RECAP: Jerry on Norm KTCK

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This might be the special post game ever for you.

Our post game on Saturday will be really special because we’re going to let the fans on the field and have former players and coaches on the field.

Do you believe you’ll cry after the game?

I guess I might as well get it over with, but it will be really special 20 years coming to a close for me. All the people it’s impacted … not just the Cowboys, but all the other events .. we’ve had some really great Texas High School games there. There’s no telling how many people have been touched by that stadium when you include all the high school kids, the cheerleaders, the bands, their families sitting in the stands watching them. I remember watching my son Stephen play there Arkansas vs. SMU and he got hurt and just laid there and laid there and my wife and I were just horrified and he eventually got up .. that’s one of the memories I remember most. Think of all the thousands and thousands people of people watching their kids, cousins and family members over the years.

Do you know how many people will be on the field?

I can’t even speculate because we made it all inclusive. We’re still making contacts with people at this very time.

Are there any players you wanted to be there that you can’t find?

I don’t know. I can’t answer that question.

Do you have a specific highlight moment?

The first game was special. The championship game against Green Bay heading to the Superbowl was so significant. Frankly, the loss against the Miami Dolphins in the snow is one that always comes to mind quickly. Meeting Billy Graham when he was there. When Mandella came to our game and sat with us in the box, and to take him to the dressing room and watching him greet our players.

We have a copy of that picture of him in the lockerroom in the book I published.

I was impressed by his attention to young children. He watched the game a little bit, but he was just memorized by watching young children.

I heard the new stadium has gotten to the point where some staff might be moving to new offices there this week.

That might be stretching it. They’ll be walking around construction. I did that with a new home one time, moving into a new house before it was finished and having to step around construction … that’s called getting antsye. But yes, it’s getting close. Its really coming fast, and it should be, but I cant’ think of a more exciting event out there than 3 nights ago about 1 a.m we got the big media board set up. We got our first real sense of what it’s going to look like, relative to space. We spent hours in every walking to every nook and cranny in the stadium to see the look of the screen. It is absolutely phenomenal, and I’m convinced now more than ever it will create a live experience like no other in professional sports.

Will it now include a Cowboys HOF?

Yes it will. It will be a work in process, and it should be. Last night Moose Johnston’s wife gave me very something that Moose had that was really, really special to him and he wants it in there. That’s the kind of thing we want to aggregate into a special place for our fans.

Will MB3 be a go for tomorrow?

He’s basically like he was last week as far as status and what he’s doing at practice. He’ll probably be a little bit better given that he’s had a week to heal the toe. He wants out there so bad it’s unbelievable, but it will be a game time thing again this week.

Was it a mistake to play him last week?

Not at all. He didn’t have a set back, and having MB3 in a game is someone defenses have to honor. And we need him, that’s the bottom line.

Have you ever seen a year with odder kinds of injuries. Newman has a 3 week injury turn into several months. Kozier gets hurt, comes back, comes hurt. Anthony Spencer gets hurt, comes back, gets hurt. Have you seen an odder year?

No, not to my memory. You’re absolutely right. It just points out that every player handles injuries and rehab in different ways. It’s not a cookie cutter deal. You get surprises, both good and bad. Adam Jones looked like he wasn’t even going to be a consideration for the next 4-5 weeks, and even that looked doubtful. I’ve never seen that kind of change in prognosis like that.

Why have PacMan return kicks? Miles Austin is a very good KR, and Crayton is at least very steady as a PR. Why not stick with those two?

Adam hasn’t had a chance to break it yet, but if you notice they kick away from him and kick bad kicks. They don’t do that for everyone else. He brings a real home run threat and we need that if we can get it.

I’ll finish the post game show here about 1 a.m. and on my way home I’ll pass by the stadium. If the lights are still on do you mind if I stop by and share a drink with you?

You bet, Norm. The lights will be on and the music will be playing. Surely they’ll give us a pass on noise ordinances. I can’t think of anything better than sharing a toast with you in the stadium.

Are you going to close it the way you ended it, lying down in the middle of the field and laying in the middle of the star?

I haven’t thought about it, but why not?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The owner taking hours to walk the stadium, checking every nook and cranny for the fan's view....I love it.

1fisher

Reaction score
I can't wait for the new stadium but, dang, I'm going to miss the old one? :(

hendog

Reaction score
Still hard to believe this is the last game there. What a wonderful history.

I can only imagine how the yankee fans and former players felt about closing Yankee Stadium. Unreal history in that joint.

hendog

Reaction score
wayne motley;2505671 said:
The owner taking hours to walk the stadium, checking every nook and cranny for the fan's view....I love it.

Yeah - he's probably the biggest fan of all.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great for things to work out so Dallas hosts the NFL championship game?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I think Jerry and the team should all go the stadium on Sunday and just chill on the field telling stories with some of those former players who will be in town for the game.

Throw some chairs out there and just shoot the breeze.

I would love to be there for something like that.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
1fisher;2505679 said:
I can't wait for the new stadium but, dang, I'm going to miss the old one? :(

I dunno, are you? Only you know the answer to that question that you just posed to the entire board.