RECAP: Parcells comments on Ware/Merriman

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Did anyone hear Parcells on his Friday night Primetime show? Every week he breaks down a different position, and this week was outside linebacker.

After Parcells went through the qualities he looks for in a prospect, Mort asked him about the choice of Merriman/Ware and what went in to the decision. Parcells said, "Well, there were some other things that went in to it" and Keyshawn immediately started laughing and said, "Yeah, you think?"

Parcells went on saying that Merriman was a strongside guy and a true linebacker -- and a really good player, without doubt -- while Ware was a smaller and quicker player who would have to convert from DE. Keyshawn said, "I could translate that for you, Mort." Mort asked what he meant, but Key dropped it. Parcells did mention Merriman's agent, but it almost seemed like there was more to the story and Key obviously knew it.

Just thought that was interesting since I hadn't heard Parcells comment much on the decision. Whether he meant the Postons, or the off-field incidents, or the possible drug use, or whatever, is seems like it wasn't much of a secret among the players. The way Keyshawn reacted, there's definitely a story there.

Well, now later when they're discussing the Colts-Chargers game and how bad the Chargers' D is (especially last week), Mort brings up Merriman's decline in production this year. Key laughs again and says, "I can connect the dots for you, Mort". He then bashes him pretty good about the steroid bust.

Maybe that's what he meant. You've always heard rumors that people suspected he (and maybe Vernon Davis) was on the juice even before the draft.

Oh, and Mort asked about Shockey and Witten, and Parcells said we had Witten as a top-20 player overall. Key laughed and asked why he didn't take him in the first round, and he said because the other guys were rated even higher. Parcells also said we should beat the Giants if we can just block their pass rush.

I keep adding to this, but now Mort has Witten on, and he says T.O. is totally different this year from last. He says maybe T.O. just finally "got" what being a good teammate was.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Eddie;1754598 said:
Or maybe cause BP wanted Spears.

I keep hearing that. Sweet mother. I'm glad we didn't go with BP on that one. Imagine missing out on Ware because we took Spears first.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Probably means that Jerry wanted Ware and Parcells wanted Merriman and Jerry over ruled him. So Key wanted to take a shot at Jerry Jones and the organization again but decided not to lift his skirt yet again just then.

I'm just guessing, because from what you said of what Parcells was discussing, seems like everything he's saying leans towards Merriman.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think it was pretty well known that Merriman used steroids. Stuff like that isn't easy to keep silent.

And based on Merriman's level of play this year, those suspicions may be true.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Chargers are in a different defensive scheme. But it seems to me if your playmakers aren't making plays in a scheme that's suppose to benefit their talents, something's wrong.

It aint always the scheme.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Another reason might be how Merriman was preceived to take coaching.

Parcells needed guys open to his badgering. He has stated this before in the past, so I think it was apart of it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1754605 said:
Oh, and Mort asked about Shockey and Witten, and Parcells said we had Witten as a top-20 player overall. Key laughed and asked why he didn't take him in the first round, and he said because the other guys were rated even higher.

So Al Johnson was rated in the top-20?

My, that's a frightening thought if true. I wonder what imbecile came up with that draft board.

Alexander

Reaction score
tyke1doe;1754608 said:
I think it was pretty well known that Merriman used steroids. Stuff like that isn't easy to keep silent.

There were rumors about Merriman leading up to that draft. Some were due to the Postons, others about unspecified character concerns.

And this business about Coach Parcells wanting him more are not the way I recall it.

IIRC, the "thug" comment was made after this very draft to rationalize the Ware choice.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Chargers are in a different defensive scheme. But it seems to me if your playmakers aren't making plays in a scheme that's suppose to benefit their talents, something's wrong.

They are playing a radically different 3-4 under Ted Cottrell. If you cannot at least admit that, you are probably just wishfully thinking that the steroids have something to do with Merriman's "decline".

It isn't always a lack of steroids either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What do you mean, a "radically different" 3-4? They hired Cottrell because he runs Wade's scheme and they wouldn't have to learn a new defense.

Alexander

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1754621 said:
What do you mean, a "radically different" 3-4? They hired Cottrell because he runs Wade's scheme and they wouldn't have to learn a new defense.

