Redzone site: Saints sign A-Train

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Saints sign Anthony Thomas
On Sirius NFL radio’s Opening Drive show, New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett announced the Saints have signed running back Anthony Thomas. Haslett said the Saints had interest in Thomas prior to signing Antowain Smith in the offseason to backup Deuce McAllister.
Thomas was release by the Cowboys recently. He was signed in the offseason to provide depth behind starter Julius Jones. Thomas had two 1,000 yard seasons in f our years with the Chicago Bears.

Hiero

Reaction score
I dunno i think he will split time with antowain. should be able to steal the job.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Does this make any difference to us regarding his salary this year?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I figured it would be Green Bay. He fills a definite need for them. I'd start him over Antowain Smith or Aaron Stecker once he learns some of the calls.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Portland Fanatic said:
Good luck to him....
Ditto that.

Especially since he's going to such a nomadic team as the Saints. They need him, but I wouldn't wish their year on even the Commanders. That's got to be a horrible existence.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well the NFL by definition is nomadic, hey the time in SA is not so bad, their team hotel is the Marriott Riverwalk which by conicedence is one of my favorite hotels, when I was there a couple weeks ago lots of New Orleans refugees hanging out on the Riverwalk, that place by the way is fabulous this time of year, they may be the San Antonio Saints by this time next year...

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I wish him well too, he handled himself very well in Dallas in what was a pretty difficult situation for him I'm sure.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BARRYRAY said:
Well the NFL by definition is nomadic, hey the time in SA is not so bad, their team hotel is the Marriott Riverwalk which by conicedence is one of my favorite hotels, when I was there a couple weeks ago lots of New Orleans refugees hanging out on the Riverwalk, that place by the way is fabulous this time of year, they may be the San Antonio Saints by this time next year...
I understand what you're saying. But what I meant by nomadic is that there is no stability in that organization. From top to bottom. Players want a place they can call home. They want regular practice facilities. They don't want to get booted to high school practice fields, because there's a ladies quilt convention (or something to that effect) going on. Sharing conference rooms that double as coaching offices. The list goes on and on.

I've read alot of stories about what the Saints have to deal with just to get ready for a game. And it seems pretty stressful. Even at 2-7, I'm surprised they've played as well as they have.

Disclaimer: This is not to discount any other person's situation who's had to deal with the hurricanes or that the Saints could be dealing with much worse as many other people are doing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
Does this make any difference to us regarding his salary this year?

doubt it -- as I understand it, he can opt as a veteran - once in his career - to keep his full year's salary after being cut.

since we gave him a bigger deal than he'll get in the future this would be his shot to double dip on his salary.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Hiero said:
I dunno i think he will split time with antowain. should be able to steal the job.

Oh I don't know... Smith is playing REALLY well right now... averaging just under 5 yards a carry...

Hiero

Reaction score
wished we could haev at least got a 7th for him but oh well. they need the a-train a lot more than we do.

danzig

Reaction score
better with the saints than with the Eagles, in my opinion anyway

Rustinpeace21

Reaction score
Packers are dumb for not getting him, They started ReShard lee last game, and they talk about Gadoo!!!! how had like 65 yards on 30 carries no to impressive i think packers missed out on the train

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Yeah, wish him the best. Good luck down south A-train.