This post is a reference for details of Cap Calculations that I've discussed in another post. Calculations to simplify the review of new contracts for Cowboys players. I've already added Dak and Cooper into the calculations. It's your choice on new contacts for: Zeke Byron Jones Keep/Cut Tyrone Crawford Any other 2020 Cowboys Free Agent Free Agents from other teams. You have 80M to pay 12 players in the top 20 starting in 2020. The 80M is based on contract averages. The 8 shown below and players 21 to 53 take up the remaining cap space. The calculations to derive the 80M number are shown in the 2nd half of this post. Starting in 2020, add 12 players (Zeke at 15.5M would be at #4) 1 Dak Prescott 2 Demarcus Lawrence 3 Amari Cooper 4 Zack Martin 5 Tyron Smith 6 Travis Frederick 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Leighton Vander Esch 20 L.P. Ladouceur Options (choose from this list or free agents from other teams): - Don't include future draft picks on rookie contracts. Tyrone Crawford: The cost is 8M to keep him in 2020. Zeke: 15M average if re-signed. Free Agents - Medium Probability to Re-Sign Byron Jones Maliek Collins Anthony Brown Free Agents Low Probability to Re-Sign Robert Quinn La'el Collins Randall Cobb Jason Witten Sean Lee Joe Thomas Remaining Free Agents Christian Covington Jeff Heath Tavon Austin George Iloka Kerry Hyder Xavier Su'a-Filo Justin March Darian Thompson C.J. Goodwin Kavon Frazier Calculations: The NFL salary cap has increased about 8% on average each of the past 5 years. Using the rate of increase over the past 5 years to project the future 5 years, the 5 year period starting with 2020 would average 232.9M. Currently the bottom 33 players of 53 account for 16% of the cap. - It would be difficult to squeeze this group (21-53) to below 16%. That leaves 84% for the top 20. Using the 232.9M number, 84% is about 195.6M on average available for the 5 years starting with 2020. Now the average of the top 4 contracts for 2020: 21M Demarcus Lawrence 14M Zack Martin 12.2M Tyron Smith 9.4M Travis Frederick Estimates for Dak & Cooper: 34M Dak Prescott 20M Amari Cooper Now the top 6 contracts equal 110.6M average per year. That leaves 85M for players 7 to 20 (14 total players). LVE and LP will be about players 19 & 20. 2.96M Leighton Vander Esch 2.04M (estimate) L.P. Ladouceur That leaves 80M for players 7 to 18 (12 total).