Reflection on the season

kwcool619

Reaction score
Still mostly doom and gloom here. I don’t think it’s necessarily stems from this last season as much as the entire culmative results of the past quarter century.

When I think back at this season, I am going to be proud of this team. I think this season was a bigger success than 2016 considering the fact that we didn’t blow home field advantage. Our very young team won a playoff game and lost one on the road to a more talented team. We need to put together a full season so we can have one of those top 2 seeds since even though it hasn’t worked out for us lately...it is the best route to where we want to be.

Being at 3-5 at the halfway point, I never felt as disgusted with this team. After all, football is only a source of entertainment for us and I’m glad the team kept me entertained and didn’t implode when they had every chance to do so.

When I think back at this season, there is a lot to feel good about.

This season will be remembered for the Jaylon Smith coming out party. Truly one of the best stories to come out of the league on a long time IMO.

The wolf howl...LVE is our best defensive first round pick since Demarcus Ware. Can you believe how bright the future looks for our LB core?

The return of Randy Gregory. Give him another offseason and a clean head and he will be our best pass rusher next season.

Chido and Xavier—-if they progress from year 2 into year 3 like they did going into their sophomore seasons, they could be pro bowl players.

Byron Jones—-no he didn’t finish hot but all pro in his first season in the position isn’t too bad.

Amari Cooper—Look at how good he was without training camp or chemistry with our QB

Gallup—-The sky is the limit for him.

Zeke—-he proved last season was a fluke and also became a force in the passing game.

Dak—-even his biggest supporters almost wrote him off halfway through the season. At the very least, we have hope he can take another step going into next season.

This is a young team and we have proven we can play with anyone in this conference. There’s a lot to feel good about with this team. There’s still a lot of work to do and nobody is satisfied but considering the youth and potential on this roster, we should be in a position to take another step next season.

I agree with your assessment overall. It was a good season. We just need a killer instinct. And maybe some space eating DTs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I feel like this is said every offseason.

At what point do moral victories go by the wayside and we see actual real results instead of snippets that make people think next season is the season?

How about this...go figure that out now!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Our LB core last season was abysmal. Maybe the worst in football. What a difference a year makes. That’s the difference in the defense this year.

The offense still sucks. But it’s still the actual offense. With Gallup, and who I actually think could be a top 5 WR in football, Cooper, we should be flying high. Dak and Zeke are winners. Zeke needs a speed back compliment and Dak needs to play his game.

Overall it’s a good looking team but we need Richard to take over the D and make some serious innovations on offense.

First, we shall see how the coaching situation plays out, then, how contracts are divied out. We'll have a strong clue, then.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Still mostly doom and gloom here. I don’t think it’s necessarily stems from this last season as much as the entire culmative results of the past quarter century.

When I think back at this season, I am going to be proud of this team. I think this season was a bigger success than 2016 considering the fact that we didn’t blow home field advantage. Our very young team won a playoff game and lost one on the road to a more talented team. We need to put together a full season so we can have one of those top 2 seeds since even though it hasn’t worked out for us lately...it is the best route to where we want to be.

Being at 3-5 at the halfway point, I never felt as disgusted with this team. After all, football is only a source of entertainment for us and I’m glad the team kept me entertained and didn’t implode when they had every chance to do so.

This season will be remembered for the Jaylon Smith coming out party. Truly one of the best stories to come out of the league on a long time IMO.

The wolf howl...LVE is our best defensive first round pick since Demarcus Ware. Can you believe how bright the future looks for our LB core?

The return of Randy Gregory. Give him another offseason and a clean head and he will be our best pass rusher next season.

Chido and Xavier—-if they progress from year 2 into year 3 like they did going into their sophomore seasons, they could be pro bowl players.

Byron Jones—-no he didn’t finish hot but all pro in his first season in the position isn’t too bad.

Amari Cooper—Look at how good he was without training camp or chemistry with our QB

Zeke—-he proved last season was a fluke and also became a force in the passing game.

Dak—-even his biggest supporters almost wrote him off halfway through the season. At the very least, we have hope he can take another step going into next season.

This is a young team and we have proven we can play with anyone in this conference. There’s a lot to feel good about with this team. There’s still a lot of work to do and nobody is satisfied but considering the youth and potential on this roster, we should be in a position to take another step next season.
Nice work, guy...I just don't cry in my beer like some others on thread. If I need a shot, I'll just take one or a couple.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I agree with lots of those things. I think we were a Defensive Line away from being in the Super Bowl. The rest of our units are solid-to-great overall, with potential to be league leading next year. We just have some weak sauce players on the defensive line, and Scott Linehan's offense must be frustratingly uncomfortable to our players. Even with our weak Defensive Line who needed only to make a few more stops against the Rams, we still had a chance for a huge upset in LA. And we could've certainly beat the Saints when Brees plays an overall erratic game like he did Sunday. Those are the breaks. It's a league of a few slights and a couple of things go our way.... and we would've found ourselves in the Super Bowl.

robjay04

Reaction score
I feel like this is said every offseason.

