Regardless of new coach - how much time do you give for adjustment?

DarthVander

Reaction score
Say your favorite coaching candidate is now the head coach for the Cowboys (I'm hoping for Meyer), how much time do you give him as an adjustment period?

For some reason, I keep going back to what happened with McDaniels when he was head coach for the Broncos:
1st season: 8-8
2nd season: 3-9 (fired)

I would've given him some more time.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Say your favorite coaching candidate is now the head coach for the Cowboys (I'm hoping for Meyer), how much time do you give him as an adjustment period?

For some reason, I keep going back to what happened with McDaniels when he was head coach for the Broncos:

I hope it's Meyer also. In terms of time, i would want to see what Urban would do with some current players. If he shipped a few out, i'm guessing that might require more time to get it the way he wants it. If not i would expect results in 2 or 3 years.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Depends on if they bring in a new OC or install a new playbook. If the players have to learn a new system or scheme (which I expect) then it may take some time. But if we stay run first on Offense then we should be fine. And our Defense. Well I am not sure if it can get any worse. Our ST is last anyways so no where to go but up.

mardwin

Reaction score
This team needs some work:

Year 1 - There needs to be a purification process in regards to the culture, the first year would be a transitional year for the staff to begin introducing the new culture and evaluate the current talent on the roster.
Year 2 - Reload roster talent, set core players on both sides of the ball and establish scheme philosophy.
Year 3 - Show some playoff success.
Year 4 - Build from the previous year.

4-years sounds right for the new coaching regime to achieve the goal of play in Feb.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
3 years, hell I'd even go 5 if the organization comes to terms with Meyer. That's about his shelf life anyway.

Otto65

Reaction score

I hope it is Urban Meyer also. I think it will take 3-4 years to turn it around. This group is 8-8. Changes need to be made to this roster. Trades need to happen. Accumulate draft picks need to happen. Cowboys need more hitters who love contact. A whole new attitude needs to be instilled. That will take time.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Bill took a 5-11 team with out an NFL QB and got 10-6 out of them. Here I would expect 12-4.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I'd give the new coach three seasons. We cannot have another Garrett situation ever again.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
First preseason game obviously. New HC has to come out guns blazing.

First opinion is the end all be all.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
3 years, hell I'd even go 5 if the organization comes to terms with Meyer. That's about his shelf life anyway.
Side track sorry, but needs to be said anyway. There might be some people who want Romo to HC. That's why your shelf life statement is so important. You hire Meyer now, 5 year shelf life, hopefully a SB is won in that time, then you relook at a possible Romo hiring. Hiring Romo now would be a little insane on Jerry's part. Hiring Romo at all might be insane, but good timing would make it doable and this is not the time for it.

Sorry please continue.

scottsp

Reaction score
For this team, a month. I would say a preseason should do.

Reactions: JPM

Doomsay

Reaction score
If we are building towards something and not making the same damn errors, year-after-year, then...4-5 seasons. With Garrett, winning home field advantage throughout the playoffs was meaningless because you knew he'd start making T-shirts rather than prepare. And that he'd tank the next season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope it's Meyer also. In terms of time, i would want to see what Urban would do with some current players. If he shipped a few out, i'm guessing that might require more time to get it the way he wants it. If not i would expect results in 2 or 3 years.
I think Meyer minimum could get us back to 2018 level next season

GMO415

Reaction score
If we can keep the core of our talent, the new HC should establish a change of culture, and show immediate playoff success. This isn't college, where we have to recruit talent and build a program. Its win now.