Release Crawford and sign Clowney

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep... you don't pay for " Almost Anthony's " ....:p
Anthony Spencer was a far better player than most fans believe.

His role in the Wade Phillips defense was difficult. They had to have a "3 tool" player in that SOLB role (play the run, play in coverage and rush the passer).

As the WOLB, Ware rarely had to drop into coverage. Ware also often didn't have out contain responsibilities vs the run with ILB or Safety help while Spencer was often on island having to make the correct choice between dropping into coverage, staying up to defense the outside run or rushing the passer. Spencer often had to "read" the RB to make his decision.

The Cowboys had some other players that did OK when they played snaps at Ware's position (Victor Butler for instance); however, those players were a disaster when they played Spencer's position because it was too complicated.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Releasing Crawford would free up $8 million in cap space.

That freed up money should allow for enough cap space to sign Clowney to a 1 year prove it deal at $16 million (it is being reported he turned down a $15 million one year deal with the Browns) since he remains a free agent late into the offseason.

In my view, this move has a few benefits:

1) Clowney is a better player than Crawford and has a much higher ceiling.

Clowney has 32 sacks in his 6 years in the NFL and that is including his rookie year where it was cut short to only 4 games because of injury. Since then, Clowney has missed a total of 9 games in 5 seasons.

Crawford, on the other hand, has had 23 sacks in 8 seasons. That does include the 2013 season where he was IRd for an ACL injury he suffered in training camp. He remained healthy after that, but he only played 4 games last season after having another injury that brought his season to an end.

2) Clowney has better position flexibility than Crawford does. Clowney can playe DE or move inside if needed. Crawford is a better 3T than a DE, which is where he is expected to play a majority of the time.

3) Signing Clowney to a 1 year deal will make him want to play at a high level at all times and tough out injuries.

4) Clowney is only 27 and Crawford is 30. Clowney is more apt to have a big year, which would improve his market dramatically next year. We wouldn't be able to sign him, but he would yield us a 3rd round comp pick in 2022.

Bring in Clowney and say goodbye to Crawford.

I would prefer Griffen. Assistant Defensive Coordinator George Edwards and Griffen were both with the Vikings.

quickccc

Reaction score
Anthony Spencer was a far better player than most fans believe.

His role in the Wade Phillips defense was difficult. They had to have a "3 tool" player in that SOLB role (play the run, play in coverage and rush the passer).

As the WOLB, Ware rarely had to drop into coverage. Ware also often didn't have out contain responsibilities vs the run with ILB or Safety help while Spencer was often on island having to make the correct choice between dropping into coverage, staying up to defense the outside run or rushing the passer. Spencer often had to "read" the RB to make his decision.

The Cowboys had some other players that did OK when they played snaps at Ware's position (Victor Butler for instance); however, those players were a disaster when they played Spencer's position because it was too complicated.

Before his lone 11 sack season prior to his microfracture knee injury and eventual decline and departure from
NFL for good, Spencer was averaging only 4.5 sacks. per season.

Why ? because he was " Almost Anthony" ?... because he'd' arrive too late whiff and could not finish.
If it was a TE, he had a better chance at pass rushing , if it was an accomplished RT, he didn't have a
chance and many times made a no-factor. Only credit you could say that he played the run fairly well.

But that's not what you spend a first round pick on a 3-4 edge OLB for.
Spencer thrive being here so long because the Cowboys could never groom or prepare another
opposite player from DWare. Such that they even panicked and franchise tagged him once, to
perhaps to buy more time .

dfense

Reaction score
Not at all. Enlighten us as to how exactly "how bad the Dline sucked after Crawford went down"?

I'll wait...
:rolleyes:
Count how many 15 yard runs went Quinns way. He rushed up field on every play. Never played the run first. It was all about sacks $$$

luckyman76

Reaction score
No he apparently doesn't know it... That is why he is still unsigned and from reports will stay that way for awhile.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-with-jadeveon-clowney/ar-BB15pfTQ?li=BBnba9I

Report: NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jadeveon Clowney went into free agency expecting NFL teams to shower him with market-setting contract offers.

Now, with training camp just a month away, Clowney remains a free agent and it seems NFL clubs have had enough in negotiating with him.

Clowney reportedly expected to be signed by an NFL contender by now, with a deal worth at least $20 million per season. Instead, he is waiting and hoping for a market that never showed strong interest in him to suddenly change.

Organizations have spent several months talking to Clowney’s agent, Bus Cook, in an attempt to bring down the contract demands. Clowney, reportedly, isn’t willing to budge. That has reportedly driven multiple teams to the point of giving up.

“I’ve talked to multiple teams that have done the dance with Bus Cook, Clowney’s agent, and they’re tired of it,” reports Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports. “… Teams are done, they’re just done. Like, ‘All right, man. Whatever. You know what our stance is, you know what our numbers are. We’re moving on'”

In fact, according to Robinson, front offices around the league have reportedly sent a message to Clowney through his agent: Until he decides to accept that he isn’t worth the number he is seeking, no one will be calling him...

This is one report that I believe 100% on Clowney's dumb ***. Complete misread the market and his value (contract/ability/production/availability). Nothing is going to happen to Crawford until after Dak's contract is signed. I am guessing the goodwill will be greased at the last minute that he doesn't get cut or take a pay cut in the final year but if France stiffs the Cowboys he gets cut or takes a cut. I bet Clowney has only received 1 year offers at $15M. If Dallas REALLY wanted Clowney I would throw a 5yr/$60M deal at them with 1st 3yr at lower pay scale guaranteed and give Bus Cook 24 hours or the deal is off the table (no shopping the deal). I am betting that may be something his agent might have to jump at now. His mercenary ploy didn't work in Seattle and it won't work next year. He was neither available or productive. He's not getting his $20M/per next year. Granted I am not the biggest fan of Clowney either.

Reactions: BAT

jrumann59

Reaction score
Sign clowney so we can have all the pissing moaning about his contract like crawfords for the next 5 years.