Reasonable trade values for key players?

kskboys

Reaction score
The best trade value is Cooper, despite what people are saying about his contract. The Cowboys gave up a 1st round pick for him knowing they would have to pay him that money and other teams will too. Also, Cooper is under contract through 2024 with most of his contract being salary. It can be restructured by any team willing to push his cap impact out a couple of years. If you think Cooper is too valuable to trade and worth the $22 million the Cowboys will have to pay against the CAP, then why wouldn't other teams feel the same way? The question is, what could they get for him. I seriously doubt they can get a 1st round pick for him. Houston got a 2nd round pick and a RB for DeAndre Hopkins. My guess is the Cowboys might get the 2nd round pick for Cooper and maybe a player.

Gallup probably has some value, maybe a 4th or 5th round pick. Tyron is a question mark because of his injury. A team in dire need of a LT may want him. Trent Williams was acquired by the 49ers for a 5th in 2020 and a 3rd in 2021. I suppose a deal for Tyron, who is a few years younger might look like that.

I am on the trade Cooper bandwagon because he does have some value and they need to clear some CAP room for defense. While Cooper is a great route runner, he is not my type of player. I would rather put the money into the defense because with their current defense they will never win anything. Cooper may be the best trade bait on the team other than Zack Martin who I would never trade.
Not a good comparison. It was a well known fact that Hous could've gotten a lot more for Hopkins.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Id put Cooper at a 1st around 20-25. He be willing to renegotiate his contract after 2021 for more guaranteed. That will bring his AAV down. Still young and has been a consistent producer

Gallup I think we could get a mid 2nd for. Not a #1 guy, but he is a 1,000 yard guy and a player teams have to respect deep.

Smith with his injury history could still net you a 2nd IMO. LT is still a very big need around the league

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Gallup 3rd or 4th
Tyron Smith - 4th
Jaylon Smith - Happy Meal
Leighton Vanderesch - Happy Meal without toy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Just to preface, I'm not suggesting blow up the team. I wouldn't mind drawing a consensus on the trade value of certain players, however, since it may be wise for the front office to explore all options to build the defense, and draft picks certainly help. With that in mind, what are realistic trade values for players such as;
Gallup, Cooper, Tyron, LVE?

Draft picks are too valuable right now for us to get good value in return for players.

Gallup has shown enough that he's likely going to make $10 million or more on the open market. that in turn means that he is going to net a third round pick where the like in compensation.

What makes sense to me is looking for a team that has too many defensive tackles or a tremendous free safety that they don't intend on keeping and trading say Gallup for one of them.

Reactions: CWR

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are not going to trade anyone. Especially on offense. They are too close, if healthy to have one of the best offenses ever.
So why blow that up. They just need to fix the defenses enough to prevent the crap like this past season, and off they go on a deep playoff run.
Trading a few key players will harm that a lot. For what, a few 3rd round drafts choices which will be huge unknowns. For which they may get 3rd round comp picks in a year or two anyway.

what is the love affair of our fans thinking they need to trade any players now, or blow the team up. Just to save a few bucks on the cap, or whatever. It just does not make sense. It is like making a change just to make one. Don’t fix what is not broken. Yes things are broken and need fixed, but trading away players is not the answer, adding to them is.

It is like the kid in college or coming out of college thinking they know better right away, instead of learning a few ropes first. Or like the new person coming into a work place, saying, well when I worked here, we did it this way thinking the entire company will change to that way. :laugh:

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Well no value before free agency when guys like Godwin, Golladay and Robinson are slated to be Ufa.

I don't think his contract will be considered high after this latest round of fa is over. Jmo

Maybe after those guys get signed Coops contract doesn't look so bad. Regardless I think there are teams that would be willing to deal for Coop. Hes a damn good WR.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I’d take a 3rd or 4th for Tyron

Jaylon I’d be happy with a 5th or 6th

I doubt we get anything for LVE