1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Reason why Rams let SP coach Bone Fassel go

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by quickccc, Sep 21, 2020.

1. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

4,874 Messages
    4,062 Likes Received
    it's been suggested per local talk radio that the reason why Rams let special teams coach John 'Bone" Fassel go and not resigned him was his penchant to challenge opposing special teams unit.

And i thought Rams were crazy for letting a creative special teams guy like Fassel go once his contract was expired.

Maybe HC Sean McVey thought he was too gamble risky, took too many chances in trick plays and going for it...

Interesting. i'm keeping a close eye on this one..

2. MCMetal69

MCMetal69 Well-Known Member

2,616 Messages
    3,613 Likes Received
    Though he's too much of a gambler for my taste (or lack thereof) , after the last several seasons of horrific ST play , I'm willing to risk it............

3. risco

risco Well-Known Member

2,391 Messages
    1,199 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with him gambling at the beginning of the season. Get it out of the system early rather than later, so hopefully we will not do things like that later in the season

817Gill and blumayne38 like this.
  4. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

26,558 Messages
    68,987 Likes Received
    HC has final decision. Coordinators suggest, but should not have final say in play call. If he does, them I am very disappointed in MM.

5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

25,217 Messages
    12,007 Likes Received
    The decision to fake a punt is the HC's.

The first one worked with better execution, so I'm not really sure what the critique of Fassel is here.

6. JW82

JW82 JJ21

3,062 Messages
    5,357 Likes Received
    I am ok with him having these plays ready to go, but MM needs to tell him, he does not have the OK to make these decisions without his approval. That 2nd fake was awful.

7. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

10,724 Messages
    14,275 Likes Received
    I'm ok with any fake that works and any fake that doesn't work I think was a stupid decision.

cffl2323, DAL1180, Portnoy1 and 6 others like this.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

37,425 Messages
    30,788 Likes Received
    Hold on though.....doesn't he have to get the green light from the head coach? No way McCarthy is letting him do that on his own right?

Portnoy1, JayFord and cheyennes like this.
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

37,425 Messages
    30,788 Likes Received
    I was more disturbed by the play call than the actual fake. If that's what they were going to run and at that time they should've left the offense out there.

MCMetal69 likes this.
  10. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

11,899 Messages
    12,988 Likes Received
    I like that guy. The execution on the fake punts was bad but I like his passion. On the onside kick he was damn near on top of the pile and the refs had to pull him away.

11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

19,428 Messages
    18,654 Likes Received
    this

superonyx likes this.
  12. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    also it keeps the other team on their toes. Even if they THINK something might be coming, they don’t know what, and they have to flip the switch if it’s just a normal punt.

13. blumayne38

blumayne38 Well-Known Member

3,110 Messages
    1,992 Likes Received
    A ST coach and his unit could surly undermine a head coach.

Ranching likes this.
  14. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

2,118 Messages
    1,702 Likes Received
    I thought he left because of money. His contract ended and we offered more money.

Techsass likes this.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

25,217 Messages
    12,007 Likes Received
    I think it's possible that the players botched that as well.

My guess is that it's a call of "if you have the numbers, run the fake," espevcially in a situation like that.

rocyaice likes this.
  16. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

4,840 Messages
    5,344 Likes Received
    I dont know but the Rams did the exact thing to the eagles as they did to Dallas.

ran at will, confused the quarterback, goff was excellent.

The rams are a good team and next weeks under the radar big time game is the Rams at Buffalo.

bigE79 likes this.
  17. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

65,823 Messages
    75,724 Likes Received
    The special teams coach suggests fakes and going for it, he doesn't simply act on it alone. Ultimately the decisions rest with the head coach.

Techsass likes this.
  18. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,997 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    The second fake punt was stupid. But, all of the upcoming opponents are on notice that the Cowboys will run fake punts. That should really help the punt returns and improve field position the rest of the season. That's right, my glass is always half-full and I love a silver lining.

Seven and Zekeats like this.
  19. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

12,850 Messages
    5,753 Likes Received
    but the final call to go for trick plays is up to the head coach.....not just the assistant coach.

20. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

7,541 Messages
    8,144 Likes Received
    Still up to the head coach