Reggie Wayne gets new contract

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5351986
The free-agency period has yet to begin but one potential free agent has already hit for a big payday.
FOXSports.com has learned that the Colts agreed to terms Wednesday with wide receiver Reggie Wayne on a six-year deal worth nearly $40 million including $13.5 million in bonus money. Wayne was slated to become an unrestricted free agent and his signing now weakens an already extremely weak receiver free agent class. While the contract terms have been agreed upon by both sides Wayne has not yet officially signed and should as soon as the NFL approves the deal.
The deal also makes him the third highest-paid receiver in the NFL behind teammate Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. By getting the Wayne deal done the Colts do not have to use the franchise tag on him, a move they were primed to make had they not worked out a new contract. It's unclear whether they will use the tag on free agent running back Edgerrin James, but right now that appears to be unlikely.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
good...keep his overpayed @$$ out of dallas

i swear indy is ********, making him #3 payed WR and not signing edge. they are no longer a super bowl calibre team IMO

Eskimo

Reaction score
That's an awful lot of money for a #2 WR.

I will say that I think Wayne will probably become the #1 WR in Indy next year as Harrison is showing signs of fading.

I don't know how Indy can afford to keep two such highly paid WRs, pay Manning and field a well-balanced team. I think their strategy in working with the cap is flawed here. In the long-term, they were probably better off letting Harrison walk last year.

I'm pretty sure Edge is a goner and they will hope a good RB drops to them on draft day. I saw one mock with Maroney falling and that would be a big coup for them.

Eddie

Reaction score
Lemme guess how this $40 mil contract looks like:

Year 1 - $500,000
Year 2 - $1,000,000
Year 3 - $1,500,000
Year 4 - $2,000,000
Year 5 - $2,500,000
Year 6 - $32,500,000

They'll cut him in year 6 and eat $2.25 mil of his signing bonus.

These are bogus contracts

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Eddie said:

Year 1 - $500,000
Year 2 - $1,000,000
Year 3 - $1,500,000
Year 4 - $2,000,000
Year 5 - $2,500,000
Year 6 - $32,500,000

True but the players are not concerned as much with the yearly salary they want the big check up front called the signing bonus, that is money in hand the rest of it is a means to get the player under the cap both parties know it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Year 1 - $500,000
Year 2 - $1,000,000
Year 3 - $1,500,000
Year 4 - $2,000,000
Year 5 - $2,500,000
Year 6 - $32,500,000

lol...i guess relatively speaking 2.25 is much less than 32.5

good move by indy if its backloaded a lot

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Colts reminds me of the Dallas Mavericks a few years back. Offense,offense,offense.
SuperBowl coaches know where the bread and butter should be....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Colts reminds me of the Dallas Mavericks a few years back. Offense,offense,offense.

True but if you look at their draft last season the Colts 1st 3 picks were all defense and 6 defensive players in total.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Sad thing is that the offense, offense, offense let them down in the playoffs. The defense did not give up alot of points and was not the reason that they lost to the Steelers.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Sad thing is that the offense, offense, offense let them down in the playoffs. The defense did not give up alot of points and was not the reason that they lost to the Steelers.

It seems when the Colts play a really physical team... like the Chargers, and they get hit in the mouth, they just wilt... the OL looks good at times against inferior opponents, but like their play vs. SD and Pitt, they were just bludgeoned... late game comebacks are just too little too late for Indy playing a physical team... Peyton winds up smirking and shaking his head on the sidelines... That sends a confused message through Colts camp which is not good. But, saying all that I hope they look confused next year when they come to Big D, with Peyton shaking his head once again.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I like ball control offense. And they are getting rid of their only possibility of having that in Edge. You start to flinging the ball around all over the place, great blitzing teams will destroy you.

david_jackson

Reaction score
Either the there will be a new CBA with a significant rise is cap space or there will be an Uncapped year. In either case there will be an escalation is salaries greater than previous yea-to-year increases. So a signing that looks over the top based on previous experience could be looked back on in retrospect as a bargain. There are some smart folks in theh FO around the league that have this all figured out.

superpunk

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:

They lost to the Steelers because Cortez was on the team. Nothing more, nothing less. I saw him, on the sideline, yelling to Harper.."Cut back to the middle of the field, cut back to the middle!" Then, Larry Allen climbed out of the stand and ripped his head off.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
If signing Corey Simon was the first nail in the Colt's coffin, wasting all this money on a #2 receiver will be the last. With no running game, Manning will truly be exposed for the fraud he is now.:mad:

I hate the colts and I hope they self destruct worse than the Eagles next year. :laugh1:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
they never were in the first place

David

they had the talent to be a super bowl team last year...hell they won what 13 in a row

im saying that now they wont even be competing for it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
they had the talent to be a super bowl team last year...hell they won what 13 in a row

im saying that now they wont even be competing for it

Right now they are the odds on favorite to win it all. I think the Colts will still be a contender this coming season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
If signing Corey Simon was the first nail in the Colt's coffin, wasting all this money on a #2 receiver will be the last. With no running game, Manning will truly be exposed for the fraud he is now.:mad:

I hate the colts and I hope they self destruct worse than the Eagles next year. :laugh1:

Manning is no fraud. I don't think he is the best QB ever or anything like that, but the guy can play. He is also asked to do a lot as the QB of the Colts. If you look at the QBs that were in the playoffs this season, he was the one that is asked to do the most for his team. Guys like Plummer, Delhomme, Grossman and Simms were asked not to lose games. Roethlisberger, Hasselback, Eli Manning, Brunnel, Palmer and Leftwich were asked to do a little more for their teams, but they weren't asked to win the games on their own. Brady gets even more responsibility, but is still not at the level of expectation as Manning. The Colts lean very heavily on Manning and I just don't think you can do that in today's NFL.

I don't think Manning can be leaned on to just carry a team, but I think he would do well in a system where he is asked to make some plays here and there. He will never live up to the expectations, but that does not mean that he sucks or is a fraud.

I don't like the move by Indy. That is a lot of money to tie into the wide receiver position. Reggie Wayne is nice, but he isn't that special.