Refrigerator Repair Story

Creeper

Reaction score
3 weeks ago my Samsung refrigerator, which I bought about 7 years ago, stopped cooling in the fridge compartment, the freezer continued to freeze at -2 degrees.

To make a long story short, I had a repair guy come in and he replaced the defrost heater in the fridge along with 2 other parts. It cost me $750! But A new fridge would have cost about $2000 with sales tax and all the other crap.

But the next morning after it was "repaired", my wife smelled something burning in the fridge. So I opened it up as I had seen him do and I saw the heating unit he installed was the wrong size and was fit outside the metal shield that surrounds the cooling coils and defrosting unit. The heater was literally melting and burning the plastic lining of the fridge compartment! I went on Amazon, (where else) and found the correct parts and ordered them for under $100.

The idiot who did the repair could have burned my house down while my wife and I were sleeping! I called the company back and told them I want a refund for the parts he installed that were the incorrect parts. They are lucky there was no fire.

I should have just bought a new fridge. These things are designed to fail after 5 or 6 years. The repair people just rip you off and have no clue what they are doing.

We renovated out kitchen and laundry room about 7 years ago. We purchased all new appliances including over/stove, a wall over microwave unit, fridge, washer dryer and dishwasher. Every one of these appliances has malfunctioned over the last 2 years, except the dishwasher which came free with the Thermador stove. Every appliance has been repaired and every repair cost at least $500. These are not cheap appliances. They are all quality brands. The moral of the story is, buy regular brands that are lower priced. The expensive ones break just as quickly and cost more to repair. In fact, don't repair them. Buy new ones and expect to replace them in 6 years.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The prices of new Appliances is through the roof, had more than one repairman tell me older is better. I have a Gas Stove from the 80s that is still working and built like a tank. Did you get a refund?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Samsung is great for TVs and such, but not large appliances. I've had my Kenmore fridge for 21 years, and had to replace 1 part in all that time, which cost me about $80, IIRC. My stove is also a Kenmore, and I bought it at the same time, and have had zero problems...and I bought them both at a Sears Outlet store, with minor dents that are hidden by the cabinets and walls. $800 for the fridge, and about $500 for the stove.

My friend whom I meet at Hooters, to watch the Cowboys told me this past Sunday that he had major issues with his relatively new Samsung refrigerator too. After being "fixed", it was leaking in the back, went down under his hardwood floors and ruined his floor with mold. Buying a Samsung fridge cost him a whole new fridge and a hardwood floor.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
The prices of new Appliances is through the roof, had more than one repairman tell me older is better. I have a Gas Stove from the 80s that is still working and built like a tank. Did you get a refund?

Not yet. I am going to contest the charges with my credit car company if they do not agree to a refund. A guys is supposed to be here sometime to day to assess the damage.

Creeper

Reaction score
Samsung is great for TVs and such, but not large appliances. I've had my Kenmore fridge for 21 years, and had to replace 1 part in all that time, which cost me about $80, IIRC. My stove is also a Kenmore, and I bought it at the same time, and have had zero problems...and I bought them both at a Sears Outlet store, with minor dents that are hidden by the cabinets and walls. $800 for the fridge, and about $500 for the stove.

My friend whom I meet at Hooters, to watch the Cowboys told me this past Sunday that he had major issues with his relatively new Samsung refrigerator too. After being "fixed", it was leaking in the back, went down under his hardwood floors and ruined his floor with mold. Buying a Samsung fridge cost him a whole new fridge and a hardwood floor.

I had that problem with my old fridge which was GE. It was a leak in the water feed for the ice maker. I think ice makers are responsible for 80% of all refrigerator problems. When I redid my kitchen I found the plywood subfloor was all dry rotted and was literally allowing the back wheel of the fridge to break through the floor to the basement. I had no idea there was a leak or the damage that was occurring. But the floor plate that the wall studs were nailed to was rotted out too. I had to rip it all out and replace it before the new flooring could go in.

My tip of the day is do not use hardwood in the kitchen or laundry room unless you put a pan and drain under the appliances. Hardwood floors are nice but not fond of water.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had that problem with my old fridge which was GE. It was a leak in the water feed for the ice maker. I think ice makers are responsible for 80% of all refrigerator problems. When I redid my kitchen I found the plywood subfloor was all dry rotted and was literally allowing the back wheel of the fridge to break through the floor to the basement. I had no idea there was a leak or the damage that was occurring. But the floor plate that the wall studs were nailed to was rotted out too. I had to rip it all out and replace it before the new flooring could go in.

My tip of the day is do not use hardwood in the kitchen or laundry room unless you put a pan and drain under the appliances. Hardwood floors are nice but not fond of water.
His was leaking from the condenser, I think. It wasn't the water supply.

I'd never even consider a hardwood floor in the kitchen: Tile or linoleum.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks. It's not even the money. It is the principle of the thing. I wait 2 1/2 weeks for them to get the parts to fix the fridge, which I subsequently ordered from Amazon and will receive in 2 days. The plus side is I am not capable of making this repair myself.
Typo?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Amazon is great for some Appliance parts that may be hard to find locally. Bough several parts for a Washer on Amazon and installed them myself. Even found something for a older Honda CRV that Auto Zone/etc did not have.
Me thinks it may be a Typo.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Amazon is great for some Appliance parts that may be hard to find locally. Bough several parts for a Washer on Amazon and installed them myself. Even found something for a older Honda CRV that Auto Zone/etc did not have.
Me thinks it may be a Typo.
Between Amazon and YouTube, DIY has definitely gotten cheaper and easier.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Between Amazon and YouTube, DIY has definitely gotten cheaper and easier.

Yep, had a Toilet that would not flush properly, replaced the Flapper adjusted the chain with really no difference. Found a older Plumber on YT who said he has fixed many a toilet by making sure the rim jets were clean as well as pouring vinegar down the overflow tube. All it took it was some vinegar, a mirror/coat hanger and about a hours time and it flushed like it was brand new.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

BTW, GE's are usually very good refrigerators. I assume the leak had more to do with the installation than with the fridge itself?

Creeper

Reaction score
BTW, GE's are usually very good refrigerators. I assume the leak had more to do with the installation than with the fridge itself?

The fridge was 17 years old. I gave it away and it was still working. I didn't notice the dry rot until after I pull up the linoleum floor. All I saw was a little dent where the wheel was. After peeling up the linoleum, I saw the extent of the damage after following the dry rot in all directions.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

mmm watching the game at Hooters? you sure?

nobody

Reaction score
I had a Samsung dishwasher for a few years. I had nothing but problems with it. Fortunately it was covered by my homeowner's insurance or it would have been more cost effective to buy a new one. Finally it gave out and the homeowner's insurance just cut me a check to help buy a new one. I'm never buying another Samsung appliance again.

@Runwildboys is right. They're great for tv's and stuff like that, but for appliances they suuuuuuuck