Reggie Bush

Verdict

Reaction score
The question I pose is "Is Reggie Bush really worth the overall number 1 pick?"

I am thinking that in the long run the answer might be "no". The reason I say this is I don't see him being used as an every down running back (in the traditional sense). He doesn't have the body mass to pound the line like an NFL back has to do.

Therefore, he will either be situationally used as a running back (in the traditional role) or used as more of a receiver, which he is capable of doing on a regular basis. The team that drafts him might be able to use him every down, IF.... IF mind you, they dont try to use him in the traditional running back role.

If he is used situationally, he wont be worth top 5 money. If he is used extensively, I doubt he will hold up to an NFL beating he will take year in and year out.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Unless he bulks up a little and start to run inside the tackles on occassion. He will be grossly overpaid as a RB.

If he plays lines up at WR and their goal is to use him like say...Brian Westbrook, he will still be grossly overpaid.

I hate the way that 1st rounders get paid. No wonder veteran guys are holding out every year.

jem88

Reaction score
I hadn't seen much of him previously, but the words 'Rocket Ismail' came to mind after seeing him in the Rose Bowl. Take that however you want. If I were the Texans, I'd be hoping that someone wanted to trade up for the 1st overall pick. Might be easier said than done.

ghst187

Reaction score
he's like Michael Vick that doesn't try to pretend he's a QB.
Just get the guy the ball and let him run, its electrifying.

His success will largely depend on the situation and system he's put into. If a team tries to make him a 25 carry per game back, they'll lose. If they mix it up and give him 12-15 carries per game and 5-8 passes, they'll be glad they took him.
Guy is gonna have some highlight reels, just how many years' worth will depend on the brains that determine how to utilize his amazing talent.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
he's like Michael Vick that doesn't try to pretend he's a QB.
Just get the guy the ball and let him run, its electrifying.

His success will largely depend on the situation and system he's put into. If a team tries to make him a 25 carry per game back, they'll lose. If they mix it up and give him 12-15 carries per game and 5-8 passes, they'll be glad they took him.
Guy is gonna have some highlight reels, just how many years' worth will depend on the brains that determine how to utilize his amazing talent.

I think of Marshal Faulk when I see Bush. I think bush is a great fit for a WCO team

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
i see Bush, as a faulk kind of guy, so in that sense, no he's not worth the #1 overall, sorry but for a westbrook/faulk/ kind of guy,

I would rather use the pick to either trade down, or get me a player who will get the ball on every down, and controls the offense, and the game (depending on his talent level) ala Young, or Leinhart.

Speaking in my opinion i'll take White over Bush, in every draft you put me in.

White is more consitent, and up to the task, Bush has electricity yes, but can he survivie in the NFL?

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Verdict said:
The question I pose is "Is Reggie Bush really worth the overall number 1 pick?"

I am thinking that in the long run the answer might be "no". The reason I say this is I don't see him being used as an every down running back (in the traditional sense). He doesn't have the body mass to pound the line like an NFL back has to do.

There have been some pretty good RB's that weren't/aren't all that bulky yet had some success in the NFL:

R. Bush: 6'0", 200 lbs.

Barry Sanders: 5'8", 200 lbs.
Tiki Barber: 5'10", 200 lbs.
Clinton Portis: 5'11", 205 lbs.
Warrick Dunn: 5'9", 180 lbs.
Brian Westbrook: 5'10", 205 lbs.
Quentin Griffin: 5'7", 195 lbs.
Charlie Garner: 5'10", 190 lbs.

Then again, all those RB's were/are shorter than Bush so they had/have lower centers-of-gravity which would have/make them a little more difficult to tackle/upend/bring off their feet than a taller guy like Bush who runs upright sometimes. Perhaps like Dunn, Griffin and Westbrook, Bush just needs the right system to be in to succeed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
There have been some pretty good RB's that weren't/aren't all that bulky yet had some success in the NFL:

Then again, all those RB's were/are shorter than Bush so they had/have lower centers-of-gravity which would have/make them a little more difficult to tackle/upend/bring off their feet than a taller guy like Bush who runs upright sometimes. Perhaps like Dunn, Griffin and Westbrook, Bush just needs the right system to be in to succeed.

But would you spend a #1 overall pick on Dunn, Westbrook, Griffin or Garner? I wouldn't. Sanders, Barber and Portis, yes. I would also spend that pick on Marshall Faulk. He has been a great running back. If Bush turns into that type of player he will be worth it. Now will he?

MrPhil

Reaction score
I would be curious to see the % of #1 overall who WERE actually worth it. My guess is that it won't be as high as people would think.

joseephuss

Reaction score
MrPhil said:
I would be curious to see the % of #1 overall who WERE actually worth it. My guess is that it won't be as high as people would think.

Russell Maryland wasn't worth it. Steve Walsh as the forfeited pick by way of the supplemental draft was not worth it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Bush is going to be a great player in the NFL. He has shown very good speed and acceleration, has outstanding moves and vision. Great coming out of the backfield and has good hands. I see a lot of Barry Sanders in Bush

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:

How about the all time leading rusher?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
If I have the #1 overall pick, I take D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Don't even think twice.

MrPhil

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Russell Maryland wasn't worth it. Steve Walsh as the forfeited pick by way of the supplemental draft was not worth it.

Steve Walsh......ugh.

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
What players did we end up with after Walsh was traded?

Verdict

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
What players did we end up with after Walsh was traded?

But I'm thinking we got several picks for him, including a first rounder.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
White is more consitent, and up to the task, Bush has electricity yes, but can he survivie in the NFL?
Wow, you just did an excellent job of comparing Barber to Julius.