Red Zone Offense- what's different?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
poor OL play mostly due to injuries, we had 3 backup players on the interior this past game
The loss of both Witten and Hanna has also had an effect on the OL as both were very good blockers

poor TE play the 3 active TEs had a combined 0 catches in a real NFL game before this season

We lost Dez and Witten, that were experienced and big RZ targets.

It doesn't matter who else was open on that pass, Olawale was the primary read and was open, he just dropped it

It's worse than that. The FB was running parallel to the LOS when Dak let it go. He actually takes two steps toward the end zone when the ball is in the air, otherwise it hits him in the numbers.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Some will blame the loss of Witten and Dez but I think there's more to this than that.

I think OL injuries have been a factor. I think the play calling has been suspect at times. I think the QB has made mistakes in the RZ as well.

And then there is just generally bad luck crap like a FB dropping a wide open TD.

Beasley dropped an easy TD a couple weeks ago and he very, very rarely drops a pass. I seem to remember a pass hitting Zeke in the facemask in the EZ early in the season too. Some is just bad execution and dumb mistakes too.

lopey

Reaction score
Cowboys RZO

2016 #5
2017 #7
2018 #31

What is different about the offense? True we are missing our all-pro center but Looney has filled in admirably (up until this last game). Did Dez and Witten draw that much attention that it opened up other scoring opportunities in the RZ?

Last season Dez was #10 and Witten #38 in RZ targets. We need somebody to step up in the RZ. Who will it be? The TEs have steadily improved, in fact Jarwin and Schultz were both open on the Olawale drop. Rico? More Dak run options? We can only pound Zeke into 11 man fronts so many times before we need something different...
No tight end!

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Beats me,I wish I knew. I know there’s no chemistry or confidence when they’re coming out of,or going into one though. Between the 20’s they’re fine,but get em near an end zone and the wheels fall off the wagon.

Nexx

Reaction score
The RG has been hampered by a bad knee all year and the LG has lacked power for the first 9 games and again vs Indy.

That and dropped TDs have killed this offense

whats washington's ranking? im pretty sure they've lost almost their entire line this year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not as simple as missing targets, we're just not running those plays anymore. Remember that seam route Witten used to run from around the 15-20 yard line that Dak hit in the endzone on numerous occasions? Or the fade to Dez or TWill? You can literally throw a fade to anyone, they just don't run those plays. On the winning TD pass to Cooper against the Eagles, Cooper could have just as easily ran a fade, but they made him run a short slant. In hindsight the fade was there.
But the short slant is in DAKs wheelhouse..

Not fades.

DAK lacks the touch needed.

I would give anything to read the scouting report on DAK from opposing teams.

That would say alot.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
But the short slant is in DAKs wheelhouse..

Not fades.

DAK lacks the touch needed.

I would give anything to read the scouting report on DAK from opposing teams.

That would say alot.

I want to understand this:

You think that Dak Prescott can't throw to a spot in the end zone from inside the 20? You did see the dime he dropped to Amari from the 30 to the end zone in the Eagles game, right?

In fact, any NFL QB not named Watson can throw the fade. Watson may be able to as well...idk.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The RG has been hampered by a bad knee all year and the LG has lacked power for the first 9 games and again vs Indy.

That and dropped TDs have killed this offense
I count 2 dropped TDs this year. Last week to the FB and a few games back Bease dropped one. I can name at least 4 where Dak missed throws....and those were passes missed, not counting missed reads where receivers were open and Dak didn't see them.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Zeke in the red zone (as a runner anyway) is not the threat he used to be. Different OL, different TE and WR.

Success Rate
Elliott's runs inside 10-yd line
2018 35.0% (7 of 20)
2017 65.0% (13 of 20)
2016 66.7% (16 of 24)

There is no passing threat in the red zone other than Zeke. Again, different OL, different TE and WR.

Successful Red Zone Pass Plays
Elliott 6
Beasley 3
Cooper 2
Hurns 2

2016-17
Witten 16
Bryant 12
Beasley 10

Dre11

Reaction score
Cowboys RZO

2016 #5
2017 #7
2018 #31

What is different about the offense? True we are missing our all-pro center but Looney has filled in admirably (up until this last game). Did Dez and Witten draw that much attention that it opened up other scoring opportunities in the RZ?

Last season Dez was #10 and Witten #38 in RZ targets. We need somebody to step up in the RZ. Who will it be? The TEs have steadily improved, in fact Jarwin and Schultz were both open on the Olawale drop. Rico? More Dak run options? We can only pound Zeke into 11 man fronts so many times before we need something different...

OL OL, this isn't the same OL, should I say it again

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Need a player with a nose for the end zone, like Emmitt Smith.

Pants

Reaction score
not developing ANYONE that can replace Witten or Dez is another in a long line of reasons that these coaches need to go....utilizing witten and ONLY witten when he was winding down in his career was an obvious gaff (and many on here stated this at the time) and then we did absolutely nothing to address a WR for red zone opportunities in the off season - once Dez was gone, they thought bringing in little guys like hurns and tavon were going to make the difference?

pathetic....yes, I give the FO credit for going out and trying to fix that with the acquisition of Coop

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dez and Witten were big targets, you know Dez was getting a target if he was 1 on 1, and Witten was money. So the DB's had multiple guys to account for and then there was Zeke. We are currently without a reliable big target which leaves only Zeke. Stop Zeke and stop our offense when things are tight.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sorry, it wasn't. The back was turning to defend the fade as Dak let the ball go.

Who was turning to defend the fade? The back that tipped the ball? Um, no. He was sitting on the slant.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Who was turning to defend the fade? The back that tipped the ball? Um, no. He was sitting on the slant.

Umm...no. I'm watching the play as I type this. Amari fakes the fade, 32 opens up and is prepared to go with him.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Cowboys RZO

2016 #5
2017 #7
2018 #31

The problem is playcalling and coaches being stubborn. Most of the time we ran RPO in the redzone it was successful. Our coaches have totally abandoned that play. The have forced Dak to play as a pocket passing QB and brought in long developing plays. Thats the main problem right there.

Not once did we go with an RPO. Just shows how dumb these coaches really are.

Flamma

Reaction score
Umm...no. I'm watching the play as I type this. Amari fakes the fade, 32 opens up and is prepared to go with him.

Ok you're right. I concede this. He was ready for the fade but we have no idea how it would have played out. But I do concede your point.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Ok you're right. I concede this. He was ready for the fade but we have no idea how it would have played out. But I do concede your point.

It's cool. Since Dak had to let it go so fast with the 7 man blitz, a defender was going to have some kind of shot wherever he went. Maybe a good shot, maybe not. We got the bounce this time, right?