Rebuild the Defense in 1 draft-mock

conner01

Reaction score
Just an exercise to see if the majority of our defensive needs can be filled in 1 draft. Every selection in real life will be determined who is available at the time of the pick
Good job
Making this defense average in one draft with a new scheme I think is possible and average is a huge improvement
It’s gonna take more than one to make them really good
But I’ll take average with this offensive potential

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good job
Making this defense average in one draft with a new scheme I think is possible and average is a huge improvement
It’s gonna take more than one to make them really good
But I’ll take average with this offensive potential

It looks like they are going to have to rebuild the defense through the draft. They must do a better job drafting defensive players and have some good fortune along the way.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Shoutout to you for consistently comin with the interesting threads.

Also, shouldn’t we have a compensatory 3rd?
The 3rd comp was traded away to move up to the top of the 2nd rd to select Moehrig, who I doubt makes it to pick #44, our original 2nd rd selection.

visionary

Reaction score
Sorry not a fan

gotta stop focusing on the shiny toys in the secondary and pick up some lunch pail guys in front 7

DT and LB

I’ll build with Collins and Barmore/Nixon over Surtain and Moehrig

conner01

Reaction score
It looks like they are going to have to rebuild the defense through the draft. They must do a better job drafting defensive players and have some good fortune along the way.
Fee agency this year I don’t see being a big factor
I could see short term deals for a guy or two wanting to hit the market again next year when maybe teams have more money
But I don’t see any long term premier players
The team is set to dump some big contracts in next couple year so I think over next couple years we need to hit homeruns in the draft to have replacement in place
Not just the top pick, we need 3rd-4th round picks who can be contributors if not starters very soon

tm1119

Reaction score
Sorry not a fan

gotta stop focusing on the shiny toys in the secondary and pick up some lunch pail guys in front 7

DT and LB

I’ll build with Collins and Barmore/Nixon over Surtain and Moehrig

Completely agree...but don’t leave out DE/edge rusher. I’m certainly not going into next season confidently with Smith/Gregory as starters. It’s being completely ignored that we were 24th in QB pressures last year. Obviously a DT that can get pressure up the middle will help a lot, but getting to the qb is the key to winning and we don’t have a game changing edge rusher on the team either.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
We could replace Moehrig with Bolton at the top of rd 2, who I think is the best Mike LB in the draft, but this defense requires a high level Free Safety. Think the safety position has a big drop-off after him.

That was my only complaint with your mock was not getting a mlb. I don't want Jaylon or LVE playing there. That is why safety is the position I would target in FA if possible, or I was thinking trading back from 10 to get extra capital and get your safety that way.

cnuball21

Reaction score
1-Farley CB Virginia Tech (Take the best available corner, 2 of the top 3 should be there)
2-Moehrig FS TCU (Trade up using our 3rd rd comp as he is unlikely to make to to pick 44)
3-Browning LB Ohio State (fits our strong-side LB spot, might not make it this far)
4a-Stills DT West Virginia (has experience at that 4T DE that Quinn's Defense uses)
4b-Brown III DT Texas A&M (fills the team's 1 technique)

New 4-3 Base Defensive (run downs)

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve
Will-Jaylon (comes off the field in the nickel)
Strong-Browning (he could bump Jaylon off the roster in 2022)

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig

We're drafting a 6'1 DT to play edge for us? Hard pass.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
We're drafting a 6'1 DT to play edge for us? Hard pass.
dont count this kid out from being able to do just that. The Still brothers from WV remind me a ton of the smith brothers from GB. id love to have both of them late in the draft.

visionary

Reaction score
I could see short term deals for a guy or two wanting to hit the market again next year when maybe teams have more money
The team is set to dump some big contracts in next couple year so I think over next couple years we need to hit homeruns in the draft to have replacement in place
Not just the top pick, we need 3rd-4th round picks who can be contributors if not starters very soon

same story EVERY year that THIS year we can’t get a big time defensive FA.

every single year

Look through the roster of the playoff teams and they have almost all done it

yet, somehow we can’t ,LOL

conner01

Reaction score
same story EVERY year that THIS year we can’t get a big time defensive FA.

every single year

Look through the roster of the playoff teams and they have almost all done it

yet, somehow we can’t ,LOL
Check out the salary cap

visionary

Reaction score
Check out the salary cap

check out “Building and NFL team 101” and then look at how much we have spent on offense and defense and then factor in that were about to pay Dak 40 million. then see what successful nfl teams do and then realize we’re not doing it

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That was my only complaint with your mock was not getting a mlb. I don't want Jaylon or LVE playing there. That is why safety is the position I would target in FA if possible, or I was thinking trading back from 10 to get extra capital and get your safety that way.
The way the team uses fa, it's very hard to team build exclusively thru the draft process. I agree, signing a quality Free Safety makes all the sense in the world, but they haven't done that for since probably Ken Hamlin many years ago. They just haven't prioritized the position, it's up to our new DC to jump on the table to get one.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

The biggest takeaway for me is, they have to hit on their draft picks so they have quality, controllable, low paid players to help the cap moving forward. It's all fine to build through the draft, but you better not miss.

tm1119

Reaction score
1-Farley CB Virginia Tech (Take the best available corner, 2 of the top 3 should be there)
2-Moehrig FS TCU (Trade up using our 3rd rd comp as he is unlikely to make to to pick 44)
3-Browning LB Ohio State (fits our strong-side LB spot, might not make it this far)
4a-Stills DT West Virginia (has experience at that 4T DE that Quinn's Defense uses)
4b-Brown III DT Texas A&M (fills the team's 1 technique)

New 4-3 Base Defensive (run downs)

LE (4T)-Stills
DT (1T) Brown III
DT (3T) Hill/Gallimore
RE (Leo) DLaw

MIKE-Lve
Will-Jaylon (comes off the field in the nickel)
Strong-Browning (he could bump Jaylon off the roster in 2022)

CB-Diggs
CB-Farley
SS-Wilson
FS-Moehrig

Demarcus Lawrence has 16.5 sacks in his last 44 games played...when are we going to admit he’s not a great pass rusher? He’s not a “leo” in this defense. He’s 1 of the best run defenders though so he’ll make the perfect strong side end, despite being overpaid. This plan relies on Gregory and Aldon Smith to be our difference making pass rushers...no thanks.

conner01

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence has 16.5 sacks in his last 44 games played...when are we going to admit he’s not a great pass rusher? He’s not a “leo” in this defense. He’s 1 of the best run defenders though so he’ll make the perfect strong side end, despite being overpaid. This plan relies on Gregory and Aldon Smith to be our difference making pass rushers...no thanks.
Smith may not even be on the team but he’d be fine in that role and Gregory is a nice fit there
I get the history part with each but I think the risk is fine
Going forward you draft others
You aren’t fixing every spot in one draft but this really upgrades the secondary and adds good players across the defense
Next year you add more
We aren’t going from worst to first in one year on defense but we might can get to average in one year and have pieces to build on