It is not nearly as aggressive. And that is partially to Merriman's point. All along people want to give Phillips credit for putting his player's in positions to be successful. Why would it be any different in Dallas than it was in San Diego? Perhaps it is very different.

That is rational because it is not just Merriman that is suffering statistically. Shaun Phillips' production is down (he had six in their first six games last season). Their entire line is down. They have only seventeen total sacks, which is not even a fraction of what they produced last season.

They rank near the bottom tier in nearly every defensive category that matters, with virtually the same team. I would say that has quite a bit to say whether or not the defense is the same.

It can be something as simple as philosophy. If Cottrell stresses more caution and gets more upset at big plays, you don't believe it trickles down to doubt in the player's minds?

I just see far too much Merriman disgust affecting the facts. Yes, he's a cheater and it makes everyone feel better to believe that Ware is so much better and chalk it up to steroids.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Alexander;1754617 said:
They are playing a radically different 3-4 under Ted Cottrell. If you cannot at least admit that, you are probably just wishfully thinking that the steroids have something to do with Merriman's "decline".

So are you saying that Cottrell has Merriman dropping back more into coverage? And exactly why would he be doing that more often, especially since he's about 270 lbs?

It isn't always a lack of steroids either.

True. But when a player has a dramatic decline in play and he's not injured and he's basically in the same scheme, then you start to look for "that which is not equal."

And what's different now is that Merriman is on-alert that if he tests positive for steroid use, he's looking at a longer ban.

True, we don't know for sure. But I don't think the suspicions are unreasonable either.

Alexander

Reaction score
tyke1doe;1754637 said:
So are you saying that Cottrell has Merriman dropping back more into coverage? And exactly why would he be doing that more often, especially since he's about 270 lbs?

Considering Merriman himself is suggesting that, yes. I don't watch enough Charger games to dispute what the player himself has to say.

True. But when a player has a dramatic decline in play and he's not injured and he's basically in the same scheme, then you start to look for "that which is not equal."

Again, it is not the same scheme from the way it appears.

And even if it were completely identical, teams are attacking the Chargers differently this year. They are taking shorter drops. They are double and triple teaming Merriman. That can make a difference.

And what's different now is that Merriman is on-alert that if he tests positive for steroid use, he's looking at a longer ban.

But oh yes, dispute the evidence on the field and load it all up on the steroid wagon. I suppose it makes everyone feel more secure to do that, but it is not all that logical.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Parcells is too smart to say which player he preferred. Maybe they are both great players. Time will bear out the better player.

Key just stirring the pot.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Keyshawn has commented on Merriman before, basically implying that he's taken steroids for a long time and will likely continue to take them. Of course, Keyshawn is an idiot with a big mouth and his opinion and comments should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander;1754633 said:
It is not nearly as aggressive. And that is partially to Merriman's point. All along people want to give Phillips credit for putting his player's in positions to be successful. Why would it be any different in Dallas than it was in San Diego? Perhaps it is very different.

That is rational because it is not just Merriman that is suffering statistically. Shaun Phillips' production is down (he had six in their first six games last season). Their entire line is down. They have only seventeen total sacks, which is not even a fraction of what they produced last season.

They rank near the bottom tier in nearly every defensive category that matters, with virtually the same team. I would say that has quite a bit to say whether or not the defense is the same.

It can be something as simple as philosophy. If Cottrell stresses more caution and gets more upset at big plays, you don't believe it trickles down to doubt in the player's minds?

I just see far too much Merriman disgust affecting the facts. Yes, he's a cheater and it makes everyone feel better to believe that Ware is so much better and chalk it up to steroids.

while all this might be true... due to the offense's ineptitude they aren't getting the same amount of chances to rush the qb as last year

dallasfan

Reaction score
tyke1doe;1754608 said:

And based on Merriman's level of play this year, those suspicions may be true.

Yeah he gained like 30 LBs between his last college game and the NFL Draft, and was throwing lineman around last year. It's a shame he resorted to this, cause he has the talent to be a top LB anyway

J-DOG

Reaction score
Alexander;1754613 said:
So Al Johnson was rated in the top-20?

My, that's a frightening thought if true. I wonder what imbecile came up with that draft board.
Agree.
That was what I immediately thought.
There must be something about Al Johnson that stands out with the Cards ponying up all that money to get him in FA.
But...Al Johnson has not lived up to expectations in Arizona either.