Rebuild the Defense in 1 draft-mock

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1-Farley CB Virginia Tech (Take the best available corner, 2 of the top 3 should be there)
2-Moehrig FS TCU (Trade up using our 3rd rd comp as he is unlikely to make to to pick 44)
3-Browning LB Ohio State (fits our strong-side LB spot, might not make it this far)
4a-Stills DT West Virginia (has experience at that 4T DE that Quinn's Defense uses)
4b-Brown III DT Texas A&M (fills the team's 1 technique)

New 4-3 Base Defensive (run downs)

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve
Will-Jaylon (comes off the field in the nickel)
Strong-Browning (he could bump Jaylon off the roster in 2022)

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig

conner01

Reaction score
Rebuilding the defense is the key to success with this team
I’d love that draft but atleast the top 2 picks need to be defense if possible
I’m no fan of drafting need over a better player at another position but I wouldn’t complain if every pick was defense
Just don’t pass a significantly better player to do it

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
1-Farley CB Virginia Tech (Take the best available corner, 2 of the top 3 should be there)
2-Moehrig FS TCU (Trade up using our 3rd rd comp as he is unlikely to make to to pick 44)
3-Browning LB Ohio State (fits our strong-side LB spot, might not make it this far)
4a-Stills DT West Virginia (has experience at that 4T DE that Quinn's Defense uses)

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

Where's Gregory?????

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Rebuilding the defense is the key to success with this team
I’d love that draft but atleast the top 2 picks need to be defense if possible
I’m no fan of drafting need over a better player at another position but I wouldn’t complain if every pick was defense
Just don’t pass a significantly better player to do it
Just an exercise to see if the majority of our defensive needs can be filled in 1 draft. Every selection in real life will be determined who is available at the time of the pick

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I like some of the picks. I'm not a big fan of having the mindset that one draft will fix the defense.
It will most likely take two full, productive offseasons to build the type of defense that is good enough to hang with the best teams in the playoffs.
I know some will say, "With this team's offense, all they need is an average defense to contend". Not true. Buffalo, KC, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Tampa all have offenses comparable to a Dallas offense that is at full strength AND they all have a very good defense to go with it.
An average defense still doesn't get you deep in the playoffs even with a healthy Dak and OL.

jblaze2004

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig

Not sure 2 later round rookies are going to help the dline.
I think we need to get a starter in FA.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

4 out of 5 ain't bad Sir.

No thanks to Stills.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig
You see. I told you we have enough draft choices without trading down to improve the defense. Everyone says take Jaylon out during nickel situations but last season the Cowboys seemed to take LVE off the field instead of Jaylon. Neither one was any good against the pass last season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You see. I told you we have enough draft choices without trading down to improve the defense. Everyone says take Jaylon out during nickel situations but last season the Cowboys seemed to take LVE off the field instead of Jaylon. Neither one was any good against the pass last season.
Teams expose Jaylon in coverage. In the past Lve was far better. Have no idea why they would take him out against the pass. I fully expect Lve to do well in that area next season, more worried about his run defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
4 out of 5 ain't bad Sir.

No thanks to Stills.

It was just an exercise to see if we could address all our draft needs in 1 draft, which I think is a bit unrealistic. Chose Stills cause of his experience at the 4T on the college level. Do think we can address our DL needs in day 3 as the need is more about finding two down run defenders. Team would probably sign a few veterans to start along the DL, where these rookies would be more rotational type players early in their careers.

I did find out that our 3rd rd comp pick is enough for us to move to the top of rd 2, which I think we may have to if they legitimately want to draft Moehrig.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not sure 2 later round rookies are going to help the dline.
I think we need to get a starter in FA.
As I just said in another response, unlikely that DL rookies would make immediate impact as day 1 starters. This would be the area in which I believe the team would find veteran, bridge starters at the position. Keep in mind, I am forecasting both spots just in the base defense and these players would come off the field against the pass.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Teams expose Jaylon in coverage. In the past Lve was far better. Have no idea why they would take him out against the pass. I fully expect Lve to do well in that area next season, more worried about his run defense.
What you think of the Georgia pass rusher, Azeez Ojalari? He is rising up boards. I bet we are considering him.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig
:clap::clap:

calicowboy54

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig
which stills darius or dante???

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What you think of the Georgia pass rusher, Azeez Ojalari? He is rising up boards. I bet we are considering him.
I think he is more of a 3-4 OLB, but good fit in Quinn's 4-3. Not in love with any of the edge prospects early on.

waving monkey

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig
can LVE hold up at Mike

817Gill

Reaction score

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig
Shoutout to you for consistently comin with the interesting threads.

Also, shouldn’t we have a compensatory 3rd?

Last edited: