Recruit QB Clawson going to ND...Quinn come out in Sup. draft?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ok guys question, espn reported that top rated QB Clawson is going to Notre Dame, and that he is better than Elway, would Quinn come out in supplemental draft?

NOVA 22

Reaction score
an incoming frosh is a not a threat to quinn, top 3 returning players in the country next year.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
No. I think part of the deal was that ND wouldn't recruit any other QB's, and that he would sit behind Quinn for 1 year, then be a 3 year starter. That's why they were really hoping that Quinn would return this year.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
ok guys question, espn reported that top rated QB Clawson is going to Notre Dame, and that he is better than Elway, would Quinn come out in supplemental draft?

What kind of money do supplemental draftees make?? I'm assuming it's nowhere near the money he would command as the #1 pick next year. He'd be throwing money away to come out now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
No. They knew Quinn was out after this season so they got his replacement. It was a great decision on Claussen's part.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
As a soph in HS he was built like a college jr or sr.

Can he live up to hype cuz he sure looks the part and has the resume.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ok can anyone give me his info full name, link , so i can get it for a friend, the clawson kid

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:

I hate to be rude , but get a clue dude. Clausen is going to be a senior in High School this upcoming fall, while Quinn will be a senior at Notre Dame, they will not be on the ND campus together. Actually, they will be on campus together for awhile because Clausen is going to graduate early and enroll at ND next January and participate in spring practice, but I'm sure this only confuses you more.

But really why would the #1 returning QB in college football, possible Heisman Trophy winner, possible #1 selection in the 2007 NFL draft be afraid of an incoming freshman QB anyway?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
You may remember a story on Outside the Lines about this kid. He's been working with a QB coach that coached Leinart, and some of the better NFL QBs in the league.... I think Palmer(?). The story was about the way teams have been recruiting him earlier than the rules allow. But yeah, he's about to start his senior year, so I guess he can officially be "recruited" now.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Why is it that most of these HS 'phenoms' never live up to the hype? I'm not saying that Clausen will not, but it's happened alot more than these guys have fit the billing. One was even a former Notre Dame QB, Ron Powlus. It just isn't fair to them to build them up with this much hype.

And JMO, looking at the highlight tapes I believe Clausen isn't even the best QB in his class. I personally believe Clemson commit Willy Korn is as good, if not better than Clausen.

Clausen's Oak Christian school is loaded. Along with himself he probably has a 5* RB in Marc Tyler with 3-4 other players that are liking going D1A.

The one who needs to kick himself in the arse is Phil Fulmer. You have Jimmy's brother Casey and Rick both go to Tennessee, but you weren't ever really in it for his services.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
that top rated QB Clawson

The top rated QB in the country this year is Matthew Stafford from Highland Park.
See here:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2006&ra_key=1162

And he is going to UGA.

As noted, Clawson is going to be a Senior, and from what I have read, he wouldn't be rated higher than Stafford if he was a senior as well.

Matthew Stafford
p_20062.gif
spacer1.gif

Pro-style quarterbackDallas (TX)
Highland Park

Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 210 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.7 seconds

RIVALS.COM RANKINGS
stars5.gif
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif

Position Ranking: 1 Rivals.com Rivals250 2006
Rivals.com Rivals100 2006 (6)
Rivals.com Pro-style quarterbacks 2006 (1)
Rivals.com preseason Texas Top 100 2006 (2)
Rivals.com postseason Texas Top 100 2006 (2)

spacer1.gif
MATTHEWSTAFFORD2150.JPG

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
cobra said:
The top rated QB in the country this year is Matthew Stafford from Highland Park.
See here:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2006&ra_key=1162

And he is going to UGA.

As noted, Clawson is going to be a Senior, and from what I have read, he wouldn't be rated higher than Stafford if he was a senior as well.

Matthew Stafford
p_20062.gif
spacer1.gif

Pro-style quarterbackDallas (TX)
Highland Park

Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 210 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.7 seconds

RIVALS.COM RANKINGS
stars5.gif
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif

Position Ranking: 1 Rivals.com Rivals250 2006
Rivals.com Rivals100 2006 (6)
Rivals.com Pro-style quarterbacks 2006 (1)
Rivals.com preseason Texas Top 100 2006 (2)
Rivals.com postseason Texas Top 100 2006 (2)

spacer1.gif
MATTHEWSTAFFORD2150.JPG

Jimmy Clausen is considered by many to be the top recruit in America.
Peter Read Miller/SI

By Jon Mahoney, Special to SI.com, SchoolSports.com
Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.) quarterback Jimmy Clausen, the nation's No. 1 football recruit in the Class of 2007, will commit to Notre Dame tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., according to a report.

Clausen will reportedly pick Notre Dame over USC.

This past fall, Clausen completed 156 of 231 passes (67.5) for 2,778 and 30 touchdowns with just five interceptions and led Oaks Christian to its third straight CIF Southern Section Division XI championship. He threw for 3,665 yards, 57 touchdowns and only six interceptions as a sophomore.

Clausen has been called the LeBron James of high school football. His football skills are tremendously advanced for his age. He has excellent mechanics, a great arm and is a winner. This would be a great pickup for Charlie Weis and the Fighting Irish and further stamps Notre Dame as one of the nation's elite programs once again.

Before, recruits used to be all about USC. Now the Trojans look like they have competition, even for players in their own backyard.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Guys, put this thread to rest. Do you really think a concensus top 5 pick next season would up and get into the supplemental draft just because Notre Dame won out on the top recruited QB in the nation. Please. This post is a joke. Brady Quinn will lead the Irish all the way this season. Yo0u won't even see "Clausen" this year.

Hiero

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
an incoming freshmen isnt going to steal the job of a heisman candidate like Quinn. He will probably redshirt the first year, but Claussen is definitely QB of the future.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I am constantly amazed as just when I think that no thread can be dumber, there is always someone who comes out with another.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
ok guys question, espn reported that top rated QB Claussen is going to Notre Dame, and that he is better than Elway, would Quinn come out in supplemental draft?
Why would that scare him? Clawson won't attend ND in 2006, He'll be there in 2007.

If he was coming in 2006 they'd redshirt Clawson anyway. It is what they always do to blue chip HS guys coming in to a position that has a blue chip college guy in place.

Saves more years for the incoming recruit to be there as the guy at the position.

Besides if he did enter the Sup Draft we wouldn't get him. We could offer our number 1 in 2007, but guess what, 17 teams could beat us to him by virtue of a worse record and draft status. Do you really think all 17 would pass?

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Once again people, Clausen is still a junior in High School at this time. He will sign his letter of intent to attend ND in February 2007, when Brady Quinn's ND football career is over.