At what point do moral victories go by the wayside and we see actual real results instead of snippets that make people think next season is the season?

Just take it for what it is.

Entertainment.

I want a championship as much as anyone but I am still going to look back at this season as memorable and entertaining. We definitely have a lot to feel good about as fans.

31 other franchises are going to be in the same boat as us..hoping next year is our chance. When we finally do get another title, hopefully all these disappointments make it taste even sweeter.

visionary

Reaction score
Looking back at 3-5 reminds me of the Good Old Days--and when I say Good Old Days I mean a couple months ago--when a minority of the franchise's fans wanted the front office and players to embrace their hope of tanking. But the team did not agree.

Good times man. Good times.

Yes the season was a good 'turn around story' but that is garretts history. Good enough to be relevant but nothing more

I'm not in the 'relevant is ok because we could be wore' camp

We need to take the next step which would (at a minimum) be 2 playoff wins back to back next season and not back into the 'miss the playoffs next season because we play a first place schedule' thing

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Looking back at 3-5 reminds me of the Good Old Days--and when I say Good Old Days I mean a couple months ago--when a minority of the franchise's fans wanted the front office and players to embrace their hope of tanking. But the team did not agree.

Good times man. Good times.
Those fans have no shame in being quitters. It’s who they are and I give them credit for embracing it. It can’t be easy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, no. I'm too old to be proud of this season. I remember when the standards were much higher than that.

If I let Jerry Jones redefine for me what constitutes success for this team, I do a disservice to the men who built this franchise into what it was.

I will never do that. I'll always hold the Cowboys to the same standard that Tex, Tom, Gil and later Jimmy did because if I don't then they are truly dead to me.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes the season was a good 'turn around story' but that is garretts history. Good enough to be relevant but nothing more

I'm not in the 'relevant is ok because we could be wore' camp

We need to take the next step which would (at a minimum) be 2 playoff wins back to back next season and not back into the 'miss the playoffs next season because we play a first place schedule' thing
I agree with any expectation for improvement regardless of what might pose as an obstacle to the team going forward. My post was a recollection of what the OP referred to only.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, no. I'm too old to be proud of this season. I remember when the standards were much higher than that.

If I let Jerry Jones redefine for me what constitutes success for this team, I do a disservice to the men who built this franchise into what it was.

I will never do that. I'll always hold the Cowboys to the same standard that Tex, Tom, Gil and later Jimmy did because if I don't then they are truly dead to me.
I agree... you are too old.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those fans have no shame in being quitters. It’s who they are and I give them credit for embracing it. It can’t be easy.
Quitting aside, I am not fully certain some people think things completely through when accepting that line of reasoning. There is not set guarantee. It is a gambling for a hopeful outcome, pure and simple. The primary counter-argument of 'improved odds created by tanking' is introduced into conversation but the item is not quantifiable. Basically, tanking is just wishing upon a star thinking.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, no. I'm too old to be proud of this season.
You are only feeling your age due to lack of mobility. You need one of these bad boys to get your adrenaline pumping again!

Scooters-Prowler-4wheels-SM.jpg

Check out the sweet basket attachment. :starspin:

Brax

Reaction score

You forget we are living in the participation award generation, posters just happy Cowboys participated, losing is no big deal that's why they are so keen on everyone getting that trophy. Next year might be tough as that dreaded first place schedule will most likely lead to another mediocre season, not to worry trophies for all.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Great post brother glad some folks saw the positives in this season

I really think it was great watching this young team grow together . Im excited this off season that we could finally add some pieces in FA to help us and another good draft will get us a bit deeper in the playoffs .

Its nice in this world of instant gratification some fans still have the patients to be positive while they watch the team progress

Blackrain

Reaction score

Yep Im old and I remember the standards , lived them in the moment . They will never be duplicated in our lifetime sure we might win a SB but the level of dominance will never be there again . The league has seen to that . Those 70s teams are kept in a special place in my memory untainted by what the NFL and this team has evolved into .

IMO Jerry did the disservice after Tom and Jimmy and built the franchise to serve his ego first instead of win championships. If I could have I should have stopped following then but I was just too far invested .
I no longer hold the team to the old standards because I feel in this day and age with Jerry as the owner it is an unrealistic expectation . I am just happy to see some progress in spite of the amount of Dysfunction Jerry brings .

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Cowboys will be making a huge mistake if they give him a long term deal

Throw him in the gutta and go get anotha - Eazy E

You can find any bum who can get you 48 yards in a playoff game

Zeke should be the odd man out in our how do we sign all our guys conundrum

I wouldn’t sign Byron Jones either
:facepalm: Ok

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I transition from the Rams lost to the off season quicker than any season in recent memory. Excited about the off season and the moves this team will make.