Reeves

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Why cant Reeves play man?

That seems to have been a big factor all year in the defensive schemes. Wade has stated that they felt better about more zone given the conditions (other corners hurt all year). I think the reliance on the zone (cover 3?) has been pretty predictable all year and Reeve's performance in zone has been terrible.

Looking at Reeves, he has superior speed and should be able to run with any WR. I dont think he has much game smarts nor any sort of feel for ball hawking but he should still be able to stay in position with most Wr's. Would this not be better than having him play off in zone and be forced to think about what to do while negating his speed?

I know he is gone and thats an improvement but I am wondering why? And I cant quite figure out how a loose zone(no big play) helps a defense built to get to the QB...seems at odds with typical thinking.

hairic

Reaction score
Man coverage is more than speed. It's more about agility and quickness, and I don't think he has the hips (agility) for it. That's why you never saw him in the slot, even when Newman was injured. It's the same deal with Henry, which is why you saw Nate Jones on Welker against New England, he's short enough to have good hips, but he's not quick at all.

You also have to be more technically sound. Handwork during press, the backpedal, balanced stance, stay bent enough to make a good break from the backpedal, etc.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
hairic;1907952 said:
Man coverage is more than speed. It's more about agility and quickness, and I don't think he has the hips (agility) for it. That's why you never saw him in the slot, even when Newman was injured. It's the same deal with Henry, which is why you saw Nate Jones on Welker against New England, he's short enough to have good hips, but he's not quick at all.

You also have to be more technically sound. Handwork during press, the backpedal, balanced stance, stay bent enough to make a good break from the backpedal, etc.
Yep.

Reeves always had great speed and good enough size... There's a reason he was a 7th round pick.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
hairic;1907952 said:

All good points.

Reeves has long ways to go to be a good CB. Right now, he isn't one, at best, slightly below average CB.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Wolfpack;1907921 said:

That seems to have been a big factor all year in the defensive schemes. Wade has stated that they felt better about more zone given the conditions (other corners hurt all year). I think the reliance on the zone (cover 3?) has been pretty predictable all year and Reeve's performance in zone has been terrible.

Looking at Reeves, he has superior speed and should be able to run with any WR. I dont think he has much game smarts nor any sort of feel for ball hawking but he should still be able to stay in position with most Wr's. Would this not be better than having him play off in zone and be forced to think about what to do while negating his speed?

I know he is gone and thats an improvement but I am wondering why? And I cant quite figure out how a loose zone(no big play) helps a defense built to get to the QB...seems at odds with typical thinking.
You asked so i will tell you. Reeves cant play man or zone, because he is flatout terrible. he's not good enough PERIOD!

OldButDeadly

Bill's Waterboy
Reaction score
cowboyrock;1908023 said:
You asked so i will tell you. Reeves cant play man or zone, because he is flatout terrible. he's not good enough PERIOD!

LOL....I remember seeing Eli throwing it to Smith (I believe) and Reeves and ole Roy both covering him thnking boy that is a bad combo....

Kev

Boysboy

Reaction score
Wolfpack;1907921 said:

The scouting report on him is that he's a Zone Corner(and would probably be suited better under Indy's/Tampa's systems).

Personally-I thought he was making nice strides as the season was progressing. However-like in previous seasons under Parcells, when the down the stretch portion of the season hit, he(like with many of the younger players) just regressed BIG TIME.

This has been the case with alot of our younger players every single year. Like Rob Pettiti back in '05-would progress OK throughout the course of the season, then just get schooled in the last month.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We actually play mostly Cover 4.

Reeves' problem is lack of quickness and makeup speed. He's got great top end speed, but he has to play soft because if the receiver gets a beat on him and he can't make up the ground.

Henry doesn't really have it either, but he's a bit smarter and more instinctive. Plus teams who throw at Henry risk the fact that he plays the ball well so he could very well come up with a pick. Reeves isn't an interception threat so teams can just throw at him without risking a major reprecussion.

YAKUZA

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1907958 said:
Yep.

Reeves always had great speed and good enough size... There's a reason he was a 7th round pick.

Thank you. No need to say anything further.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1908034 said:
We actually play mostly Cover 4.

Reeves' problem is lack of quickness and makeup speed. He's got great top end speed, but he has to play soft because if the receiver gets a beat on him and he can't make up the ground.

Henry doesn't really have it either, but he's a bit smarter and more instinctive. Plus teams who throw at Henry risk the fact that he plays the ball well so he could very well come up with a pick. Reeves isn't an interception threat so teams can just throw at him without risking a major reprecussion.

YAKUZA

Cover 4 as a base zone? Really? Any sort of breakdown or thoughts why? That seems like an odd base coverage.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
One question for this thread. name we one team that would have someone as bad as Reeves as their third CB. not even Miami would have him there. folks im sorry. but the guy is terrible. it's that simple.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Wolfpack;1908043 said:
Cover 4 as a base zone? Really? Any sort of breakdown or thoughts why? That seems like an odd base coverage.

Protects against the deep ball. Dallas likes to blitz now with Wade in charge, so to counter the risk of sending 5+ rushers (we usually only send 5), go to a Cover 4 to take away the deep stuff.

Cover 4 isn't too uncommon in the league. It's not nearly as common as the Cover 2, but it's still used quite a bit.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
cowboyrock;1908049 said:
One question for this thread. name we one team that would have someone as bad as Reeves as their third CB. not even Miami would have him there. folks im sorry. but the guy is terrible. it's that simple.

There's teams with worse #2 CB's. New Orleans is a great example. In fact, I expect that he'll wind up there next season.

YAKUZA

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1908065 said:
Protects against the deep ball. Dallas likes to blitz now with Wade in charge, so to counter the risk of sending 5+ rushers (we usually only send 5), go to a Cover 4 to take away the deep stuff.

Cover 4 isn't too uncommon in the league. It's not nearly as common as the Cover 2, but it's still used quite a bit.

YAKUZA

Thanks, that seems odd though as if you blitz you are hoping your rush gets there before a deep ball is thrown. Kinda like a hedge bet, little risk little reward (quick dump off vs. deep coverage).

Wolfpack

Reaction score
theogt;1908071 said:
A thread about football, without trolls?

There is hope.

I plan on turning this into a cut Reeves, Roy, Wade and Wade's momma thread somewhere around page 3 so stay tuned.