Recipe Thread

fancow

Benched
Reaction score
Lasagna

This is a great lasagna recipe favored by fans everywhere. I have added some extra steps to the traditional recipe to make the preparation more enjoyable.

Time Required: 1-2 hours

Skill Required: Moderate to intermediate cooking skills needed

Ingredients:

2 lbs Italian sausage, with casings removed
2 lbs ground beef
3 beef bouillon cubes
12 oz tomato paste
2 large cans (28 oz each) tomato puree
1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano
Minced garlic
3 tbsp sugar
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups Romano cheese
2 lbs ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg
1 lb cooked lasagna noodles

Steps:

In a large frying pan, brown the sausage, ground sirloin, and garlic in olive oil.
Sing "Hail to the Commanders"
Add the tomato paste, tomato puree and the crushed tomatoes. Stir to blend.
Add a tomato can of water, plus basil, oregano, sugar, bouillon cubes, wine, and 1 cup of the Romano cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and simmer for 1 hour.
In a large mixing bowl, make the cheese filling by mixing the ricotta cheese, the beaten egg, one-half cup of the Romano cheese, garlic powder and a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Blend thoroughly.
In a baking pan, spread enough of the tomato sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Next, line the dish with a layer of lasagna noodles. Then, spread some of the mozzarella cheese. Add more noodles and cover with the ricotta cheese mixture. Repeat these layers until the pan is filled. Top with the last of the tomato sauce, sprinkled with the last of the Romano and mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Cover with tinfoil for the first 30-45 minutes to prevent the top from burning.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Get a small roast and put it in the crock pot. Fill the empty space with onions, potatos, bell pepper, and carrots.

Instead of water pour in a Spicy V-8 juice and let the roast cook over night on low in that.

The meat will fall off the bone it will be so tender.

Homemade bread makes this a feast.
Kind of a cool idea. I think I'll try it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Here's a real one....I'm not sure what to call it

Marinate chicken breasts (or thighs if you prefer) in italian dressing for an hour (if you really want it to taste good overnight)
Then in a 3 to 1 mixtures mix some bread crumbs and parmisian(sp?) cheese...the powered type not shredded.....I add some italian seasoning also for an extra kick
Put the chicken on a cookie sheet and sprinkle the crumb and cheese mixture over them and bake at 375 to 400 until the chicken is nice and firm (I'm not sure how long it takes)

That is some good eatin I tell ya

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cook 16 oz. of pinto beans on low overnight in a crock pot with just a small amount of salt.

Drain the water off the beans and put them into a large bowl. Add about a half cup of milk and mash the beans. Add more milk gradually until all the beans are mashed and mixed with the milk. Makes a very creamy refried beans.

In a large skillet brown a pound of ground beef and season with a packet of taco seasoning. Once done drain off the excess oil.

Add the refried beans to the ground beef and mix it all together real good.

Spoon the mixture into a flour tortilla with a spoonful of sour cream and roll like a burrito. Place it on a plate.

Over the burrito pour enough red enchilada sauce to cover the burrito. Shred some cheddar cheese over the burrito.

Add some diced tomatos, diced red onion, sliced black olives, some shredded lettuce and your favorite salsa.

Makes a lot of food so invite friends over to enjoy.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Kind of a cool idea. I think I'll try it.

That caught my eye, too.

I makes roasts in the crock pot often, but I always put in a couple of cans of French Onion soup.

I might try the spicy V-8 sometime.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I need to buy a crockpot. Which one should I get? What size? I guess they come in qt. sizes?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Dallas said:
I need to buy a crockpot. Which one should I get? What size? I guess they come in qt. sizes?

I don't know what kind is better.

The size is kinda important. If you're feeding a family, get a big one.

That's the best way to cook, especially in the winter. Load it up in the morning and when you come home in the evening, you've got a nice hot meal ready.

I do roasts with vegetables and stew, mainly.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chief said:
I don't know what kind is better.

The size is kinda important. If you're feeding a family, get a big one.

That's the best way to cook, especially in the winter. Load it up in the morning and when you come home in the evening, you've got a nice hot meal ready.

I do roasts with vegetables and stew, mainly.

Thanks Chief - Think Ill go out this weekened and pick one up. Ill get a big one. I will probably get it going Sat night. This way it will be ready come game time for us. Think the Game comes on at 12:15 here.

Thanks again =)

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You won't regret it.
Hey Hos, tried that recipe. That was pretty dang good. I left the potatoes whole and used about two inch carrots. That was a good meal and it was ready when we all got home.
Thanks for the tip.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Cook 16 oz. of pinto beans on low overnight in a crock pot with just a small amount of salt.

Drain the water off the beans and put them into a large bowl. Add about a half cup of milk and mash the beans. Add more milk gradually until all the beans are mashed and mixed with the milk. Makes a very creamy refried beans.

In a large skillet brown a pound of ground beef and season with a packet of taco seasoning. Once done drain off the excess oil.

Add the refried beans to the ground beef and mix it all together real good.

Spoon the mixture into a flour tortilla with a spoonful of sour cream and roll like a burrito. Place it on a plate.

Over the burrito pour enough red enchilada sauce to cover the burrito. Shred some cheddar cheese over the burrito.

Add some diced tomatos, diced red onion, sliced black olives, some shredded lettuce and your favorite salsa.

Makes a lot of food so invite friends over to enjoy.

Damn. Now I've got to try this one too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Hey Hos, tried that recipe. That was pretty dang good. I left the potatoes whole and used about two inch carrots. That was a good meal and it was ready when we all got home.
Thanks for the tip.
Pretty easy too. Glad you liked it.