 12.5. Some a 13. One thing I noticed is for some makers, the different between a 12 and 13 is ridiculous. it's like the difference between a row boat and a battleship.

I jog on a treadmill daily so having a good sneaker that fits is really important. I had a pair of size 12 2E New Balance sneakers last year and they damaged by big toenail.

Now I wear a size 12.5 2E New Balance sneaker, and I wear Sketchers relaxed fit size 12. I have Olukai slip on for summer, size 13.

I find the Sketchers relaxed fit to be the most comfortable. But it is always a project when it is time for me to buy shoes. Don't even get me started on golf shoes.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I have a difficult time finding sneakers that fit me. It seems like they are all too small or way too big. If find that the space above my big toe is usually too small to accommodate my toes comfortably. Some brands I am wear an 11 1/2 shoe. Some a 12 or 12.5. Some a 13. One thing I noticed is for some makers, the different between a 12 and 13 is ridiculous. it's like the difference between a row boat and a battleship.

I jog on a treadmill daily so having a good sneaker that fits is really important. I had a pair of size 12 2E New Balance sneakers last year and they damaged by big toenail.

Now I wear a size 12.5 2E New Balance sneaker, and I wear Sketchers relaxed fit size 12. I have Olukai slip on for summer, size 13.

I find the Sketchers relaxed fit to be the most comfortable. But it is always a project when it is time for me to buy shoes. Don't even get me started on golf shoes.
You may be better off just getting some football turf cleats for your golf game.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Nikes called The Fortnight many years ago. After a couple of years, the shoes started to wear out. I went back to buy another pair, but Nike had stopped making The Fortnight. I was bummed.

The shoes had a rubbery cushion ---on the bottom of the shoe--- and they weren't overly expensive. Maybe they were $60.

When I tried to find a replacement, with other brands, it was like the global shoe cartel had decided to stop making shoes with that kind of bottom. Most all of the shoes had a "hard" bottom, and there was a cushion inside the shoe instead.

But those shoes were --not-- as comfortable as the Nike Fortnight.

For now, I settle for a Walmart Athletic shoe that's comfortable because it comes in a 4E width. They wear out quicker than the $100 shoes, but they only cost $17/pair.

I am interested in getting a pair comfortable shoes that you slip into, so there's no bother to tie laces. But they would have to fit as comfortable as the 4E Walmart shoes.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’m going to sound like a hippie, but I’m going to plug Xero shoes

https://xeroshoes.com/

These shoes have no heel or arch support, and are designed to be wider so your foot sits on the ground naturally. Like your feet are when you’re barefoot.

Xero’s argument is that arch supports are not needed for most people and that walking on heels doesn’t provide a natural foot movement.

I thought it was a gimmick until I got a pair. They’re awesome. Now whenever I wear regular shoes to work outside or wear my hiking boots, or dress shoes, it feels weird to have that heel and arch support back. Then I put my Xero’s on and realize how much more comfortable they are.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sure there are more expensive shoes that might be better.

I only have a few pair of shoes. Not a sneaker head.

I got a pair of black nike high tops. I like plain black shoes and the high tops help keep my on ankle/drop foot keep from rolling.

However the main shoe that I wear around the house is Lite-Weight Sketchers.

Except the thick sole it is mostly made of some cloth type material that is really lite and soft and very aerated. Now if it is cold or wet out, you do NOT want to wear these shoes. But if you want a comfortable shoe without breaking the bank. Look into the different variations of the lite weight Sketchers.

What really gets you is how lite they really are. It just feels like you have a sneaker sole stuck to your foot. When I switch to my high tops they feel so much heavier and clunky. If I have a day full of things where I will be out of the house I wear my high tops to keep my ankle from rolling and also in case the weather turns wet or cold.
However when I get home and change to my sketchers....the are so lite and comfy. I pretty much wear them like a house slipper lol.
I have the all black with the white sole. Nothing fancy to look at but they are clean and comfy

Flamma

Reaction score
When I'm at the hospital, I noticed a lot of the staff wear On brand sneakers. I haven't worn a pair myself, just sharing my observation. Anyway, here's a link: https://www.on.com/en-us/shop/mens/shoes
They actually look good. There have been several very good suggestions in this thread. But these are hospital workers, it has to be taken seriously. Another thing I have to consider is how they look. If they look ridiculous, I'm not wearing them. But this brand looks good. Thank you to you all.

nobody

Reaction score
Have you ever been to Skechers? I have ultra wide feet, and they have sneakers and hikers that are really comfortable.
I've been wearing Sketchers for almost a decade now and won't wear anything else. Best shoes I've had in a very long time. Last a long time too.